Mallets

jadaflav

I want to get some mallets for my drum set. I think I would mainly use them for cymbal rolls, but it would be kind of cool if it could be used for other things. I don't know what kind to get.

I'm thinking maybe just plain yarn ones, hard timpani, or maybe soft timpani. I don't know how long soft would last though, and I'm not sure how good timpani would sound for cymbal rolls. What would you recommend?

Thanks for your help.

I want to get some mallets for my drum set. I think I would mainly use them for cymbal rolls, but it would be kind of cool if it could be used for other things. I don't know what kind to get.

I'm thinking maybe just plain yarn ones, hard timpani, or maybe soft timpani. I don't know how long soft would last though, and I'm not sure how good timpani would sound for cymbal rolls. What would you recommend?

Thanks for your help.

Most yarn mallets intended for vibes/marimbas are a bit hard for cymbal rolls, though the softest ones would work. Medium to hardish timpani mallets are best, sound-wise. I find the soft ones to be a little too soft.

Vic Firth timp mallets are recoverable (they make kits to recover them), so wear is less of an issue. (How fast are you going to wear them out, anyway?)

BTW, the Vic "swizzle sticks" (drumsticks with mallet heads on the butt ends) are very hard and not what you want for cymbal rolls.

Back