Anybody else who doesn't care about the World Cup?

Magenta

Platinum Member
A month of it. A whole bloody month of it.

Sweet Angel of Death, take me now.

Yes, me.
I care more for the homeless kids who were being shot to 'clean up' the city for the World Cup.

Wow, a full month? I didn't know this.

I did enjoy a few matches at previous World Cups but I've never been into soccer. It's WAY overrated IMO. Still better than gladiators fighting in arenas.

Yes, me.
I care more for the homeless kids who were being shot to 'clean up' the city for the World Cup.

I saw that link, Arky. Could hardly believe it - I don't want to believe it, although I expect it's true. Was it verified, do you know?

I saw that link, Arky. Could hardly believe it - I don't want to believe it, although I expect it's true. Was it verified, do you know?
I didn't do any more research but that info was brought forward by various sources. A few dozen thousand stray dogs killed in Sochi for the Olypmics this year, those homeless kids in Brazil - even if this isn't accurate, they still evacuated countless homeless people - that is, temporarily, like the US did in Los Angeles for the 1984 Olympics (part of those homeless people would return but it took just enough time for the Olympic Games to be held 'undisturbed'). That stuff keeps repeating - sad, isn't it?

That stuff keeps repeating - sad, isn't it?

Life is all too cheap, isn't it? And then there are these footballers who earn more in a week than millions of people will earn in their entire lives.

Something is wrong.

Last edited:
I thought Brasil had a decent government that should never do those things. We haven't even seen a fraction of the misery that the Qatar world cup will create.

I think I will watch a few matches though it's the billions of viewers that have the power to continue or stop this happening.

Absolutely no interest here, although in the US. soccer isn't big, so I have an excuse. Los Angeles has a soccer team - I'd know the name if I heard it - and Beckham joined a few years ago (I think he's already done.) That was their claim to fame as far as I can tell.

Bermuda

I'll pass on soccer, just too slow and boring to keep my attention. I hope the fans enjoy it, but it's just not for me.

Played soccer in college, love the game, love the Cup, but yes feel sorry for the locals as I do for every Olympics. Houses torn down to make room for venues, and in this case venues not finished, Billions spent when people are starving. It's hard to separate, but I try to see the games without the politics, even though I know it exists.

Absolutely no interest here, although in the US. soccer isn't big, so I have an excuse. Los Angeles has a soccer team - I'd know the name if I heard it - and Beckham joined a few years ago (I think he's already done.) That was their claim to fame as far as I can tell.

Bermuda

That would be the Galaxy

Life is all too cheap, isn't it? And then there are these footballers who earn more in a week than millions of people will earn in their entire lives.

Something is wrong.

The only thing wrong, like any other sport, is that people like the sport and keep paying to go. When they stop paying, the players will be unemployed.

And the Olympic Committee is having trouble trying to find a host nation for the 2022 Olympic Games, because no one wants to foot the bill

Soccer - the 'beautiful game'. I am not a regular watcher but the World Cup matches get quite good and intense.

Of course the 'politics' behind most world organized sports these days is disgusting. Brazil, Beijing, Sochi....all the same outcome. Mind you behind the politics, its only about MONEY.

Arky;1268227................... like the US did in Los Angeles for the 1984 Olympics (part of those homeless people would return but it took just enough time for the Olympic Games to be held 'undisturbed'). That stuff keeps repeating - sad said:
Really? I was here in Los Angeles for those games and heard nothing about the homeless being shifted around, and continued to see homeless people here and there. Any links on that bit of old news?

No interest in soccer whatsoever.

My dad was a Euro and mad keen on soccer and, while I usually don't bother, I love the World Cup, especially the early rounds. It gets boring in the finals because they stop doing all the cool tricks and just fake injury.

But Madge, it's not the same for me. You are probably fed up with soccer obsessives all over the place.

Sydney media is obsessed with rugby league because Murdoch's News Ltd have big investments in the sport and they own 70% of our total media (yes, that's right, democracy in Oz is illusory).

But Madge, it's not the same for me. You are probably fed up with soccer obsessives all over the place. {/QUOTE]

Yyyyup. My brother is a football journalist. zzzzzzz

I only married Mr Madge because he claimed - MENDACIOUSLY - that he wasn't interested in football.

Sydney media is obsessed with rugby league because Murdoch's News Ltd have big investments in the sport and they own 70% of our total media (yes, that's right, democracy in Oz is illusory).

Rugby League is ok. Union is way, waaaaay better :)

Ah, that makes sense. You post had that typical sense of frustration when hemmed in by football heads.

One cool thing about the WC is when they sing the anthems and there's often some hilarious haircuts :)

Back