Chad Sexton's overhead mic setup

jpipdw

For the Chad Sexton fans out there, has anyone noticed his overhead placement in a live situation?

Looks like one overhead is placed directly on top of the kit, right in the middle, and the left overhead is placed to the left of his kit facing more towards the front.

Interesting placement - I wonder how this type of placement would sound like in a studio environment?

sexton_burstkit2.jpg

Sorry if this is obvious to everyone, but that looks like an X/Y stereo mic directly above the kit.

But there's only 1 mic directly above him in the center, the other one is off to the side

It looks like a stereo mic, which is really two mics in one with each of them facing towards the opposite side (as in X/Y setup.)

I could be wrong. Who knows.

I couldn't tell you the make of it, but to me it also looks like a stereo microphone. You can usually tell by the elongated horizontal head, although most have their capsules stacked one on top of the other. Some even have adjustable stereo pick-up patterns. They're usually feed through a five conductor (XLR 5 pin) mic cable out of the microphone and then split into a left and right signal ( each an XLR 3 pin) at the mixer end. I've used them many times in different environments, but my favorite drum overhead configuration is still a spaced pair.

Just a little insight.

Dennis

I think what we are looking at hanging down from the rack is the rear end of a boom holding the mic under the snare. It's one of those flat Sennheiser thingys like a 609, 906 or whatever?

thats definitely stereo mic over the center of the kit. and the mic on the hats side looks like a 414 to pick up the various percusion things like the spiral zildjian thing, the octobans and rototoms which dont look individually mic'd. there are some mic's running underneath some of those items though.

edit: i just looked around and he uses those 414's in a few places as spot mics for cymbal groups. such as one to his far right by his china and one under his ride as well. check the first pic here...
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?257450-Chad-Sexton-s-New-kit-311-Live-on-Kimmel
the second page has a cool drivers seat pic too.

Back