Off to see a potential Gadd-fest next month

mikyok

Platinum Member
The wifey has got me an early birthday present to see Paul Simon at Hyde Park next month. James Taylor is supporting.

I know Gadd drums for JT these days but is he gonna roll out and do 50 Ways and Late in the Evening?

Can't wait, massive JT fan and Simon and Garfunkel fan.

Treasure this memory, especially if you get to see him do 50 Ways. We don’t know how many more years we have him for, man.

I saw him with JT in 09 and he sat in the pocket for 2 hours, best pocket player I've seen live.

Jealous........have a ball. Hug your wife.

Will do on both, I knew landscaping the garden would pay off, just hope the weather plays ball :) If it's like it was for Carole King 2 years ago I'm laughing!

He's gonna blow Jim Oblon off the stage...

Gutted, he only played with JT but man he's still got it in spades! The sound, the feel, there's only one Gadd!

It was cool to see him on a kit with old played in heads on a hot summers day with a few pints.

Great gig hey?

Was mildly surprised he didn't get a solo - JT introduced the bass player; solo, then Steve Gadd... no solo. Still, great to see him.

Paul Simon's drummer was pretty tight though - imagine the pressure of having to play both 50 ways and Late in the Evening with Steve listening in :D

Great gig hey?

Was mildly surprised he didn't get a solo - JT introduced the bass player; solo, then Steve Gadd... no solo. Still, great to see him.

Paul Simon's drummer was pretty tight though - imagine the pressure of having to play both 50 ways and Late in the Evening with Steve listening in :D

JT was amazing as usual, 3rd time I've seen him. Felt he should have headlined.

Didn't even notice the lack of solo in all honesty, but you stand in awe at Gadds pocket playing. None of the old stuff was how Russ Kunkel played them but man it was good.

Jim Oblon was brave playing Late in the Evening with only 2 sticks, reckon he got a schooling when he got off stage :)

I was a bit disappointed with Paul Simon, lot of obscure stuff nobody had heard of played in front of a festival crowd with the good stuff thrown in at either end. The encore was amazing but the whole concert should have been like that!

You can tell the feud with his mate Arthur is still going strong!

Ha right? A little "No offense to Art.." would've softened the savagery.

There was one track in the middle which went on and on and on - but on the plus side, had time for a loo run and trip to the bar so no harm done.

Ha right? A little "No offense to Art.." would've softened the savagery.

There was one track in the middle which went on and on and on - but on the plus side, had time for a loo run and trip to the bar so no harm done.

Unfortunately didn't need the loo at that point and I was driving back after the gig so I couldn't have anymore!

I think all the musicians I know went to the Hyde Park gig!

I was tempted but the ticket prices were a little too much for me.

From what I’ve seen though it looked a good show.

Great gig hey?

To you first point—I’m not sure James Taylor’s music is right for drum solos—although if anybody could pull it off tastefully and seamlessly, it would definitely be the utterly tasteful Mr. Gadd. So I hear you. I’d love to have stolen some ideas from a Gadd solo. I’d have been disappointed too, hoping for a solo and then my hopes being dashed.

To you second point—HAHAHA for REAL. I don’t think anybody would feel totally confident playing 50 Ways in front of Gadd. For Pete’s sake, it’s probably the most famous and instantly recognizable drum groove ever. I know it inspired me the first time I heard it on the radio.

Back