THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

PAL240.gif

Tama Aluminium PAL240 14"x4"

I really love this drum - is very dynamic, plays well softly, and BRILLIANTLY loudly! Great value as well - I managed to pic one up for £150! Comes up very well on recordings, and is just so fun to play. Only disadvantage is that it may change your playing - my snare fills are a little too excessive and my toms are starting to collect dust because it is such fun to whack . . .

Highly reccomended for anyone that wants a quality snare drum without having to fork out £200 plus . . .

I reccomend this beast. Pearl Brass 14X6.5 free floater.

003_fb_1465_c_large%5B1%5D.jpg

Nice crack too it and the rimshots are intense

Re: What is your favorite type of snare drum?

Rudy McRudster said:
I generally go to Guitar Center and salivate over their 6 x 14 Tama Starclassic G Maple. It just sounds so great. But for now I have a 3 x 13 Pearl Maple pic which is suprisingly warm and fat. I like it a lot.

I had one of those little Pearls - warm, strong, snappy sound. I used it to replace an old Ludwig chrome 5 by 14. I didn't tell anyone in the band I got a new snare and as soon as I started playing everyone turned their heads and immediately noticed the snappier snare sound.

I have ditched the Pearl now for a Spirit solid shell 13 by 4 snare. It's just like the Pearl, only stronger and snappier. There is a bigger range in the Spirit compared to the edge and center, so the Spirit is more expressive. It also produces ear-impaling rim shots. But the Pearl will always have a special place in my heart and is a terrific drum for the money.

http://www.spiritdrums.com/snare/img_newSnare/SpiritDrums06.jpg

141p5dc.jpg

I'm currently really looking into the Lars signature series. 14x6.5. 3mm diamond plated steel. Looks like it would really crack and work perfectly for the intense metal that I play.
I would just hope that it sounds good with my kit. It is $500. I'm also looking into Pearl Brass free floater 14x6.5 and a Firecracker. I really want to make a great choice and my band plays music like Pantera and Anthrax ETC. Any suggestions by anyone? Also with a snare that suits metal very well and is very loud like this, would I have to tune all 6 toms a lot lower to sound better with the snare?

@ Metalthrasher- Vinnie Paul has a sig snare coming out too. All maple, and its only $270. Not bad at all for a 14x8 maple snare.

That copper one should cut through about anything. In fact, you could also look at the bell brass models if you REALLY need to be heard. Tama had a bell brass snare with titanium hoops on it a couple years back, and it came with a hearing warning.

franklinj said:
@ Metalthrasher- Vinnie Paul has a sig snare coming out too. All maple, and its only $270. Not bad at all for a 14x8 maple snare.

That copper one should cut through about anything. In fact, you could also look at the bell brass models if you REALLY need to be heard. Tama had a bell brass snare with titanium hoops on it a couple years back, and it came with a hearing warning.

Thanks and yeah I was checking out Vinnie's snare and it only comes in a snakeskin color which would not go with my kit at all. Anyway I'm really starting to like Lars' snare and it's got good reviews and the drummer in my dads band said that it has really great sound and is easy to tune. I mean I don't want to spend $500, but I guess I will.

142agqf.jpg

There's Vinnie's snare in that snakeskin color and that is the only option that I know of as far as color goes.

MetalThrasher442 said:
Thanks and yeah I was checking out Vinnie's snare and it only comes in a snakeskin color which would not go with my kit at all. Anyway I'm really starting to like Lars' snare and it's got good reviews and the drummer in my dads band said that it has really great sound and is easy to tune. I mean I don't want to spend $500, but I guess I will.

142agqf.jpg

There's Vinnie's snare in that snakeskin color and that is the only option that I know of as far as color goes.

Who cares? Just get it re wrapped. Even with the cost of a wrap, itll be cheaper than the Lars one.

franklinj said:
Who cares? Just get it re wrapped. Even with the cost of a wrap, itll be cheaper than the Lars one.

The lugs on the Lars snare look better and it looks like it would be easier to tune. Anyway I will try to check out both when I go to The Drum Pad if they have both. I'll see what sounds better. That is when I can cough up $500 just incase.

so i want to get a new snare - i am in a band tht plays things like metallica red hot chili peppers, ac/dc etc

maximum budget £200

wot would u say is the best?

thanks

HI guys!I'm also looking for a snare theses days and i'd like some help.I really want to find a funky and warm sound with good rimshots but not dry in the end.WhaT snare type shoyld i search?Maple snares are good for this purpose?

Does anyone kwow something about the Yamaha Musashi 12 x 6 Snare? experience with the snare?
thanks

I know this goes against what alot of people here have said BUT...

I play in a punk band, we also go into some reggae, jazz, metal and funk. I use a Pearl Piccolo, its only 13" by 3" i think but it gets an awesome sound oh yeah its also maple! but the thing is I really like the full bodied, tight, punchy sound, which I can get from my Piccolo.

I just either put an O ring on or off depending on what sound suits the song best!

I am also eyeing off a Gretsch Maple Snare, 12" by 5.5"
My motivation behind buying this is that it will give me the tight, punchy-ness of the piccolo but because it is deeper it will bring in a bit more bottom end which I feel I need for alot of stuff. I also think it will sound sweet for recording!

What does everyone else think of this snare Im contemplating buying?

Last edited:
I use a pork pie snare. 7x13 and its great!
My suggestion to you would be , be very very picky and go out and have fun. Bang away on every snare you find and dont worry too much about the brand name. In my opinion if your looking for a good pop sound stick with pork pie's or a smaller diameter snare

I am tempted by the 'looks' of the Sonor Artists Series Cottonwood Satin Snare.
Has anyone tried this ?
It's a 14x6 9ply - looks great - put how does it sound ? ?

My alternatives are the DW Collectors Maple 14x5 10 ply
and Pearl Masters 14 x 5.5 thinner 4 ply.

My music style is blues type stuff .

Any thoughts ?
Thanks !

I have the Pearl chad smith signature snare and i love it to bits. Its great for funk / rock, that sort of stuff and has a real crack to it. blistering rimshots. I love it to bits as it suits my style of playing. its not too versatile and wont work too well in all styles, but if you play in styles such as funk, rock, rnb, gospel etc then definetly go for it. I have a coated Evans genera g1 on top and a clear remo ambasodor on the resonant, all cranked up and it sounds ace.
cs4214.jpg

Back