Mix n Match Drum Kits?

frankieC55

So I'm pretty tough on my drums, and just can't justify throwing down more money than I have on a brand new kit with no personality. But thats just my opinion. I just love the look of a bunch of random old drums cobbled together with some nice heads and cymbals and a good snare. I think its neat that every piece of my kit was once part of a matching drum set probably playing very different music than I do, before I was even born. So show me your mix n match kits. Whats the kit's story, and What kind of music do you play.

IMG_00151.jpg

Pretty much the only thing I payed for in this picture is the snare stands and the drum heads(minus the bass drum heads)

Bass drum is a 22x14 Royce. Heads are Powerstrokes, given to me by my bass player. I found the drum in a church basement and was told I could have it.

The Rack tom has no brand, it just says Made in Japan on the mounting hardware, I found it the same place as the bass drum.

The floor tom is from my 1st drum set.

The Snare I received in Grammar school

Cymbals are Z Customs, The crash is broken, 18" Medium a yard sale find, sounds great and has lasted ages. 22" ride and 14" hats were given to me.

I have Aquarians all around besides the bass, and for being damn near free this kit sounds awesome, its very fun to play as well. I use it for a jazzy ska punk band with horns and a thrash/dbeat punk band.

Nothing wrong with mixing drums, just as there's nothing wrong with mixing cymbals. Especially if you're tough on your drums, this is a good way to go, & if you like the vibe, even better :)

Yeah. I’m looking at getting a 12 inch Guru tom to complement my Mydentity toms around my Stewart snare over my Staccato kick drum. Mmmmmmm!

What??? ... that's utter blasphemy, you can't do this, there's mix and match and mix and match, but a 12" Guru tom?... you're out of you mind man!!! ...it will kill the look of the beautifull... Staccato kick drum :) *jk Andy*

My Frankenstein ...... wish I still owned that kick.​

Attachments

• 115-1533_IMG.jpg
    115-1533_IMG.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 6,767
Yeah. I’m looking at getting a 12 inch Guru tom to complement my Mydentity toms
The Staccato bass drum I can live with, but Mydentity toms? Complement, how exactly? :) Ah hell, why not, it's a sale ;)

What??? ... that's utter blasphemy,
a 12" Guru tom?...
.it will kill the look of the beautifull... Staccato kick drum :) *jk Andy*
You're right Henri, it would. I like the stage presence of a Staccato bass drum :)

...and the Staccato kick drum
(Great for late-night mellow jazz gigs.)
Hehehe :)

I did that as a younger man back in the late 80s and what cured me of never using a kit like that was this conversation:

"Hi, I need a drummer for a small party this Saturday, you available?"
Me: "Sure, what do you need?"
"A little bit of everything, dress is black and white, downbeat is at 6PM. You do have a tux?"
Me: "Of course!" (As I rush out to find a tux for the weekend....)

And then there's this conversation:

Me: "Hi"
"We need a drummer for a musical at the local theater. You'll be sight-reading the book, the equipment is already there. Bring sticks and brushes".

I wish I could have a mixed-up kit sometimes.

I love the mixed kits you guys have.
I think there is a certain charm to it

the first kit I ever had was a mix of 60's Ludwigs and Slingerlands......so ever since I was a kid I have had a soft spot for Frankenstein kits

All the same color now, but this group is 4 different drum companies.

Attachments

• CIMG0713.JPG
    CIMG0713.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 4,191
Got this kit [70,s Ludwigs]one piece at a time.First kit I have owned since the late 60's...

Attachments

• IMG_0866.JPG
    IMG_0866.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 4,773
A buddy of mine bought this radial pro "jelly bean" kit from the band Stryper a few months ago, there is also a 12" tom in clear green gloss not shown.

302360_2091852620807_1461354205_n.jpg

I always loved Bill Bruford's mix n' match kits from his late Crimson days, with the roto toms

I started a thread on a very similar topic last week, over in the "Your Gear" forum: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94040 .

The story on mine is over there, so I won't repost it here- I'll just link in one of the pix. Chase that thread for the story behind the beast...

attachment.php

I dig this kit alot too, my kit previously included a 14x20 Slingerland silver sparkle bass drum.....It wasn't quite cutting unmic'd with a big marshal half stack and full bass Stack, so when the head broke on it, i went to the 22x14...i just love 14" depth bass drums

I love Frankenstein kits,and I mix drums all the time.Hal Blaine's famous monster kit was a mix of hardware with Ludwig and Blamire drums.Steve Gadd used a brass supra with his Yammy RC's.It's really not uncommon to use multiple brands in a studio setting either.I know this makes the everything must match crowd insane,but maybe you should try it sometime.It might prove to be thereputic.After all,your brand of cymbal dosen't match your brand of drum.Not pro level cymbals anyway:)

Steve B

I've been collecting drums of late to build a proper small kit (ie not a kiddie special that sounds horrible) for my 7 year old daughter and am really struggling to buy anything that doesn't match. I think muy issue is my intention to use it as an ultra portable substitute for my Saturn big kit for acoustic gigs.

I have a 12" Premier Royale tom, a 16" royale floor tom for a bass drum, both in black wrap, total cost £31 so far and a really mice piano black 10x5 yamaha stage custom snare in piano black lacquer for £45 with a protection racket case thrown in. I can't make up my mind whether to go 8-10-12 or 10-12-13. Anyone out there got any opinion, or even better, a black 10" royale or APK tom?

Back