Gretsch Catalina Wine Laquer, Zildjian/Sabian

airsmunch1

Finally able to shrink my set up pictures to 1200X900 size to meet restrictions!!

Road Kit:

Drums:
Gretsch Catalina Maple Wine Laquer
3 9x12 rack toms
1 16x16 floor tom (sometimes play with two!)
1 18x22 bass drum
Ludwig Coliseum Maple Black
1 8x14 Snare

Pedals:
DW 5000 HiHats
DW 5002 Turbos
Trick Detonator Double (not shown)

Rack:
Gibraltar

Hardware:
DW Dogbone/Booms
Pork Pie Throne

Cymbals:
Zildjian
12" Splash
14" New Beat Hi Hat
21" Rock Ride
16" Medium
18" Medium Thin
19" Medium
20" Medium Thin
20" Medium
20" China Low
18" K Dark
Sabian
16" Paragon
18" Paragon
20" Paragon
18" Rock
19" Medium
20" Paragon

Practice Drums (Bella's drums, my 3 year old!)

Gretsch Catalina Maple Wine Laquer
2 8x10 rack toms
2 14x14 floor tom (sometimes play with third 16x16 floor tom!)
1 18x22 bass drum
1 6.5x14 snare

Pedals:
DW 9000 remote HiHats
DW 5002 Turbos

Rack:
Gibraltar (not shown)

Hardware:
DW Dogbone/Booms
ROC Throne

Cymbals:
All Zildjian Platinums!
20" Rock Ride
19" Rock Crash
18" Rock Crash
18" Medium Crash
17" Rock Crash
16" Rock Crash
16" Thin Crash
14" Quick Beat Hi Hats
14" New Beat Hi Hats (optionally)
12" Splash

Oh yeah, then there is the double kit of Yamaha Electronic drums!

My knickname "Crash" comes from my penchant for purchasing gear!!!

John "Crash" Jones
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWolvesRock

Attachments

• Massive amount of Shiny Cymbals.JPG
    Massive amount of Shiny Cymbals.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 3,293
  • Massive Cymbals Front.JPG
    Massive Cymbals Front.JPG
    349.9 KB · Views: 3,024
  • Massive Cymbals Rear.JPG
    Massive Cymbals Rear.JPG
    311.9 KB · Views: 2,847
  • Bellas drums daddys drums.JPG
    Bellas drums daddys drums.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 2,610
  • Bellas drums side.JPG
    Bellas drums side.JPG
    302 KB · Views: 2,885
  • Bellas drums.JPG
    Bellas drums.JPG
    303.2 KB · Views: 2,793
You know, I really like to read the specs, try and form a mental image in my mind of what the kit looks like, and then slowly scroll down and have it revealed. But in this case, it was simply impossible. That's a crazy amount of cymbals! Plus, I love the color of those drums.

I was curious, though: Why two of the same kit?

I like the depth I get out of the larger toms and the 9x12s look good together. You can tell that I have a bit of an anal symmetry thing going on with my kit. At one point I put my other 16 floor tom on the right just cause it balanced out the kit and I mounted a second ride and hi hat on the right with a remote! OK, I am odd that way. But to me, it is fun to have those options.

I know, truly talented drummers don't need a lot of equipment, but I am not a truly talented drummer!!! LOL I just enjoy playing and bring different sound combinations together.

My band mates ask me, "why so many cymbals?" and I tell them, "different sounds from each. Volumes, tone, timbre, etc...

Oddly enough, the 3 guitarists and 1 bass player all bring about 4 guitars each to practice and gigs, so they can't talk!!!

If I had a choice, I would have a 9x13, 10x14, and an 11x15 rack tom, and then a 16x16 floor tom. That way I would get the depth I want, but I would have to build a completely custom kit to do that. I would likely go 13x13, 14x14, 15x15 too!

You know, I really like to read the specs, try and form a mental image in my mind of what the kit looks like, and then slowly scroll down and have it revealed. But in this case, it was simply impossible. That's a crazy amount of cymbals! Plus, I love the color of those drums.

I was curious, though: Why two of the same kit?

I actually state why two kits. One is my road kit, stays packed for gigs and is played only on the road, and the other is my practice kit, which is always set up for my practice and when the band comes over to practice. It is also referred as my daughter's kit and if it wasn't the exact same as mine, she wouldn't want it!

Consequently, now that I have bought the Trick Doubles, I do put ferry them from gig to practice because I like them so much even though I own about 3 sets of dw5002s!

OK, it is an addiction, but one I like!

I would actually dig playing Terry Bozzio's kit! Someone was selling a replica on Ebay a few months ago and I almost choked at not buying it!

