Singing lessons (Yay, Nay)

N

nhzoso

Getting ready to take a few singing lessons to see if it's something I can do, I have been told I am pretty good and I have been told eh not to sing that song again..LOL.

Drumming and playing is tough but there are a few songs I would like to do but need to know if it is worth the time to practice playing and singing it if I cannot sing it.

I am hoping to find out if I can sing, what my range is, and what type of songs I should attempt and which ones to stay away from.

Has anyone here ever taken lessons? Is it truely something anybody can learn ( I am sure an instructor will say yes) as I have my doubts.

If I want to sing rock should I take lessons from a rock singer or does that matter?

Any experience you have with it and can share would be much appreciated. Would you do it again, was it a complete waste of time, best thing you ever did? etc etc.

PS: you will not see a post of me singing anytime soon so do not worry about it....: )

I sing, and have taught, and have taken lessons from time-to-time. The main reason a teacher should be sought out is so you can learn proper technique so you don't do things that would eventually ruin your voice. After learning a bit while I was in college, I realized that the screaming heavy metal singer is doing something technically right if he can do that night after night for a 300 city tour. So I don't think you need to learn from a genre-specific teacher, just a good solid teacher who can help you not to do things incorrectly so you have longevity.

My girlfriend has been teaching voice for over 20 years. She also performs live w/jazz band and I must say is supremely talented. I highly recommend them. I thought I was a decent singer until I began attending her shows. Wow, was I wrong. Good luck. Give me an idea of the music you would sing, classic rock, pop, ballads ala Manilow?

Anything you can learn that relates to music is huge.

DO IT. You'll end up improving the way you view music and how it works even if you get told not to sing anymore, which I don't find likely.

SinGing lessons will help with all sorts of musical endeavour, not just singing. Learning proper breathing techniques and such like makes a huge difference to all areas of your life, not just music making ( at a medical once they took my peak flow, and I blew the tube out of the meter- the doc asked if I was a trained singer, which I am, as they were the only people he had ever seen with the ability to do that!) . A good teacher can turn someone with a good voice into a great singer, and you'll learn how to do it without damaging yourself. Voice was my first instrument and there is no substitute for good technique, even if all you end up doing is singing back up.

In three words, go for it! I doubt you'll regret it.

Yay.................

Back