Unexpected Opportunitiy

cowgard

There is a very talented young local singer, songwriter, guitarist that I have known for 6 or 8 years. Great voice, better guitarist. I am one of several drummers he calls and since a couple of them(in my opinion) are better than me I only get the call a few times a year. I have other bands that I play with and keep as busy as this old part timer wants to so that is cool.
For the last few months he uses me exclusively and tells me how good I have gotten over the last couple of years. I figured he is just blowing smoke and the others just haven't been available, until one the other "better" drummers kind of expressed a bad attitude about it to me.
I know I'm the same mediocre loser that I always was but I'll admit it is a confidence boost and I am enjoying getting to play a lot with a band I've dug for a long time.
Oh wait, I take that back. I must be great. A singer said so.lol David

Why are you being so down on yourself? Obviously he enjoys playing with you. Perhaps it is your attitude toward playing, or the way that you "fit" with his style and what he wants to hear with his music, or just that he gets along personally with you more than some of the other "hired guns" that he plays with. There's more to musical chemistry than just the ability to play "better" than someone else.

Why are you being so down on yourself? Obviously he enjoys playing with you. Perhaps it is your attitude toward playing, or the way that you "fit" with his style and what he wants to hear with his music, or just that he gets along personally with you more than some of the other "hired guns" that he plays with. There's more to musical chemistry than just the ability to play "better" than someone else.
Superb post!!!!!!!!!!!

Usually people equate better drummers,with being busier drummers.I for one don't.I think a good drummer is one who serves the music.Its important what you play between the notes,that lets a tune breathe.People mostly want to hear a groove,not how many notes the drummer can play to a bar.

You sound like you have good ears,and listen to everything else thats being played,including the vocal,and the lyrics.In all probability,you breathe life into your friends music,and when you lay down your drum parts....that's what he heard when he wrote the song.

You guys are a fit,and all the chops in the world,can't touch that.:)

Steve B

Usually people equate better drummers,with being busier drummers.I for one don't.I think a good drummer is one who serves the music.Its important what you play between the notes,that lets a tune breathe.People mostly want to hear a groove,not how many notes the drummer can play to a bar.

You sound like you have good ears,and listen to everything else thats being played,including the vocal,and the lyrics.In all probability,you breathe life into your friends music,and when you lay down your drum parts....that's what he heard when he wrote the song.

You guys are a fit,and all the chops in the world,can't touch that.:)

Steve B
Another superb post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree with Brad - says it all succinctly.

MAD, thanks for posting that toon - saved me the effort :)

Cowgard, I don't always get my head around this stuff either. I have about three beats to my name, rubbish with rudiments, minimal stick control, tempo is dicey, a right foot that makes Meg's bass drum technique look elegant, prone to brain fade errors - and people keep saying I'm a good player.

It seems that you and I are "singers' drummers" - we know our limitations and don't try to star, just to support and fit in, and that's what most singers want from us.

You're probably an easy guy to get along with ... I doubt that you've been putting down the "better drummers". Backstabbers like that "better drummer" who was bagging you out are never easy to deal with - they're aggressive. I expect the singer/songwriter just wants to get on with the music rather than deal with drummer attitude.

Did I mention that MAD's my agent? :)

I find Steve Jordan inspiring - it's like he gives me permission to just sit on a beat with minimal variation, just as long as the beat feels good. He shows us how that basic approach can be not only credible, but fabulous.

I once did a fill in for a band who were heaps better players than me - none of their subs were available so I was called. I was so worried about stuffing up that I stuck to basic beats like glue. Very, very few fills. The bassist - who played in that Jaco style that was popular for conservatory-trained bassists back then - afterwards told me how much he liked my playing and he wanted to get together and play again in the future.

I smiled while thinking "no way" - too much pressure. They were a pretty intense, prickly bunch. I was confused, though ... surely he knew I was several echelons lower as a player?

Then it struck me, it's like being a quiet person who's told they're a good conversationalist by someone who just bent their ear for the last two hours. An interesting lesson.

Consider it a silent pat on the back and go have fun.

Thanks Grunter,that's my plan. By the way it keeps getting better. He just told me we are playing during the big Harley Run in Laughlin, Nevada next month for three days and more money than I ever made as a musician( which ain't saying much). I'm having more fun than when I was young and wanted to be somebody. David

Back