UK Subs Gig - Most fun I've ever had in my entire life....awful self indulgence warning.....

SquadLeader

Gold Member
Mentioned a few weeks ago that the band I'm in had a support slot for the UK Subs last night....
Dream come true this for us....we've had 8 rehearsals now since picking up our instruments after about a decade out. This was our 4th gig and a dream come true for us all given that we've been following Charlie Harper and the UK Subs from when we were in our teens (now in our 40s)....
Tried to explain it best to my kids....it's the equivalent to them being asked to do a support slot for The Killers in 20 years time.

So...we arrived at The Witchwood in Ashton Under Lyne, a venerable old live music venue on the outskirts of Manchester. I've played there twice in previous bands. It's proven to be a launch pad for many of the famous bands to come out of the UK. And it's a fantastic venue...a great real ale pub attached to just the most perfect, smaller, live music venue.

We got there at the same time as the UK Subs. I made a beeline for Jamie (drums), then gave Jet (guitar) a hand getting his equipment on stage. I have to say, what an absolutely belting bunch of fellows. Without question the most pleasant, and amicable band I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. Neither the two guys above, nor Alvin (bass), and Charlie Harper, could chat enough with us....Jamie and I spent probably half an hour chatting about drums generally, and his 26" Slingerland bass which was just a fucking thing of beauty.

All things having been set up, we were on stage for 9pm...the place had just about filled up....I love punk rock crowds in particular because they're always immensely keen to hear the supporting bands, as well as the main event.

The gig itself went like an absolute dream. Not a single off note, every fill made, not timing issues...just absolutely belting...after a couple of songs we noted that the guys from the Subs had come out of their dressing room to give their support to......to see one of the most revered members of Britain's punk rock scene whistling and clapping us after each song........best moment of my life. Bar none.

The crowd...well we were slightly concerned that our music didn't have the gritty edge which they'd get from the Subs....but after three or four songs we noticed the mosh pit/dance floor/whatever at the front of stage had filled up with mohicaned and spiked, heads bouncing around, and it just spurred us on to play even better.

The crowd asked for an encore....we turned to the Subs just side of stage by now and asked if we had time....thumbs up from them....and we rocked out to Blitzkrieg Bop at lightning speed...we're not really a covers band but we throw two or three lesser known covers in there alongside Blitzkrieg Bop because we know a punk audience will just love it.

And then it was over....as quick as it began.....after weeks of excitement, concern, a poor rehearsal on Thursday followed by a good one Friday....the highlight of our lives was done.

The feeling though as we broke the stuff down to clear the stage, to have people who had never heard us pat us all on the backs, shake our hands, tell us how brilliant we were was a feeling I'll take to my grave....

The UK Subs were absolutely awesome. Meaty, punchy, proper British hardcore punk rock, played with an almost mindblowingly good aptitude, and attitude. Charlie Harper's 68 now, and how the hell he continues to blow crowds away like that is one of the great things in British music for me....long may he continue.

We wandered into their dressing room before our departure to shake hands, wish them well, and thank them for their support of us and spent another half hour (at least) chatting to them...Charlie giving our guitarist advice on a new amp, Jamie talking about their rigorous schedule and how his double bass drum didn't feel on form (I thought he sounded immense throughout).

A dream come true.

The end.

That's a massive experience right there! So good that a dream gig with your heros worked out so well. Sometimes, meeting your heros can be quite a let down, so great to hear it was supremely memorable for you. Then, to have your own gig go so well, & your heros get in on the vibe, is just the icing on the cake.

Have you stopped smiling yet?

That's a massive experience right there! So good that a dream gig with your heros worked out so well. Sometimes, meeting your heros can be quite a let down, so great to hear it was supremely memorable for you. Then, to have your own gig go so well, & your heros get in on the vibe, is just the icing on the cake.

Have you stopped smiling yet?

No...
Still in an oddly emotional state.
Just absolutely thrilled.

I'm a pretty average drummer and don't mind admitting that....I wouldn't know a drum rudiment if it walked up, and shook my hand......I'm very much a 'just hit them' guy....I know my limitations, know that I'm never gonna blow the world away with my drumming...and know that I'm not 100% confident in my drumming.....I just try to keep perfect time, even if the flashes and the thundering chops aren't there.

To have Charlie Harper, one of the greatest British Punk Rock legends, and a personal hero, tell me "your drumming was fucking great" after-gig........it's quite possibly the best moment in my entire life.

In fact....there's no 'quite possibly' about it.

That's great! Playing with a legend like Charlie is huge! It's great when everything falls together like that....great gig, great crowd, great other bands....congrats on the gig!

That's great! Playing with a legend like Charlie is huge! It's great when everything falls together like that....great gig, great crowd, great other bands....congrats on the gig!

Thanks mate.
Not sure how I'm gonna cope with the real world of work tomorrow :-(

I have to add a word about Jamie Oliver, 'Subs drummer for the last 8 years or so.
I don't have a drum carpet. With drums being newly invested in after my divorce, and being on a pretty tight budget, it's something I just haven't had chance to pick up yet, and the stage there wasn't carpeted.
Jamie, noted that I was beginning to gaffa some drum sticks onto the ground to stop myself sliding and began to remove his drums from the stage....
"You don't need to do that Jamie" said I...
"no man...no problem....use my drum carpet"
That's a humbling level of generosity...really great stuff for which I'm immensely grateful.

It's great when things like that happen, and they can energize and inspire you for a long time. And having a guy you respect walk up and make your life a little easier like that can sometimes mean all the difference in the world. He didn't have to do it, but as a kind human he did. Pretty cool.

Damn, that story put a big smile on my face. Can't think of anything better than playing the music you love alongside people you've admired for years- congrats mate!

Well that is cool. I mean one does not have the best moment of life too often, at least I do not. May those moments happen way more often than expected. Peace and goodwill.

Well that is cool. I mean one does not have the best moment of life too often, at least I do not. May those moments happen way more often than expected. Peace and goodwill.

You're right mate.

Moments to be cherished for sure.

Damn, that story put a big smile on my face. Can't think of anything better than playing the music you love alongside people you've admired for years- congrats mate!

Thanks mate...
A dream come true for sure.

Awesome story, thanks for that. Your feet are probably a foot off the ground still. Isn't it great how a great gig makes you feel great for like 2 days after? Only music can do that for you. Again, awesome story! Envious!

Awesome story, thanks for that. Your feet are probably a foot off the ground still. Isn't it great how a great gig makes you feel great for like 2 days after? Only music can do that for you. Again, awesome story! Envious!

100% true.

I've tried a lot of things over the years...nothing comes close to performing live music.

Back