"Paypal" email scam

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I was (almost) a victim of a crafty online scam.
The "Buyer" emailed me that they had sent the funds to my Paypal account using my email address that I stupidly revealed in responding to an inquiry via Craigslist. Shortly after this, I received to be a what looked like a very genuine looking notification from Paypal that the funds had been received into my account and that they were waiting on the shipping number to release the funds from their "escrow."

I stopped shipment after noticing a grammatical error and a hyperlink in the so-called "Paypal" notification. The incorrect grammar was what set off a red flag in my mind.
So... after reviewing Paypal's policies, I learned that they never put a hyperlink into their mail and that they always address you in correspondence by your first and last name NOT your email address.

Many of you internet savvy folks are already aware of these nefarious scams but I figured I'd pass this along.

This old-dog learned a new trick today.

J.B.

The tip-off for me is that I'm not selling anything :)

The tip-off for me is that I'm not selling anything :)

I'm with you on that one. But I need to get rid of some gear to pay for the new toy so I'm going back to my 'cash and carry, local sales only in a public meeting place' policy.

Thanks for the heads up. I've used PayPal about twice, and I still get occasional emails from them, so I might have been fooled.

Being that craig's doesn't have a connected system with PayPal, as does eBay and online stores you have to be cautious.
If you read the CL advice section they warn you about this exact scam.
When I make a private transaction via PayPal I send the bill to the buyer and I wait until I receive the funds in my CL account that I access through my signing directly onto the PayPal site.

Thanks for the advice Bob, I didn't realize this could be done. I'm kind of leery of doing any more online transactions though. The sale will have to be local in person and cash.

I get leery about CL sales when I find that the buyer lives far away. Most CL buyers are local shoppers. I have made several transactions with out of state buyers though, so you can't go by that entirely. You have to have a conversation with the buyer and feel him out. Don't be afraid of doing transactions via CL where you are paid with PayPal. Just be careful.
I also prefer local cash sales whenever possible.
Again, always talk to the buyer on the phone before doing a long distance transaction. A scammer will usually avoid a phone conversation.

I have been careful and I have met really nice folks on CL both as a buyer and a seller. I weed out the perspective buyers if I don't trust them.
Last week a 10 year old boy came to my studio with his mom and they bought a kit from my CL ad. I was so happy to see the drums going to a good home. Before I invited them to see the drums, I had a phone conversation with the mom so I knew that things were on the up.

Last edited:
I've had that happen to me. Email alert that they sent funds but the funds never actually appeared in my paypal account. Then they threaten legal action and huff and puff.

I simply reply "move on, I'm on to your scam".

There are two big clues to email scam (phishing) emails:

The first is that organisations that know who you are (your bank, PayPal etc.) will always address you by name. Any email that begins "Dear User" or "Dear Customer" is likely to be questionable.

The second is a bit harder to spot. Hyperlinks in emails can be set up like the one below:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Drumclinic/spencerstrandtestoftime.html

It appears to be taking you to a DW resource, but it's really going to take you to Google. Always hover over a link before clicking it, and check that it will take you where you think it will. Best of all though is, if you are requested to log in (to your bank, PayPal, etc.), use your 'favourites' or type the URL in directly.

I get leery about CL sales when I find that the buyer lives far away. Most CL buyers are local shoppers. I have made several transactions with out of state buyers though, so you can't go by that entirely. You have to have a conversation with the buyer and feel him out. Don't be afraid of doing transactions via CL where you are paid with PayPal. Just be careful.

I listed my '88 Tama Granstar Customs on ebay before I realized how much it costs to ship drums, and the risk of one of the drums not making it (or making it but it becomes "not received"). I mean I did a complete breakdown using an Excel spreadsheet to compared shipping between USPS, UPS, FedEx, and Greyhound. In the end, I went to craigslist and, while I sold them for a few hundred less than what I wanted on ebay, I was happy to meet the buyer and see ALL the drums leave with him in his long station wagon. Plus he gave me cash.

Those were my babies for 25 years. Would you send your dog through the mail to the highest bidder? I didn't think so :)

Steph

I recently began listing used gear on reverb.com.
Nothing has sold yet but I have made purchases from the site.
reverb.com is kind of in between eBay and CL.

I use paypal a lot... I haven't had any scam attempts yet, but I'm sure they'll come. Thanks for the heads up, OP!

Back