Mom n Pop Music Stores vs. "You Know Who" Stores

Jim Mattingly

Not trying to ruffle any feathers just trying to get an idea of like minded musicians out here. Do any of you try support your local mom n pop music stores as much as you possibly can or is that even an option for most of you ?? I personally will really try, and I mean really try to give all or most of my business to the small guy when making purchases. But lets face it, most of the smaller stores cannot for the most part compete with some of the pricing and deals the "you know who" stores can give you. Another problem I have run into is that I am actually a good friend of one of the small store owners and he comes to my my place frequently to jam, and he will always notice a new piece of equipment that I did not buy from him, talk about making me feel about low as you can go, and I am a gear nut, always getting new stuff. Lets face it, the mom n pop stores used to be the only ones around and got alot of us started, it is sad to see them taking a hit. I also hate (no offense again) the lack of knowledge you have to deal with at the "you know who" stores, pretty frustrating when the manager of the drum shop just got done popping zits and you ask him a question and his response is,,,uhhh, diecast what... Slinger-what...Sorry if I have offended anyone, not my intention with this post...

I support mom n pop shops to the extent that they have something that I want to buy for a price I'm willing to pay. I used to buy heads and various items from my friend's business, but he went under when "You Know Who" came into town. He just couldn't compete, price-wise or selection-wise.

There are a couple of GREAT shops in Portland that I frequent that deal mostly in second-hand music instruments. Also, pawn shops get my business occasionally when they're not pricing $250 kits at $600...

I would like to say yes, but sadly the answer is no. My (relatively) local shops simply don't carry what I want, and the prices on commodities like heads are just ridiculous. I would be willing to pay them a bit more than online stores, but not twice as much, which is often what they are asking.

What I do, instead, is try to support online specialty retailers, especially for major purchases. I think they are the cyber versions of the mom and pops. I can recommend Shane at www.justdrumsonline.com, Jim at www.drumart.com, and Tony and www.cymbalsonly.com. These are all very knowledgeable people who not only offer good service but have competitive prices. Tony even knows me by name when I call, and knows what kinds of cymbal sounds I like. Shane emails right back when I have a question for him. Great people to deal with.

Yes, mom and pop had my hats that wanted so I payed a whopping $10 dollars more. They also went the extra mile to order my kit so I purchased from them instead. The "other guys" never returned my phone call. Mom and pop consistantly give me better prices on drum heads too. It's worth the extra 45min drive to support them without question.

I'm in the camp of supporting independents. I know some of the box stores carry everything I need as far as sticks, heads, etc. at a cheaper price but I like dealing with guys that I know and are reasonably certain are going to be there next time I shop. Developing a relationship with a retailer can be invaluable. Even if I have to pay a bit more I don't mind doing it knowing that the extra I spend usually comes back to me in terms of good service and extra care. I live at least two hundred miles from the closest drum specialty store and about 300 miles from the one I shop at most. When I make a phone call there for info or sales they know who I am and are happy to track things down for me. It's worth it. Unfortunately the local mom & pops only carry very limited drum supplies and usually its stuff geared for novice players so I don't do much there but I certainly would if they carried more.

I second dales drum shop! I dont think their cymbal prices can't be beat.

Question: why was the GC thread from the other day deleted?! Advertising, I assume?!

I always TRY to support MnP stores... but like some other people have said, sometimes their prices and selection cannot match that of big name music stores.

Although, I have yet to see a store that can beat my local MnP's Sabian cymbals prices. :D

Hmmm tuff one ...

Both of my shell packs came from a very small shop just right down the street from me and both Sonor I might add.

Cymbals are from about every source including that well known Memphis drum shop, but I have to say that GCs online used gear has been the source of about 75% of my buys in the last year ... with deals like a pair of Paiste 15" Giant Beat hats for $59.99 it's kinda hard to say no to that, and if for any reason I don't like one it gets returned to my local store no questions asked. for a full refund.

Snares one from the Bay (acrolite) three from my local GC just five miles down the road one of those being an early 70s vintage 6.5x14 Slingerland COB for $99.00

One note I buy almost everything USED ... the exception being the Sonor shell packs and some hardware. So I guess you could say, just like in real life sometimes I shop at the local village establishment, at other times "Wallyworld"

Throne, Cymbal, heads-when in stock, sticks, odds and ends, clinics, both with admission and without. I but as much as I can if the price is close to what I find online and it's in stock. Usually when I need something, I need it now. to have them order it for me takes longer than ordering online so I order on line.

