Hard Vs. Soft Cymbal Case

Fabo

If you're thinking about getting a soft case, get the Zildjian 22" one. If you NEED it to double as a backpack, get the Sabian one. From what I remember, they were both considerably cheaper than the Paiste. You can spend about the same amount and get a well-padded bag with thick, cushy cymbal dividers from other companies, as well. The Paiste bag seems like a rip-off to me.

If you're going to get a hardcase, forget the "cardboard" ones...get a hard plastic one. Do it right the first time so there doesn't have to be a second time...

I'm a bag man myself. But the thing with cymbal bags, they have to be good, and it'll be something that travels with you because it probably wouldn't protect your cymbals too well if you're loading your stuff on a truck full of other stuff...

The Paiste bag might be good, but I've had the same Reunion Blues full leather cymbal bag now for over 20 years, and it handles my plates quite nicely. The only thing is when I bought that 20 years ago it was $350 then....don't know how much they are now, maybe the same (or cheaper - if you can believe that!)

Do it right the first time so there doesn't have to be a second time...

+1. This goes for bags AND cases.

I have both for my cymbals. I keep all my spares in a Protection Racket bag. That thing is excellent quality and well worth looking at. But when I'm taking 'em out....SKB hard case all the way. The PR bag is certainly durable and protective enough to gig out with and I know of many who do.....but I don't trust the muppets that may carry my gear (least of all myself), so a hard case is all I personally trust.

Either way, don't scrimp to protect your gear. You don't need to go top of the line, but don't scrape the bottom of the barrel either. :)

Thanks guys. $350!, but definitely worth it if it'll last me that long. I think I might go with a case seems like a bag might not be strong enough if something falls over and lands on my stuff.

Thanks guys. $350!, but definitely worth it if it'll last me that long. I think I might go with a case seems like a bag might not be strong enough if something falls over and lands on my stuff.

Well, you just have to avoid those situations where things will fall on your stuff ;) But yeah, my Reunion Blues bag (and the matching stick bag), have gone through the rain (not soaked, but wet enough) and now they're both getting soft enough, and the burgundy color is starting to sorta' come off, but the integrity of the bag is still there. It'll probably go another 20 years at the rate I'm going.

My bag/case rule is:

- If I'm throwing my stuff into a van/truck with Other people's stuff -> use hard cases.

- If I'm carting the stuff in My car -> use soft - aka Light - cases. :)

This Protection Racket bag should be all you need. Its not very realistic imo that you would drop anything heavy enough on your cymbals to do damage. I've never seen it happen anyway.

pro%20racket%20001.jpg

I have dropped the cymbals (in bag) from the back of a truck to the groung and absolutely nothing happened to em.

Wow that's a nice one. Yeah it probably is unlikely that something would fall, there's just a bit of paranoia in my mind, you never know I guess.

This Protection Racket bag should be all you need. Its not very realistic imo that you would drop anything heavy enough on your cymbals to do damage. I've never seen it happen anyway.

pro%20racket%20001.jpg

I have dropped the cymbals (in bag) from the back of a truck to the groung and absolutely nothing happened to em.

That whole 'gangsta' logo thingy is so mid-'90s, though.

That whole 'gangsta' logo thingy is so mid-'90s, though.

Yeah well they did start in 1994 and I guess thats when they created their logo.

Maybe it does need a change now that you mention it.
Hey, why did you mention it?. I used to like it and now I'm questioning it. :/
Jk...I done really care...PR is the s_ _t anyway.

I appreciate that they are a UK product and company created by surfers and drummers.

SKB Roto-mold hard case. Look it up, it'll be a great investment.

Yeah well they did start in 1994 and I guess thats when they created their logo.

Maybe it does need a change now that you mention it.
Hey, why did you mention it?. I used to like it and now I'm questioning it. :/
Jk...I done really care...PR is the s_ _t anyway.

I appreciate that they are a UK product and company created by surfers and drummers.

Just wanted to see who's chain would get yanked first ;)

Yes, and people have safely fallen out of 10-story windows too. But it's a huge risk. You are very lucky no apparent damage happened to you cymbals. They could land at an angle on an edge and crack, or get stressed enough to crack later.

I use a Humes and Berg Enduro hardcase, since 1997. Yes, it takes up more room, but it's worth it. The loaded case has fallen off of stages, off of pickup gates, off of cars and absolutely no damage has ever happened to my cymbals.

I would prefer a soft Cymbal Case..The kind of flexibility a soft case provides a hard case can never...

south-pak.com

I have both a Zildjian hardcase and a Meinl soft. I like the soft case a lot better because you just unzip it and there's all your pies at your fingertips. The hardcase, OTOH, if you want just your ride, you have to take out every cymbal sitting on top of it first.

Hardcase = better protection
Softcase = way more convenient / user friendly

Back