Choice? Mapex Saturn vs Tama Starclassic B/B

odinthewanderer

alright,
let me keep this simple

i have a choice between a new set of 4 piece Tama starclassic BB, or i can get a new 6 piece set (one more tom, and a snare) of the Mapex saturn maple/walnuts for about $150 more than the tama.

while initially i was set on the Tama, people love the mapex saturn, and this really seems like a good deal.

should i give the mapex a shot?

let me know what you guys think.

i am actually a guitarist, and this would be a gift for my brother in law, who has been dying for another kit since he had to let his go when he moved a while back.
he kept all his latin and african drums, since they were quiet and do not take up too much space.
i know getting gear for someone else is kindof a loosing proposition, i myself am damn picky about my guitars, and have gone through countless ones to find the right ones.
so, i am doing this as my best guess, it may be better to have him go in and play them, but then again, the surprise of a shiny new kit setup in his apt when he gets home would be pretty awesome.

thanks guys!

Re: choice? mapex saturn vs, tama starclassic b/b

I'd say go for the tama as it is a "higher end" kit than the saturn

The extra drums probably aren't that important as I imagine your brother has his own snare anyway so wouldn't really use the mapex one and the extra tom will most likely just gather dust.

Save the extra money and get a more "pro end" kit imo

Ben

I know you'll lose the "bright and shiny" surprise, but I think you really should test drive before dropping almost two grand on a drumset, especially if it is for someone else.

They both offer great build quality and unique features, though in my mind the Mapex Saturn is a higher end kit and the better deal overall. In the end though I think you should involve your brother in law in the decision. It is a very kind gesture on your part to get him a drumset (that I know he'll be very appreciative for) but being able to pick the brand, finish, and set up options will make this gift have better longevity even if it loses a little initial "wow" factor.

Mapex Saturn! Really, best value on the market. The walnut inner plies add a bottom end that is amazing.

The extra drums probably aren't that important as I imagine your brother has his own snare anyway so wouldn't really use the mapex one and the extra tom will most likely just gather dust.

Ben

Last time I checked Mapex Saturn's were right up to par with the Tama b/b.

If anything I would think that the Saturn would be more high end, having owned one, and trying the Tama b/b.

Not saying that the Tama is bad, just saying that they are both professional kits, and are at the same level of quality and construction.

Ben

LOL. More "pro end" than Mapex Saturn? There's pretty much no more pro than the Saturns, except the Orions, which are very much the same (I actually prefer the walnut on the Saturns) but with nicer finishes. Are you aware of how many Mapex endorsers are playing Saturn drums on sold out stadiums?
Seriously, if you don't know what you're saying, just say you like the Tama brand better and be done with it.
Obviously, I'd go with the Saturns. Beautiful drums. They feel more authentic and versatile than the Tamas to me.
Doesn't the same store offer both kits? Perhaps you can even return them for a full refund if it's a Guitar Center, I know they have that 30 day thing or something. I really think it would be cool to have a 6 piece thing set up at his place when he gets there.

Fox.

At least price wise they're both getting into the pro equipment category. I'm seeing more of the Birch/Bubinga drums coming into the studios these days. Where you can really hear the difference is by playing them directly side by side. I know which I would pick if I was making the decision and I really believe that your brother in law should be involved in the process. The Tama Starclassic B/B for five pieces is going for about $1600 USD and the Mapex Saturn I've seen as low as $1500 for six pieces. These are new kit prices.

Dennis

Not sure why people get hung up on the prices. The Saturns are a fantastic sounding drum. Just because something costs more does not mean it sounds better. You need to try them for yourself. In my opinion the Saturns win hands down. I went to order a B/B kit but left with a Saturn. It had nothing to do with price, and everything to do with sound. I wouldn't trade my Saturns for any other kit out there. They have a very unique sound.

Not sure why people get hung up on the prices. The Saturns are a fantastic sounding drum. Just because something costs more does not mean it sounds better. You need to try them for yourself. In my opinion the Saturns win hands down. I went to order a B/B kit but left with a Saturn. It had nothing to do with price, and everything to do with sound. I wouldn't trade my Saturns for any other kit out there. They have a very unique sound.

I feel the exact same way about my B/B.

It's been said a lot...get your brother in law envolved if possible.

You can't go wrong with either kit, but you should get your b-i-l in on this to see which he may prefer. As a B/B owner I can tell you the B/Bs are no more pro than the Saturns. They both sound great. Didn't this happen already?

Didn't this happen already?

It did!...Neither one is better or more pro than the other.
IMO, there have never been 2 more equal kits in tearms of overall quality.
This one is definately pearsonal preference, but if any one had an edge, it would be the one with more drums for the money.

Just get the one you like best, or better yet, get the drummer involved.

It did!...Neither one is better or more pro than the other.
IMO, there have never been 2 more equal kits in tearms of overall quality.
This one is definately pearsonal preference, but if any one had an edge, it would be the one with more drums for the money.

Just get the one you like best, or better yet, get the drummer involved.

I would tend to agree if the sizes are to your drumming b-i-ls likings.