Yeah, I personally love mom and pops stores, especially when you get to know the owners and they randomly give you money off your purchase.
Also the used equipment deals you can get are sick.

And honestly, if you think about it, without having to pay for shipping and being able to try out the product before you buy it, I think, makes slightly inflated prices worth it.

A majority of my purchases are made at Five Star shops and one in particular gets about 95% of my business. The other 5% might find its way to GC if one of the Five Star shops don't have what I want, which usually isn't the case. This particular shop has some of the best prices, friendliest and knowledgeable people and best selection. I might shop at a lot of different drum stores, but there's where I buy.

Dennis

I wish I had a five star shop around! I haven't found one within 400 miles of my home. That might influence my decision making, too.

I have a bit of a dilemma with this one.

Do I support my local drum shop just because they are local even though they aren't the most well-informed or helpful? Nor can they get things in stock in a timely manner. I've waited 4 weeks for one drum head (store credit from returning a previously purchased head).

There is another local music shop that I have a pretty good relationship with that will order just about anything for me if it isn't in stock.

The big box stores are the other option. It's about an hour drive away and they don't always have stuff in stock that I'm looking for either. I'm not into double bass nor do I care about Travis Barker sig sticks (no offense to TB fans) so most of their inventory doesn't appeal to me either. At least I do get the opportunity to check out the occasional nice cymbal in stock.

That said, I buy most of my gear online from shops that also happen to be local drum shops. I've had excellent service from places such as Memphis Drum Shop, Donn Bennett's Drum Studio, Drum Headquarters, and Steve Weiss Music.

Just bought a beautiful Ludwig Classic Maple (5 years young) and some 50 year old Zildjian hihats from the folks at Sebal Drums in Cleveland. Great service. Competitive prices. Love the little shops.

GJS

Given I took my first lessons and got my first job working in a "mom and pop" music store, they have a special place in my heart.

But, even though I live in one of the music capitals of the world, there aren't many mom and pop shops around, and none that are close to me. I would have to drive past three box stores to get to the closest independent drum shop.

And they don't carry my favorite sticks, so it's not really worth it.

Kind of sad, actually.

Yeah, its tough. There are a few Mom and Pop places close to me but few of them have a decent amount of drum gear. I would have to order everything from drums to drum heads and everything in between.
Their prices are much more that slightliy inflated, and honestly, I cant afford the long wait or the high prices.
My Sonor 3007 6 pc shellpack sold and shipped for $735 to my door in 5 days!.
Hard to beat that.

There are also at least 8 GC's within easy to respectable driving distance from me.
Hard to avoid that also. ; )

There are however pretty much countless fairly large MI stores in the surrounding area and I think I'm gonna go on a bit of a cruise and check em out.
You never know what you might find.
I have found brand new high end "display" items for half of what GC'c prices would be. : )

I always TRY to support MnP stores... but like some other people have said, sometimes their prices and selection cannot match that of big name music stores.

Although, I have yet to see a store that can beat my local MnP's Sabian cymbals prices. :D
And what store would that be? :)

I tried to support a store that I had been dealing with for over 30 years now, but the owner continued to charge me too much for stuff even after showing him what I could get it for at many of the stores that were closer to me. He does not want to change with the times. He no longer gets my business. I am not rich enough to throw my money away. Sorry. The times are a changing. Most of us know what we want before we get to the store now anyway via the internet. Most stores usually push there own favorite products anyways. Whoever they deal with and have a better price point.

Given I took my first lessons and got my first job working in a "mom and pop" music store, they have a special place in my heart.

But, even though I live in one of the music capitals of the world, there aren't many mom and pop shops around, and none that are close to me. I would have to drive past three box stores to get to the closest independent drum shop.

And they don't carry my favorite sticks, so it's not really worth it.

Kind of sad, actually.

It is kind of sad and I guess that was my main point about posting this thread. Although we know you have to grow with the times it is hard to see some great people/merchants/musicians lose what they have literally dedicated their lives to. I am as guilty as anyone for making purchases off the internet and from the "You Know Who' stores.

Back