Making something out of nothin..

iontheable

For all you rockers..

This is the band Sleep, an often overlooked band in the rock archives

I truly enjoy their playing, the bassists is absolutely awesome and the drummer makes 'something out of nothing'..guy plays with so much energy he makes the simplest licks sound awesome!

A lot of fun to play for the novice rock drummers

Well just figured I'd share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj9IAvv32wE

Thanks! Checked out a few songs and liked what I heard. Sabbath-esque for sure, with mixes of other styles.

SLEEP! check out Jerusalem ( or Dope Smoker) it's a 1hr long tune that got cut into 6 pieces. it EXTREMELY repetitive but so great! i enjoy Chris Haikus's playing. its serves the riffs so well. but stuff on Holy Mountain and Vol. 4 is great for just starting out. im thinking of Dragonaut. it can be simplified very easily.

SLEEP! I got to see High on Fire (Matt Pike's band after sleep) last year, with the Melvins and Kylesa, in a rather small bar. Was a great gig. Would love to see Sleep if they ever came here.

So jealous, long time fan of the Melvins. Really inspirational stuff!

The Drummer and bass player from Sleep later formed the group OM, for anyone interested.

Glad to see people picked up this thread :)

SLEEP! I got to see High on Fire (Matt Pike's band after sleep) last year, with the Melvins and Kylesa, in a rather small bar. Was a great gig. Would love to see Sleep if they ever came here.

Wow. That sounds like a great show! Melvins and HoF are incredible (Sleep too), Kylesa is decent.. I have their two CDs, but I'm not too crazy about it so far, music is great, but the vocals are too boring (just a lot of repetitive shouting with obvious "melodies").

Sleep kinda reminds me of Kyuss and Electric Wizard. They have similar sounds in that they're dark and doom-y (though Kyuss is less so, and instead stoner-y), and that njot a lot of people have heard of them. Kyuss's Welcome to Sky Valley and Electric Wizard's Dopethrone are pretty sweet, and I got them around the same time I got Holy Mountain a few years back.

Back