My Ludwig Classic Maple Adventure - Round 3

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Well...I've been trying to get my "dream" drums for nearly a year now. I really love Classic Maples. This is what drums *should* sound like, to me.

I won't go into too much detail but it's fair to say that I've had a *lot* of problems getting those dream drums. Some of you might remember the posts from last summer, where I took a router to my bass drum hoops in an attempt to correct a bass drum that was impossible to tune. I eventually sent that kit back, out of frustration.

I tried again in December and ten weeks later, I received the drums. There were issues...it's all I'm gonna say. :) They were promptly returned and all contact was severed w/ the dealer I had gone through. It wasn't a good experience all around, mostly with the dealer himself.

SO...I tried again, as crazy as that sounds. I went with Shane at Just Drums, who is a member here and is the absolutely BEST person you could possibly hope to deal with. I explained my mishaps and he immediately went to bat for me. I got the absolute reassurance from everyone who is anyone at Ludwig that I would get those dream drums and they'd be perfect. I've never heard of customer service like this *anywhere*, so thanks again Shane.

Being a top dealer for Ludwig, Shane had the opportunity to tour the plant in Monroe, NC and actually watch my drums being assembled! Here are the pics. It'll be a nice teaser until they get here and can post pics of my own. :)

If you're on Facebook, you can see a ton of pictures of his tour of the Ludwig plant here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=166706&id=604488422&l=5e4fd82e09

On the first image, notice that the order sheet says "Rush" and is flagged for extra special Quality Control. Way to go, Shane! I definitely earned it. The finish is the new wrap, "Silver Glass Glitter". Sexy, eh?

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 1,253
  • 25537_384736708422_604488422_3988959_7203018_n.jpg
    25537_384736708422_604488422_3988959_7203018_n.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,286
  • 25537_384736783422_604488422_3988970_4540945_n.jpg
    25537_384736783422_604488422_3988970_4540945_n.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,234
Last edited:
Plenty of pics setup at home, today. You can see my 14x6.5" Bras On Brass Black Beauty on the floor, too.

Attachments

• DSC03909.jpg
    DSC03909.jpg
    791.3 KB · Views: 704
  • DSC03921.jpg
    DSC03921.jpg
    689.9 KB · Views: 2,559
  • DSC03917.jpg
    DSC03917.jpg
    720.3 KB · Views: 776
  • DSC03916.jpg
    DSC03916.jpg
    692.7 KB · Views: 792
  • DSC03908.jpg
    DSC03908.jpg
    705.2 KB · Views: 809
  • DSC03915.jpg
    DSC03915.jpg
    652.7 KB · Views: 782
  • DSC03912.jpg
    DSC03912.jpg
    805.5 KB · Views: 725
  • DSC03911.jpg
    DSC03911.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 748
  • DSC03922.jpg
    DSC03922.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 699
Last edited:
That looks sweet. Looks like the only kit you will ever need. are you going to run two kicks? or are you just covering your basses so you can run different configurations? Is that tube lugs on the snare? classy.

That looks sweet. Looks like the only kit you will ever need. are you going to run two kicks? or are you just covering your basses so you can run different configurations? Is that tube lugs on the snare? classy.

Yep, it's two kits w/ the same finish. I'll run a 24x16", 16x16", and 13x10" for most things and a 20x16", 14x14", and 12x10" when I want a smaller, tighter sound.

The snare is a 14x6.5" w/ tube lugs, die-cast hoops, and a P86 throw.

I only placed this order 3 weeks ago, too. ;)

Yep, it's two kits w/ the same finish. I'll run a 24x16", 16x16", and 13x10" for most things and a 20x16", 14x14", and 12x10" when I want a smaller, tighter sound.

The snare is a 14x6.5" w/ tube lugs, die-cast hoops, and a P86 throw.

I only placed this order 3 weeks ago, too. ;)

Thats awesome! I run the 24, 13, 16 and I love it. I wish I had the smaller kit though for sure, or it would be fun to use the 14 and the 16 for a mini bonham set up. I do a good amount of acoustic gigs and I could use a smaller kit though.

What kind of heads are you going to use on the 24?

Thats awesome! I run the 24, 13, 16 and I love it. I wish I had the smaller kit though for sure, or it would be fun to use the 14 and the 16 for a mini bonham set up. I do a good amount of acoustic gigs and I could use a smaller kit though.

