Suggestions for a classy wrap...

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Looking for ideas for a classy (not gawdy) wrap for a new set of Ludwig's. I'm thinking Silver Sparkle or Silver Glass Glitter. I understand that the Arctic White Glitter isn't available anymore. Something for a society/wedding scene that would also work for rock gigs. Opinions?

When you say "classy", the first thing I think of is white marine pearl, but then you specify rock gigs as well, so that kinda screws the pooch on that idea. Yeah, silver sparkle or silver glass glitter works like a charm. There IS a big difference between the two and the way that they sparkle/sheen, so make sure you know which one you want.

Can't wait for the thread on your new kit...

caddy's right the first time, WMP. It works for Rock gigs too.
----------------------------

There IS a big difference between the two and the way that they sparkle/sheen, so make sure you know which one you want.

I've often wondered about this. When sitting on top of them, I think you're right....but when walking into a drum store I struggle to tell the difference until I'm close enough to the kit to be able to read the sign that says either, glass glitter or sparkle. As a punter at the back of the venue, I've got no hope.

As for the colour. Silver sparkle/glitter can't be beat, but it is on par with red sparkle/glitter and WMP (which incidently, I'd have no qualms about playing at the seediest of rock gigs).

Last edited:
The difference I see between the sparkle and the glass glitter is about which part of the drum sparkles, and how pronounced the actual sparkle that reaches your eye is. Picture a drum set on stage, and let us assume the audience member is 15-20 in front of the drum. If all of the lights in the venue are shut off except for one liko shining on the drum set, the silver sparkle will have a sheen that goes down the middle of the drum, with some various additional sparkles spread out about an inch in either direction from the sheen. With a broken glass finish, though, the flecks that sparkle are more spread out around the drum, they reflect a little bit more light (a tad brighter per sparkle), and the very definite sparkle sheen that goes down the middle of the drum is more broken up. I dunno how to describe it other than that. A glass glitter will look more like a starry sky with a high concentration of stars vertically oriented in the middle, and a sparkle will kinda resemble a light saber down the front of the drum, albeit with some additional sparklage just distal to the main sheen.

WMP seems a little "too" classy for a rock gig to me. Or, rather, the drummer is adding a touch of class to the overall vibe on stage. I like the look of a sparkle/broken glass finish a little better, though...

Just two weeks ago I played my Ludwig Classic Maple drums in "white marine pearl" at a rock venue and we didn't feel a bit out of place. I just sort of wished that I would have had my 22" x 16" bass drum though. It seems to me as if WMP fits in just about anywhere. I would have normally taken my Tama Starclassic Bubinga drums in "scorched copper burst" but I just wanted to try the Ludwigs.

Dennis

Black sparkle always works. I'm personally not a huge fan of WMP. I had a vintage Ludwig in that finish, and I just never felt like it fit in a rock band.

No black oyster? How about black diamond pearl? WMP works in all kinds of settings, but let's face it, it's a bit over-used (like black oyster). Skyblue diamond pearl is really pretty too.

Someone recently posted a pic of a ludwig kit in black broken glass glitter (cant remember what it was exactly called) but I thought I was the best looking new wrap I have ever seen. still just black with the occasional star sparkle though. Silver sparkle gets my vote for all around best.

White marine pearl has been popular decades before I was even born and will be long after I'm dead. And I'm pretty middle aged, so...

What I don't get is what the hell "mother of pearl" is? The same thing?

I'd go for the new Ludwig club dates. They're not made inthe USA but they're still a really good kit for the price ($700-800).

Red glass glitter? That'd work for both situations. Contrast to the 'b&w' at a wedding, and rocking at the rock gig.

I think I've heard stories of bridezillas getting difficult because the drums clash with their wedding colors. Seems like WMP would be the safest bet.

I think I've heard stories of bridezillas getting difficult because the drums clash with their wedding colors.

Yeah? My god.

And we think the drummer's doin' it tough.......imagine what the poor sod who married it is gonna have to put up with.

Talk about a lifetime of bitterness and resentment!! :)

Black Glass Glitter is awesome. I love mine.
Works for every setting. Classy, yet has pizzaz, but wouldn't "call attention to itself" in certain settings that you'd want to "blend in". It's really Black, no other tint of Blue, or Grey, and under lights it shines really well.
Great color for Rock, or anything else.

Red Glass Glitter is a slightly deeper Red than traditional Red Sparkle (I have Red Sparkle).
Looks very cool, but a bit less "POW it's RED! "

Between Silver Sparkle, or Glass, I'd go Glass. More variance in tones, and better capture of stage lights IMO. SS can look a bit Grey in certain settings too, which I didn't care for when I had that finish.

Gold Glass Glitter over Gold Sparkle. Nicer color than the GS made these days, lots of shine under lights, and still looks real nice under lower light.

Wow fifteen responses overnight! Thanks for the ideas guys, I just took another look at Brother Boomerbrown's photo montage of his new Luddy's in Silver Glass Glitter and I'm thinking of following his lead. They just look great to my eyes! Now to decide on the black bass drum hoops or blonde maple hoops. Decisions decisions...

P.S. Here's a link to that thread if interested. http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91208&highlight=silver+sparkle

P.P.S. "Can't wait for the thread on your new kit..." Neither can I!

WMP and Champagne Sparkle just scream "class." Of course, I have WMP and I'm a bit biased. It works for rock or blues gigs just as well as it works at weddings, private parties, and corporate gigs. Red sparkle or red glass are both up there on my list, too. I'd say go with the black hoops.

Back