SNARE TUNING

Re: THE SNARE TUNING THREAD.

hey guys,
despite all the information posted by several members in here I still have a question or two regarding the tuning of my snare. I've been experimenting by tuning either my resonant higher or lower than my batter and v.v. , however i still can't get the sound I want. I'm using a fairly new model of PDP and sticking mostly to rock, hard rock and other similiar genres. The snare sound im aiming for is expressed fairly well through this bands recordings:

http://www.purevolume.com/theclassiccrime
song titled "The Fight" gives you a clear sound of the snare.

With all of that said, any info on achieving that snare sound or snare advice in general would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks

Re: THE SNARE TUNING THREAD.

Patrick,

First, let me preface this response by saying that I didn't click the link and listen to the song you mentioned because I feel my response doesn't require it.
That being said, I've found over the years that people will hear a sound on a recording, like it, then pull their hair out trying to emulate that sound.
Why?
Because it could be (and has, many times before) that the sound their trying to emulate cannot be reproduced with just a drum.
Effects are added in so "professionally", that the original acoustic sound doesn't seem affected.
I bet if you were at the session that the track was recorded at, and were able to listen to just that snare drum, you'd find that it probably sounded quite different from the finalized track you referred us to.

...however, if you think you can do it, and just need a little "directionalizing", I'd suggest you check out this link.
If it can't help you, then you're probably stuck.

Elvis

Re: snare tuning

fullmoon said:
sorry for all the threads but what the best tuning for my snare to get maximum senseitivity out of it i have a metal snare the size it 14x6 with ambassador batter and ive forgoten the name of the reso

Tune each head so that it vibrates for the longest amount of time.
Set the snare tension so that it's about 1/4 - 1/2 turn tighter than the point at which the snares stop rattling at.

Elvis

snare tuning

i was wondering if anybody had any insight on making a yamaha stage custom snare drum get a fatter sound. I want a big rock sound but i dont like playing it when the batter head is too loose. I also would like some tips on eliminating the ping. I, have three moon gel strips on it and it still does it a bit. I am in the process of recording also, so if you can give me some micking tips for the snare drum that would be great too. The ping is being picked up by the mic and is a bit overbearing. I am using protoools but am fairly new to it.
thanks for any advice.

Use an Evans HD Dry. For the mic use a Sm57 about 2" above the head at the rim pointing about 3" towards the center of the drum. Thats what I use on a 14X6 1/2 steel Export snare. I think it sounds pretty good.
CLICK HERE

Try loosening your resonant head a bit for a fatter sound. But other than that the Tuning Bible is THE website for this stuff.

My solution was to buy a new snare.

In my opinion the snare is the weakest link in the Stage Custom set up.

Check your tuning. Even a relatively inexpensive snare can be tuned to only need 1 piece of moongel, and you are using 3! Some drums will naturally ring, but I would say if you still have this much ring you are tuning the drum incorrectly. Take off the heads and start over.

Take the snares off, and put the drum on a piece of carpet, batter side down. Tune the reso head slightly higher than the batter. Once the reso is tuned, then turn it over and place it on carpet reso side down. Tune the head SLOWLY until you reach your desired sound. Patience is the key here. Sometimes my snare takes over an hour to tune right. Take your time with it.

For a fat sound (not loose, FAT) on those snares I find that something like a REMO Powerstroke head work best... medium to medium-high tension batter, medium tension resonant... check the snares, maybe you need a heftier one, so you can get more snare sound with a looser strainer, but this is not likely... also the sticks... get something perhaps with a bit more wood on it and most importantly the strokes... a sweet spot for that sound is slightly below the center, with a bit of rimshot.

Good luck.

13x9 tuning tip wanted

Hi All,

I have a 13x9 Yamaha Absoulte Beech drum (13"diameter) I have an Evans coated EC2 head on top and the Yamaha / Remo Ambassador on bottom. Trying to find a good blend between top and bottom head and also get a good punch from the drum as well. Currently using a drumdial I have the reso head at 78 and the batter at 75. It sounds OK, but I guess I'm getting fussy in my old age. Any tip is greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, I'm playing 50's & 60's music with a bit of Country if that helps.

Thanks

Re: 13x9 tuning tip wanted

This size tom is my hardest to tune also. Seems like it wants to have more than one tone to it. With one moon gel it sounds dead, without any its resonates forever. I keep playing with the bottom head and its getting better. Just keep fussing is all I can tell you.

Last edited:

I use a 9 x 13 rack tom also. What I do is tune the batter head first, and then slowly tension the reso head until it sounds just right. Basically, I tune it like I would any other drum, but I have to spend a little more time with this one.

I'm having the same problem with my Ludwig 13' I have g2 on the batter and stock ludwig on the reso.I've spent hours and still can't get a good sound.

Maybe we could all have matching window planters. I had to end up doing the same thing. Got the batter lugs all the same, tone, and then did the reso head. Why this drum is difficult ....don't know.

I can only echo this,,when i do get a musical tone out mine [Gretsch] i end up changing the other to match it,,i find it likes a more tighter tension, [but the room is influential] it then cuts more out front. and that is something to keep in mind, we may not be hearing how much bottom the drum projects from where we sit,,record it, and tweek the EQ and see from there, but i agree with doing the batter, and then spending time on the reso.

Thanks for all the input. I took off the EC2 Batter and put the original remo single ply batter back on. Brought the tension down on both batter and reso. (just above wrinkles) When I get home from work tonight I will start fine tuning again. (my poor wife) It should not be this hard???

I remember reading an article years ago, when Neil Peart made the move from Tama to Ludwig. He tested a bunch of different kits side by side, and he said the one drum that really showed the difference between kits was the thirteen inch. I have no idea why it should be so, but it seems many people struggle with this size.

I have a 10X13, and right now it sits in the top of my closet. I simply can't get it to sound as good as my other drums, though I always suspected it was some flaw in this drum rather than a problem with 13's. Maybe I'm wrong about that, now that I see how many others have trouble with this size.

Well the single ply were a bit better and punchier but rang a bit too much :-(

So, now I put on a a Remo smooth coated Emperor which I had on my Pearl Masters.They were very easy drums to tune (however they were different size toms 10" & 12") why did I sell those to my brother anyway?

I tuned the tom batter a bit above wrinkle and tuned the reso a bit tighter and also used one moon gel and it's sounding better. I would like the tone a bit higher but when I start to tweek the batter head the drum starts loosin it's punch.

Oh well, time for a cold one.

Tune the batter and the reso the same pitch with the method of the Drum Tuning Bible.
I tune my reso a little higher than my batter after.

Back