Attachments

• terribozzio.jpg
    terribozzio.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 8,020
Awesome setup man, I have the same Gretsch in wine red. with twin kicks, 10, 12, 14 and 16 toms with Brady snares. I love the way yours are set up, I'm a cymbal whore as well. With about 28.

And having a ton of gear/ or a 3 piece set in no way defines your talent, Neil Peart, Terry Bozzio, Alex Van Halen, etc etc. a Lot of cats with Monster Kits and tons of talent and chops. It's all just a matter of preference.

Kudos on those kits.

Thanks for the nod! Frankly, I laugh at anyone who considers themselves a purest enough to "judge" others so I am not bothered by it.

As a kid, I pieced together a Pearl Maxwin, with a ludwig rocker and threw what ever trash can lids I could find and some roto toms!

It is nice to have the means now!

Now that I have all I want, I am thinking of upgrading the shells but frankly I would have to build them myself to get what I want. Why pay Trick, DW, DDrum, or others just to do what I can and not get exactly what I am looking for!

Rock on pal!

Thanks for the nod! Frankly, I laugh at anyone who considers themselves a purest enough to "judge" others so I am not bothered by it.

As a kid, I pieced together a Pearl Maxwin, with a ludwig rocker and threw what ever trash can lids I could find and some roto toms!

It is nice to have the means now!

Now that I have all I want, I am thinking of upgrading the shells but frankly I would have to build them myself to get what I want. Why pay Trick, DW, DDrum, or others just to do what I can and not get exactly what I am looking for!

Rock on pal!

I hear ya man, I had a silver ddrum, and black kellers, I refinished those to finishes I wanted, (see pics) and here are pics of my Gretsch cats as well. (Not sure why the ddrums are so small)

Shortly after I graduated I started amassing gear and refinishing everything to match, so It' "Appeared" I had custom kits, lol. But now as you say, I have the means to buy gear and a wife who encourages the habit, lol.

Attachments

• ddrum gold.jpg
    ddrum gold.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 2,003
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 2,146
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 2,116
Oh man, I can fell myself jonesen already! You have a gong!!!!

Nice Cats!!

But the gong man, that hurts me to the core....

I was in drum corp as a kid, and at one of the shows, one of the corps left their 48" Zildjian gong behind. All corps had left and there is sat.

Well I picked it up, no name, no identifying marks, and I started to toss it in the back of my car.

My best friend, also a drummer, said "you got to turn that in to the cops buddy"

Crap!!!!

So we did. The corp that lost it claimed it, and that was my last flurry into almost having a $30K gong!!!

Don't know what I would do with one yet but....

But then again, I used to have a set of 8 Tama Octabans. Nice!!! My X, and I repeat X wife made me sell them because they were too loud and I didn't use them. Ick.

My current fiance' is very much an enabler, although she is starting to see the financial toll an addiction of this can take!

The wuhans are awesome sounding and you can pick up a 28" wind gong for under $200 plus stand or a chau gong for about $350 with the stand if you search, lol. I use mine often.

The wuhans are awesome sounding and you can pick up a 28" wind gong for under $200 plus stand or a chau gong for about $350 with the stand if you search, lol. I use mine often.

Listening to the stuff on your myspace site, I can see you using it because you do some creative drumming on your own, but for the most part, I am just a rock drummer. I would hit the damn thing about once a month!

I understand, If I get bored with it, I'll send it your way. That way you can at least have the decorative effect.

Attention: You have entered into a contract with the afore mentioned party to which you have agreed to deliver upon his person, one very kick ass gong, once you, as the party have determined a diminished level of interest in said gong to the point of boredom. Failure to deliver said kick ass gong to this party will result in sanctions and repercussions of a magnitude reprehensible to the use of words in written form.

Uh, yeah. You will get bored with it and send it my way. I will start holding my breath now!!!

haaaaaapt................

Attention: You have entered into a contract with the afore mentioned party to which you have agreed to deliver upon his person, one very kick ass gong, once you, as the party have determined a diminished level of interest in said gong to the point of boredom. Failure to deliver said kick ass gong to this party will result in sanctions and repercussions of a magnitude reprehensible to the use of words in written form.

Uh, yeah. You will get bored with it and send it my way. I will start holding my breath now!!!

haaaaaapt................

ROFLOL ROFLOL

pleeeeease say that you've put both kits together with all your cymbals and made one huuuuge uber set. If not do it now XD

Actually yes, but I didn't take any photos. Unfortunately. I doubled my rack up so I had a two tier going on and the platinums were all over head. Quite fun to play!

Back