Which Zoom recorder in 2014?

Anon La Ply

Diamond Member
I want to buy a new Zoom because the card in my H2 is putting skips and artefacts into my recordings these days. It's given great service and I want to but another. So I go to the site of a local online music shop (http://www.turramusic.com.au/Pages/Search.aspx?q=zoom) and I'm bewildered by the choice:

Zoom H2n Portable audio recorder with M/S and X/Y microphone configurations
Zoom H2n + Accessory Pack Portable audio recorder with M/S & X/Y microphone configurations
Zoom H4n High quality, portable recording device with 4 channel simultaneous recording
Zoom H4n + Accessory Pack High quality, portable recording device with 4 channel simultaneous recording
Zoom H6 24-bit/96kHz, 6-in/2-out modular field recording system & USB audio interface
Zoom H6 + Accessory Pack 24-bit/96kHz, 6-in/2-out modular field recording system & USB audio interface with accessory pack
Zoom H6 EXH-6 XLR/TRS Combo Capsule 2-channel XLR/TRS input expansion capsule for Zoom H6
Zoom H6 SGH-6 Shotgun Mic Capsule Shotgun microphone attachment for Zoom H6
Zoom MS50G 55 effects in a single stomp box!
Zoom Q2HD Portable video/audio recorder
Zoom Q2HD + Accessory Pack Portable video/audio recorder
Zoom Q4 Portable HD video & audio recorder
Zoom R16 Recorder, interface & controller
Zoom R24 24-track recorder/audio interface with sampler, drum machine and built-in FX
Zoom R8 8-track digital recorder/USB audio interface/controller
Zoom RC4 Remote for H4N Recorder Go remote with the RC4

For the most part I want reasonable recordings of rehearsals etc with minimum hassle.

Thanks in advance!

Bugger. I've heard good things about the Zoom 4s but I'm hoping someone's used devices on this list. I don't like buying from the US any more - they always mark up for Aussies now. If I'm going to be overcharged I'd rather my $$ stay here :)

I'm really liking the look of that Q4. Based on my experiences with two incarnations of Q3, it seems to address any small downsides & raises the game. If video content is important, then I recon this is the one to have. Pretty sure I'll be getting one asap.

Why not buy a a new card for the one you have? I took the 2Gb card out of my Q3 and put in a 8Gb card. If the card is causing trouble get rid of it. I have the H4N as well but wanted video so I got the Q3

As you know, I've been using the R16 for some time now and love it. If you're into the multi-track thing.

Otherwise, I also have a Tascam DR-05 stereo flash recorder too that's great.

I'm really liking the look of that Q4. Based on my experiences with two incarnations of Q3, it seems to address any small downsides & raises the game. If video content is important, then I recon this is the one to have. Pretty sure I'll be getting one asap.

Let me know that you think if you get one, please. I didn't even realize a Q4 was available. I've had the two previous versions of the Q3 and love them.

Thanks generally for your suggestions, guys.

Why not buy a new card for the one you have? I took the 2Gb card out of my Q3 and put in a 8Gb card. If the card is causing trouble get rid of it. I have the H4N as well but wanted video so I got the Q3
John, I had another card at home and put it in but it didn't work. I don't understand cards. I probably should try taking it to an electronics shop or sumpin.

Andy, I've decided against the Q series video recorders because you need to place them where the video is good, which may be sub-optimal for sound. Our keys player suggested that if I want to do video (maybe, maybe not) its better to have dedicated video and audio recorders.

Billy & Bo, the R16 looks good. Not sure how nicely it would sit on a tripod in the rehearsal studio, though ...

I've done a few room recordings with a friends h4n. It sounded good. I record sound and film separately but I would prefer it if I didn't have to sync them up. So I would seriously consider the zoom q4.

But if I was in the market for a camera (separate to a recording device) I'd want one that gets everything in frame up close, and I know the gopro does this.

This was filmed on a go pro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE97Gatmqkc

It would have been about 2m away from me but as you can see it looks far away and gets everything in shot, which is pretty important if you don't have much room to work with. Cool thing about the go pro is you can mount it on your chest or head too. Dw just uploaded this the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKGQyx3UXLc

Title is a tiny bit misleading because they did mic the kit but the picture quality is brilliant.

There are some sound clips of it and it sounds like a sweet device. I just bought one off of Ebay, but it hasn't arrived yet.
It should be able to pick up your whole band no problem and then you could just transfer the jam session effortlessly onto your PC.

I just picked up the newish Q2HD for $99 on Amazon. After a few days of messing around with it, I can say that it was worth the price.

For what I intend to do with it, it works well. I don't need AMAZING video quality so the 1080p 30fps doesn't bother me. The audio is what I really care about, and it does a great job recreating the live sound.

I recorded a few of my bag pipe band practices and it all sounds clear to me (for those unaware pipe bands are very loud). I'm going to attempt to do some more drum videos and post them up here if I can manage to shoot one that I'm not embarrassed by my playing.

I got the Zoom Q2HD as a gift and it is fine for my purposes-the advantage of it as I understand is "streaming" which I haven't tried yet. I really wanted the Q3. The Q2 uses up batteries pretty quick and it is so light it is easy to knock it about. So I use the AC adapter and taped the camera to a cymbal stand to keep me from beating it to death-it is relatively inexpensive so if I crush it I guess I'm not out too much. I'd check out the Q4 and I think you can still find Q3s on occasion?
Here is an example of the Q2HD. I videod my 89 year old Mom playing the piano after Mother's day with my Zoom Q2HD. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooO9QYFIJe0

I just picked up the newish Q2HD for $99 on Amazon. After a few days of messing around with it, I can say that it was worth the price...

I got the Zoom Q2HD as a gift and it is fine for my purposes-..

I also got a Q2HD. This thread got me looking at them, and when the price dropped to $99, I picked one up, along with the accessory pack.
It's the first video camera I've had, so I can't compare it to anything. But I'm really satisfied with the audio quality. Video part is OK, I guess.
Haven't done the youtube thing yet - just goofing around with it. I wish the included editing program had more features - it's really 'bare-bones'.
I think overall, it's well worth the relatively small cost though.

GetAgrippa - your grandma rawks!

I have a Q3HD. The sound is really excellent, but the battery life and video quality are horrible. Not bad for the money.

I thought the q3 had great video quality, I'm not all that fussy though.

I was about the get a q4 but I got stuck on whether I really need it to have a zoom (because the q4 doesn't actually have a zoom function) and now I need to save my $$$ for something else.

It's in the pipeline though.

Back