20" TOM head?

justJon

Hey, all!

I've been playing big drums for awhile, and just stumbled across a really good deal on a 3-ply, Ludwig, 20" floor tom. It's got a usable Remo CS batter and a Ludwig clear Reso, but I've always liked coated, 2-ply heads. My problem is: I can't seem to find 20" tom heads, only bass drum. Pardon my ignorance, but, is there a difference? If there is, Where do I find 20" tom heads?

Thanks in advance!

Just the standard lines will probably work. 'Bass' drum heads with standard names shouldn't be any different. For instance, a 20" Evans G2 should be the same, with just the 'bass' designation because of the side. I run a 22" Remo Ambassador Bass head on my kit, but I can't see any difference between that and the tom heads I run - which are also Ambassadors.

Remo makes their bass drum heads with thicker hoops and different collars than their standard tom heads (to accomodate wood hoops as opposed to triple-flanged). Because of this, they won't fit on toms. Remo definitely makes a "regular" 20 inch coated Emperor; it's not a common size, though, so you'd most likely have to special-order it.

Take this part # into any Remo dealer so they can order the head for you.

BE-0120-00

That is for a 20" Coated Emperor batter for tom or snare. It has the smaller collar that one would expect on a tom or snare head.

Just hand them that part # and ask them to order that part #. It isn't a special order either, so no mark up on price. Its a standard item Remo makes, but don't regularly stock.

Back