Video Editing Software

donv

Silver Member
I picked up a digital video camera for my grandaughter for Christmas and like it enough that I picked one up for myself. I would like to be able to edit unwanted stuff from the recordings and add text if that's possible. I'm hoping or assuming something worthwhile along the lines of Garage Band or Pro Tools is available as freeware or shareware yet simple enough to fit into the realm of "Video Editing for Dummies?" I'd like to get to know something about editing before considering dropping money on a program. I found some stuff by googling, but don't know enough to know what is good or bad, or even worthwhile. I've had some good experiences with shareware, but some really bad ones also. Can anyone suggest anything or share some advice? I read that something comes with Windows XP and later, but I'm still on Windows 2000 so I don't have whatever it is that now comes with Windows.

Also, I see a lot of "out of sync," audio to video and vice versa stuff on the internet, especially youtube, so can anyone tell me what's going on with this problem? It seems prevalent enough to be more then a simple camera problem but I don't know.

Thanks.

I've been using AVS video editing software. It works pretty well and it is easy enough for me to work. We got a new piece of equipment at work and I got assingned to shoot a video of its first run. I ended up with 40 little movies that I managed to make into 1. You can add different effects, text, and separate audio. This program, to me, is easier to use than the Windows Movie Maker.

It is shareware and will leave a watermark on your finished video, but I like it.

I use a Mac and iMovie is easy to use. Also QuickTime Player is easy to use. You can get a windows version of QuickTime. There are many other programs also that are simple.
GarageBand can also be used. I have used it many times. iMovie is my favorite. If you get XP or better MS Movie Maker is also good.

I've use and like Sony Vegas.

It's not free, but does come at different price points, so you don't have to buy the top versions if you want the basic version.

I've never gotten Windows Movie Maker to work.

Once again, thanks everyone for the sharing and the advice. Nothing on the video and audio being out of snyc though?

Once again, thanks everyone for the sharing and the advice. Nothing on the video and audio being out of snyc though?
I haven't experienced that problem with my You Tube uploads.
I do know that if you load your video into GarageBand you can separate the audio from the video and sync them. I have done this when I wanted to enhance the audio portion of a vid with no problems. I sent the audio to a forum member and he worked on the tracks for me.
He sent the audio tracks back to me and I rejoined them with the videos.

Back