Your go-to config

My thoughts on this is that I'm most comfortable with what I've been playing for the most amount of time. If I started playing with five pieces and all of a sudden I'm down to three or four, I wouldn't be immediately comfortable at all with this arrangement. If you're playing with four pieces for a few years and again suddenly are thrust in to a set with five or six pieces, I bet in the same time frame as you've been playing that original configuration, you too would become very comfortable with your new arrangement.

It's all about what your mainly accustomed to.

BTW, I play anything from a four piece to a seven piece kit with no problems going from one to the other.

Dennis

You're probably right. My starting to use a 4 piece coincides with when my band started playing a lot. Every weekend and sometimes (often) a weekday too. There was no way I was going to set up and tear down the 7 piece I had at the time. Plus the music didn't call for it. So it was a 4 for many years. I cut my live teeth this way (and even recording sessions) so it is most likely why I feel so at home with this set-up.

My default set up these days is becoming 1 up 2 down for most things. I do have another rack tom, but it hasn't seen any action since last year. I've also experimented with roto toms, and i currently have a PD-8 pad placed in between and above my rack and hi hats which is working nicely.

I don't have any issues with reaching my second floor, and I like having the extra low end there for fills, builds and tom patterns. I used to run two racks but these days I'm not playing any music that requires it. I'm sure I'll come back to having a bigger setup one day, but for now I'm enjoying something slightly smaller.

Sorry Kenny, technically, that side snare makes it a 5 piece, therefore you're not jazz cool,

In the imortal words of Maxwell Smart ... "I missed it by that much" ... ;(

maxwellsmart_missed_it_by_that_much1.jpg

my go to changes for diffrent styles of music but usually it is a 4 piece but with the rack tom in the position where an aux snare would be to the left of my hi hat. For un miked gigs just a single floor as toms all sound very similar when you've got those bloody amps blasting behind you haha. its also alot more convenient to travel with and is just good fun

I had a rehearsal yesterday where the drums were provided with the room. It was a 3up 1dn setup 22/8/10/12/14. It was really fun and a totally new experience - I'd banged around on that config in stores or whatever, but never with a band for 3 hours. Only thing I was left wanting was a 16 at the end. Otherwise, that was a blazing tight setup that took me out of my comfort zone - in a good way!

I go four by four: four drums, four cymbals (hats counting as one). Peace and goodwill.

I love the 4x4.

4-piece: Bass, snare, rack, floor.
4 cymbals: Hats, ride, main crash, 2nd crash.

Nothing feels or looks better to me.

Cheers!

My go-to config is the good 'ole 4-piece.

Diameter x Depth

Bass 20x14
Rack 12x8
Floor 14x14
Snare 14x5

Can't go wrong!

Two up, one down, two crash/splash either side of the BD, one or two rides to right of the BD and, of course, HH and SD.

My go to or everyday set up. 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22 Bass Various size snares from 4 x 14 to 7.5 x 14.

Attachments

• CIMG0514.JPG
    CIMG0514.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 259
I had a rehearsal yesterday where the drums were provided with the room. It was a 3up 1dn setup 22/8/10/12/14. It was really fun and a totally new experience - I'd banged around on that config in stores or whatever, but never with a band for 3 hours. Only thing I was left wanting was a 16 at the end. Otherwise, that was a blazing tight setup that took me out of my comfort zone - in a good way!
Welcome to my world Mike, except 20" instead of 22". Compact & flexible :)

Mine would likely be what I use as my personal kit.

Double bass, 5up, 2down and if I had the spare money/could find a matching one, a second snare.

I've never taken to playing with my ride in place of that second rack tom, it's always been sat neatly over the two floors with a second ride at a slight angle behind my hats. (Advantage of being a lefty on a righty kit!).

My china on my right, above my main ride. Then crashes everywhere else that feels comfy. Splashes along my tom run, cowbell next to my hat and another to the left of my right ride with a jam block underneath that rotated about 70 degrees?

This isn't what I play on all the time though for my band. I just have to use what is at the pub, which is a 2up, 1down, single bass, single snare with the ride where that "seocnd tom" would be haha. The first tom in the up run is snug between the other and the hats.

Back