Painful Forearms and hands

JohnoFisher

Hey guys, basically since april i have had this constant ache withmy fingers hands and forearms. I thought i was playing to hard so i toned it down a bit, which did help. Butbasically its to the point that if im given a pen and try to write with it i dont feel like i have much control over it. Just wondering if anybody has any advice or tips?

Johno

Hello, I really think you should go and see your doctor for some professional advice and guidance. But It will be wise to rest for a couple of days and see if the pain disappears. You can also pay attention to your technique and mechanics to see if you're doing something that can cause that kind of pain. I wish you the best, so good luck with that.
Sebastian

Does playing hard mean you are pounding on the drums or does it mean you are gripping too hard. sounds like that to me. One other thng that will help while you heal is to loosen your snare head while you practice. Pounding on a surface with little give will cause harm after a while.

Thanks guys, im wondering if its anything to do with my electric drumkit too, i guess that has a very tight head, and i do play it alot?

Search around for info and perspective on this - there are dozens-upon-dozens of threads here, just like this.

Thanks guys, im wondering if its anything to do with my electric drumkit too

It might; I've noticed that I almost never have finger or wrist pain when I play a regular acoustic drum set, but when I play the Roland V-Drums at the church where I work, I sometimes experience slight pain in my right wrist. I think it has something to with the rubber pads (not so much the mesh heads) transferring vibration through the sticks to my hands.

Your technique is hurting you. You should be able to play on cast iron heads with no pain. You have to work the stick in such a way that the stick absorbs the shock, instead of transferring it to your hands. If your stick is mashed against your palm when you strike the drum, then your hands are taking the shock. You need to keep that stick off your palm and suspend it more with your fingers, so it takes the shock.

This is a technique issue. Playing an electric kit should not make a difference. I've spent 1000's of hours on a practice pad with no ill effects, as have many others.

Visit a doctor. Then visit a good drum teacher.

Back