Shine Drums

BattleArmor

Silver Member
Anyone ever heard of these guys? I have been offered a sponsership. They are a custom drum builder.

I wouldn't recommend it. Me and several of my drumming friends from local bands around my area have been offered the same deal. Kits are decent but very overpriced. They also offer sponsorships to pretty much any decent band on myspace. they're trying to build up an arsenal of artists, doesn't matter who it is. I know multiple artists endorsed by them that said they got the same schpeel from them and now just have a shine kit and basically never hear from shine again.

I don't normally talk bad about and and I had a pretty good experience/relationship with their owner but I just haven't heard good things from their clientel. They're really nice guys but they're also salesmen.

Thats just my 2 cents. If somehow this gets back to sean or robbie at shine, i mean no disrespect to them, i'm not trying to take away from their business i'm merely providing input which is the whole point of a forum. I like Sean and Robbie both, they were super nice to me and had a great kit lined up, i just chose not to go with them based off what other artists said.

actually, if its a good enough deal, id go for it..

ive played 3 Shine kits, and i loved everyone of them!

i would take the offer if it was given to me, and if it was a good enough deal..

tell us what you end up doing!

EDIT: grahamo87 - they are expensive, yes...but, Truth, SJC, and all the others are waaayyy more expensive then Shine.
i just priced a normal 5 piece kit from those 3, and the Shine was 700-1000 dollars less than both of them...
their going to be expensive...they are custom drums..

Alex

Last edited:
Yeah. Thanks for replies.

I am not sure yet, but so far for research they seem just like the other custom drum companies but cheaper, which worries me, because you always get what you pay for. But of course by accepting this deal I get dicounted drums.

Not sure just yet.

is there a way that you can play a shine kit before you make your decision? it may just be me, but i would want to sponser drums that I know i like.

Thats the main reason I am leaning to not taking the offer.

who are you talking to at Shine? I know someone up there that has been super kewl and takes care of people

send a press kit to SJC, they are doing a 20% off retail sale right now, and they might offer you an endorsement if shine did, those guys are great and the customer service is fantastic. I have a very good and very close relationship with SJC. You guys have heard me harp on this a million times already, but SJC truely is worth every penny and in my humble opinion (and I do me my humble opinion, no disrespect to any shine or truth owners) i feel they are the best custom drum company in the states and furthermore, I feel that they do things with finishes and hoops and so on that no one else has even dreamed of at those other companies.

Let me know if you want contact info for SJC, ill hook you up with the guy I work with.

-Matt

I have seen some SJC kits that I would buy just to stare at all day. They are too nice looking. Do you get them for lower prices with your connections?

How endorsement work. I never felt the need to endorse anyone. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm kinda out on that topic. Why you need to give free gear to sell drums? Having a great product isn't enough?

I don't think you should endorse something you have not owned for a while.

Maybe buy a kit, use it for sometime. Then If you really like it and believe in their product, build a relationship with the builders and endorse them..

yes...but he endorses them....its not like they just give him a good deal for no reason....

Alex

Thats what I thought, I was just making sure. His wording of the statement implied that he new a guy.

the kind of endorsement i would want, is one that i pay for all of it...i don't think them giving me a discount it really right..sure, it would be nice...but that is just taking money off of someones paycheck...and i don't want that on mine...

the only thing i would really want, is to be on their roster list really....and advertised by them...

Alex

Shine won't be the first boutique custom builder to close shop, many of these companies are simply assemblers .The way the economy is going many of these makers are finding a tough go.getting a custom builder to build your dream kit may sound fabulous originally, but they have greatly reduced resale value and will not be able to support you properly if you start touring and new replacement parts on the road.
The quality of drums made by the major manufacturers are better now than they have ever been, a mid price kit today is built better than any vintage kit was, sure this my be sacrilegious but it is true.I love vintage drums despite their weak points, the wood had had time to age properly and get played in , but their edges, shell roundness and hardware leave lot's to be desired.

Back