snare shell resonance on a snare stand

mikeo

i recently bought a new tama roadpro snare stand... i also have a gibraltar snare stand... i tested my 12 inch tom on both stands... the gibraltar stand allows the tom to resonate basically uninhibited... whereas the tama stand definately kills some resonance... so now i am paranoid about my snare not sounding as good as it should on this new stand... has anyone ever put any thought into their snare resonating properly on a stand?... or do snare shells really resonate?

Snare shells definitely resonate. As long as you don't clamp down on the bottom hoop, it shouldn't matter which stand you use. Just set it in the basket, and tighten it until it just touches the rim, not tightening anymore. Clamping tightly on any drum will kill the resonance.

I've experimented with my rack tom on two different snare stands and the difference was more noticeable than I expected. I was really surprised.

So yeah, I agree with ya.

Someone should invent rims for snare?!?!

Someone did... that someone being Tama. But it never really caught on.

attachment.php

Maybe try this

http://www.gaugerpercussion.com/flexframe.html

I have one on my 12" DW Classic tom (on a DW 6000 snare stand). It makes a big difference even over the DW mounting system.

Snares will not tend to resonate like a tom because they tend to be tuned much higher (especially with the resonant head cranked up). If you want a really resonant snare, tune it lower so the heads have some play with which to vibrate. Also, keep the snares pretty loose because the tighter they are the more they mute the reso.

An important question is what head do you use on the snare? Thick or 2 ply snare heads will probably impact the tone of the drum more than the stand it's on.

I use a Tama Roadpro for my snare an I've never had any issues with it. Don't clamp the drum at all and just rest it in the open cradle. It won't fall out!

Back