What kind of heads are you going to use on the 24?

I love those sizes for rock and have really grown to favor a 24" over a 22". 20" is great for smaller gigs, like you said.

I bought a clear PS3 batter and a coated ambassador reso but I think I may have gotten some bad heads. I couldn't get them to tune up on the 24" I have at home. If that's the case, I'll try Evans this time around...maybe an EQ4 batter and coated EQ1 reso. I don't like to port my reso.

The new Luds look stunning! Though, I thought you were a Pearl fan (HeHe)? I must say my heart always lies with Ludwig. Ludwig's were my first kit and since I have had and loved many since. As for the past few years Ludwig's lower end kits did suffer in quality. But there is NOTHING like the sound of a high end Ludwig Maple Classic of ANY year.

The new Luds look stunning! Though, I thought you were a Pearl fan (HeHe)? I must say my heart always lies with Ludwig. Ludwig's were my first kit and since I have had and loved many since. As for the past few years Ludwig's lower end kits did suffer in quality. But there is NOTHING like the sound of a high end Ludwig Maple Classic of ANY year.

Thanks! Pearl makes great drums but Classic Maple is my sound. ;)

I bought a clear PS3 batter and a coated ambassador reso but I think I may have gotten some bad heads. I couldn't get them to tune up on the 24" I have at home. If that's the case, I'll try Evans this time around...maybe an EQ4 batter and coated EQ1 reso. I don't like to port my reso.

That ludwig factory reso looks really cool too. I run a eq3 batter with a fyberskin on my 24 and it sounds amazing. The only thing I don't like about those heads is the plastic ring that holds the foam in breaks if your not careful transporting your drum. I really like the aquarian superkick 1 too (I run that on my 24" gretsch) but it lacks the punch that the eq3 has on the ludwig.

That ludwig factory reso looks really cool too. I run a eq3 batter with a fyberskin on my 24 and it sounds amazing. The only thing I don't like about those heads is the plastic ring that holds the foam in breaks if your not careful transporting your drum. I really like the aquarian superkick 1 too (I run that on my 24" gretsch) but it lacks the punch that the eq3 has on the ludwig.

Yeah they look cool...but sound terrible. Hah! I ordered them just to set aside and figured I'd get the cool looking ones, if anything.

I tried an SK1 and didn't like it as much as the PS3. There's just something about the PS3 that other BD heads don't have, IMO. I tried an EQ4 and thought it sounded great, too.

Sweet looking kit mate. I think I remember reading about your dilemma......the hoops issue and just about every drum out of round from memory?? I remember being astounded about the out of round issue. I'd expect a damn sight better from a company with 100 years experience in making drums.

I agree, I grew up listening to the old mans Luddies and concur that to my ear, this is what drums "should sound like".

One day, I'll spring for a set. Unfortunately the cost of CM's where I live borders on the outrageous.

Sweet looking kit mate. I think I remember reading about your dilemma......the hoops issue and just about every drum out of round from memory?? I remember being astounded about the out of round issue. I'd expect a damn sight better from a company with 100 years experience in making drums.

I agree, I grew up listening to the old mans Luddies and concur that to my ear, this is what drums "should sound like".

One day, I'll spring for a set. Unfortunately the cost of CM's where I live borders on the outrageous.

Yeah, the first kit either had bad hoops or the bass drum itself was bad. The relief-cut improved tuning but it still sounded terrible. The second order, the one that I placed in December, was a disaster. I'm not sure how it happened but several drums were bad in the order.

But...I'm told that I'm simply unlucky. Both of these dealers tell me that they sell a few of CM kits every month and never get complaints. Great! I'm confident that everything will be perfect this time and am really excited for them to arrive.

I just got an email from Shane. Apparently they were completely finished last week and ready to ship...but they were held behind and disassembled so all of the execs could inspect them personally, and the plant manager could give the "OK" to ship them.

They completed my SEVEN shells in THREE weeks and they're perfect! If you're looking for custom American-made drums (with the best sound), keep this in mind.

They ship out early next week. W00T!

I'm glad to hear that it is finally going to work out for you.
I can't wait to see the pics of the drums in your studio.

Congrats! The quintessential American drum company is alive and well.

Now I have the urge (again) to go buy some Ludwigs.

Back