I know you'll lose the "bright and shiny" surprise, but I think you really should test drive before dropping almost two grand on a drumset, especially if it is for someone else.

They both offer great build quality and unique features, though in my mind the Mapex Saturn is a higher end kit and the better deal overall. In the end though I think you should involve your brother in law in the decision. It is a very kind gesture on your part to get him a drumset (that I know he'll be very appreciative for) but being able to pick the brand, finish, and set up options will make this gift have better longevity even if it loses a little initial "wow" factor.

alright, let me just say
the guy i am getting this for is a saint
makes the best of what he has got, and never complains, and never really asks for anything.

now, that does not mean he wont have a preference, and does not have taste. he does. lol.

i talked to a lot of drummers i have known, and have done a lot of forum research. of course i do not know for sure, but i know the man pretty damn well, know his tastes pretty well, and know his musical influences
it seems for him, he would love either set, both really lend themselves to a broad range of styles, and i am pretty much sure if it were up to him between the two he would probably go for the one with the extra tom and snare, and the one that comes in a natural finish, even though his last set was a tama.
maybe i am wrong, but he just does not seem like a sparkle kinda guy.
really it seems either will sound awesome, and should get the job done more than well if its tuned well. right?

he and i always talk of playing together,( i am in a different state at present, so it has not happend in a while) and by talking with him i can get some info on the subject and gear choice, he pretty much has not touched a kit or been in a drum store for probably 7 years, and probably does not even know the name mapex, and has admitted himself that he would not have much of a clue what to get if he went out to get one.
he is one of the few people who you can surprise with stuff and he is happy.

we all know he did not want to get rid of it when he did, and he planned on getting another one asap, but he is not the kinda guy to go out and buy himself something that big, and really he does not have the money. sooo, it sorta dragged on.

like i said, he does not complain or really ask for much, but we know he is really itching, because their next door neighbor in their apt has a kit and plays it all the time, and its pretty much like someone rubbing it in his face, ya know.

maybe i am wrong, but after thinking it out for a long time, and talking with the other involved, i think the surprise is the way to go
but yes, for most people it would not work.

i plan on doing some more pretend talking about what he would want if he had the chance, hopefully he wont expect it.

but yea usually, picking an instrument is pretty damn hard to do for someone else. i know it would be hard to do for me. i am really picky to an extent, but for someone who knows me really well, it would not be impossible to get something i would freak about. and man if they did the research to dig and figure out that, it makes it all the better.
so, i do not think its impossible, its just hard, and usually does not work.

i am trying to work out setting something up to hear them side by side, but that may be hard to do locally.
i am in texas and he is in PA,
i was talking to a drum shop there.
i talked to them about the particular sound qualities, and it seems if i had to match what i guess his taste would be, to what they said, the mapex would win. BUT
it still is not his ears, even if its my ears.

i am going to talk to the shop and see if they will take it back after its been setup,
maybe arrange for him to go to the shop and play the other one after he finds the one in his apt, but that puts a lot on the shop, they may deal with it, but i dono its a lot to ask.
i suppose we could always bring him there blindfolded and sit him down at it set up, and say we pretty much did the research and picked it out, but for him to make sure he loves it.

i know, its hard.
really hard

i liked the finishes on the tama better, so i got the tama.

+ i don't like the bass drum spurs on the mapex.
I love the spurs. No holes in the shells on the bass or the floors. Plus you can move the mounts anyplace you want them on the shells. The first thing I did was to move the spurs to the other end of the drum so that the badge was facing out front, instead of towards me and under the toms. Works for me. Just look at the little jungle kit I built, to see the versatility.

I own a Saturn, nice kit, but there are a few hardware issues that would stop me buying another one unless they were fixed. The chrome doesn't seem to be as good as that on some of my gear of other brands.

My Saturn snare is a 14x6.5, it's nice and I use it sometimes but I wouldn't buy the Saturn just because of the snare. It doesn't have enough cut for me. I don't have any experience with the 5.5" model however.

I love the spurs. No holes in the shells on the bass or the floors. Plus you can move the mounts anyplace you want them on the shells. The first thing I did was to move the spurs to the other end of the drum so that the badge was facing out front, instead of towards me and under the toms. Works for me. Just look at the little jungle kit I built, to see the versatility.

But they stick out a lot further than they really need to, and the rather large wingnut adds even more to the width, they could have moved it to the side to avoid this. The small tension rod that adjusts the length of the spur also could have been moved 90 degrees around the spur too. These things make it harder to get in and out of cases. and the feet on mine are plastic (not rubber) which is absolutely pointless. Small stuff really and not worth worrying about if you like the sound.

I'm going to try get some sonor wingnuts for my kit, because they're smaller and rounder.

thanks guys, all good points. keep them coming

but i think most are, and should be more concerned with sound than hardware.
and will deal with some things that are not so practical or so on, if the kit has the sound they want.

anyone who has heard em side by side want to break down the differences in tonality and so on. like
sustain, punch, resonance, warmth, depth, brightness, darkness, round, boxy, and so on
how the attack differs between the too kits.
highs, lows, bla bla bla.

thanks again everyone,

i think i really need to at least here them

Back