Burning question, stick tips, what shape and why?

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I used to be an acorn tip guy. Recently, I lucked into a great used genuine Turkish ride cymbal, and found that I prefer the round tip tone on that particular cymbal. It seems like the shape of the stick tip...the only place it really makes any difference is in the tone of the ride cymbal...at least in my mind. (Anybody differ?)

So I was wondering if anyone could feel the differences in the various stick tip shapes...on other than the ride. If so, I'd like to hear your take about why you like what you like, if you even have an opinion about such minutia.

I was also wondering what the most used shape is. Does anyone put that much thought in their stick tip shape? Why do you use the shape you use?

I've played pretty much everything at one point or another, but prefer a round ball tip. When I was getting my sticks custom made in the mid 90's I settled on a round tip and have tended to stick with that shape even though I use factory produced sticks these days.

Like yourself, I think I just like the tone of them on a ride cymbal. It's not something I'm completely anal about. I can play with any stick and if pressed, then I'm happy to do so. But given the choice then I'll always opt for a round tip.

I got into this when I was deep in orchestra playing. I prefer round tip sticks for the feel on the drum head. I can get better rebound and better buzz rolls out of round tip sticks. But when it comes to drumset, I've found round tips dent and damage heads to easily. Now I use Peeter Erskine Ride sticks, SD4 Combos (barrell tip), or 5As (acron). I LOVE the way the Peter Erskine tip feels and sound on cymbals. It is indeed the perfect ride stick. I can tell a difference with the other sticks, but I haven't put my finger on it yet..

I never took the time to notice feel on the drum head. I never really noticed a diff, but I wasn't really looking either. Normally I like the acorn on the ride, but my latest addition likes the ball.

I haven't tried the barrel tip on it yet.

I like acorn shape wood tips. I used Pro Mark Rock Knockers for a while. I switch back to 747s because of the sound of the ride. I just recently bought some oak Pro Marks. They make the ride sound much darker than the hickory sticks.

I like oval or acorn, they seem to provide a nice click, with a thin and dark sound on my ride.

The only place I can tell a difference between tips is on the ride.
When choosing sticks, I look at dimensions and taper before tip.
My Vic firth ahmir Thompson's have a small acorn tip. Its light, subtle, and quiet on my K ride, perfect for the jazz and light playing it was intended for.

My regal tip john Robinson signatures have a medium oval tip. They give a broad, wide, loud sound, great for rock.

I do prefer the sound of the smaller tips over larger ones in general though.

Put me into the category of liking ball tip sticks on cymbals. Agree that it only really matters when riding cymbals, never noticed a difference in sound on drums.

I got into this when I was deep in orchestra playing. I prefer round tip sticks for the feel on the drum head. I can get better rebound and better buzz rolls out of round tip sticks. But when it comes to drumset, I've found round tips dent and damage heads to easily. Now I use Peeter Erskine Ride sticks, SD4 Combos (barrell tip), or 5As (acron). I LOVE the way the Peter Erskine tip feels and sound on cymbals. It is indeed the perfect ride stick. I can tell a difference with the other sticks, but I haven't put my finger on it yet..

Me too; I switched from a nylon tip to the Peter Erskine Ride stick and it really brings out the charm of my cymbals.

GJS

+1 on Peter Erskine Rides. Love them.

However not for everything. Here's the quandry which I deal with.

The ride cymbal I love the most in my collection (which ie just 2 at the moment) is my K Constantinople 20". I am always more personally satisfied with that cymbal and it always sounds best to me with the Erskine Rides.

I run into issues with both of those when I play higher volume rock/funk/pop etc. and I can't project enough presence with my ride combo. Therefore I switch to my K Custom 20" Ride and larger sticks when I play these gigs, the latest stick being a Regal Tip 5B 'E' tip.
Granted this model of Regal Tip nylon tip mixes the sound of a nylon attack and a wood tip, but it's still a big change. The end result is that I know I'm projecting more effectively and I don't get into a 'bash harder' vortex where the cymbal sounds unmusical. It's not unusual for me to change sticks on a gig as well even though I know that many have the 'one stick all the time policy'. FWIW: I can play almost any gig with any stick but I like to feel better as I'm playing a style. It makes the thought process more effortless while playing for me.

Jim

+1 on the Fusion..Love 'em and yes I noticed one day I played about 4 sticks and they all sounded different on the snare head.

..... Now I use Peeter Erskine Ride sticks, SD4 Combos (barrell tip), or 5As (acron). I LOVE the way the Peter Erskine tip feels and sound on cymbals. It is indeed the perfect ride stick. I can tell a difference with the other sticks, but I haven't put my finger on it yet..

I pretty much only use SD4's and Erskine Ride sticks as well.

The shape of the tips, the type of wood, the taper all have a role in the sound and feel on cymbals and drums to me.

I like round ball tips like on Fusion style sticks, but I got the two different pairs of Mike Johnston's new signature stick with the barrel tips. I had only tried barrel tips one other time but really liked them, and this solidified them as my new favorite, as much as I like the ball tips.

I think the "dented heads" issue but a desire for that ride sound was what prompted Johnston to make the switch from round ball tips to barrel tips, actually... I can't say I ever had that issue myself but they both have a beautiful ride sound.

I got some Trilock Gurtu sticks recently and I've been loving them, oval tip with a notch around the fulcrum. Only thing I don't like is the rubberized grip, though it might make me drop sticks less. I found these sticks doing a blind tip test with like 10 different sticks, these beat acorn and round tips out, not sure I had any barrels. Makes my 20" turkish K sing like Ella Fitzgerald. Very well balanced sticks give them a try.

Tip shape, taper, stick weight, and striking ANGLE...they all affect the tone you get. I play heavier acorn tip sticks when I play rock, but recently I've been more of a lighter round tip guy for jazz. I like acorn tips because you can control how much of the tip articulates the head/cymbal by the angle you use--that makes them very versatile. But, there's something about that limited stick contact with a lighter, round-tipped stick you get at any angle on a super-light ride cymbal that sounds good, whereas a heaver stick with more contact area would cause it to wash out.

When it comes to the tips I like very small round wooden "jazz" tips. They make me feel like I am playing quieter. Being lighter they probably do, but they sure don't last long before the tips chip and flake away. Somewhere on this site I saw someone talking about cutting grooves in nylon tips to create a quiter sound. I wonder if that works?

I like the long ovals, generally use Pro-mark 7A. I actually think the wood type has a bigger effect on overall ride cymbal tone, but tip also drastically changes it.

Back