Digital Multitrack Recorders

DrumCat6

I'm considering purchasing a digital multitrack recorder to record my drums.
The recorder I'm looking at is the Fostex MR8HD. It has 4 XLR inputs, and a CD burner.
p40756.jpg

Does anyone have experience with Fostex recorders? I'm mainly looking to record my drums to hear my progress as a drummer, and to record some demos of my playing.

The other idea I had to record my drums is to purchase a Zoom H2. It has built in condenser mics, and I could capture my drum performance that way.
p44181.jpg

I use something similar to the Zoom H2. I use an Olympus LS10, about 400.00. If you need portable, I'd go that route. Excellent capture device. It can really take a drop too, runs on AA batteries (very convenient, no electric cords needed) and has plenty of capacity (at least 8 hours but I think it's actually more of high quality recording) I had an earlier version of the fostex and didn't like it, not enough capacity. Recording yourself and listening is the fastest way to improve yourself, provided you have the ability to hear yourself and admit when it's not happening, not a given.

Do you need portability? I had that Fostex machine and my band used it to record a few tunes. Overall it worked well, but I got annoyed with it's small screen and kind of awkward operation sometimes. It made me wish I was using a computer with a big screen and regular inputs like a mouse and keyboard. We would record ourselves with it, then wait for the file transfer to the computer anyway to do the mixing there. I ended up selling the Fostex so I'm looking at getting a computer audio interface one of these days. Something like the Presonus or Line 6. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think interfaces like these have better preamps which affect sound quality of the recording. Plus they just plug into USB or Firewire.

If you're just using the recorder to listen to yourself and analyze things then the zoom might be the way to go. The Fostex or other audio interfaces seem better for more complex multi track recording.

Keep in mind that with the Fostex you will need to buy mics to use it. I recorded my drums using 4 mics (SM57, AKGD112 and a couple behringer overheads.) It does have phantom power if the mics you have require that.

Thanks for your replies. I decided that I want something portable. Right now, I'm looking at the Zoom H4n Stereo 4-Track Digital Recorder.

It says that you can record a live performance, as well as a stereo feed.
I'm thinking that I can record my play along CD's, and record my drums too.

The H2 is a very capable device, but I would look to something slightly higher end. The H4 is a good idea and Yamaha have recently released a competitor which does much the same thing and is receiving good reviews.

As for stand-alone recorders. I use them quite regularly (a Yamaha AW1600) but their interfaces are often beyond awful and you have to spend hours with your nose in the manual - or be like me and have to record a Big Band and be panicking because you haven't worked out the equipment (I got there in time). Personally, if I were pursuing that route, I would go for a laptop with an interface and some mics. More expensive, but also far, far more flexible and easier to use.

I have an H4 and it works surprisingly well for a small unit. I have used it with and without add-on mics and either way is fine. It also has a receptacle for head phones and a good built in metronome with plenty of settings. M-Audio also sells some decent USB units that plug right to your computer for audio programs

Samson also makes a great usb mic for only about $100. I use mine all the time to track the progress of me and my bands. You may want to look at it.

Back