More amazing Simon - "most farmer's wives in Bulgaria dance in 9/8"!

I love his approach! Like I said in the other thread, I really dislike complexity for complexity's sake, but on the flipside of that I love when complexity is hidden behind deceptive simplicity.

Take this 33/8 piece, as played (masterfully) by Simon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PqxiWOxwuw
It's damned near dancable, even for western ears.

Now imagine what someone like Virgil Donati would have layered on top of that. Here he is "grooving" in 13/16:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h62F6vWgPu4
Virgil's chops are obviously absolutely insane, but I've never heard him even try to break a rhythm down to simple components; it always seems to end up being a chopfest.

I love his approach! Like I said in the other thread, I really dislike complexity for complexity's sake, but on the flipside of that I love when complexity is hidden behind deceptive simplicity.

Now imagine what someone like Virgil Donati would have layered on top of that. Here he is "grooving" in 13/16:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h62F6vWgPu4
Virgil's chops are obviously absolutely insane, but I've never heard him even try to break a rhythm down to simple components; it always seems to end up being a chopfest.
I couldn't agree more Naige, & two perfect examples to illustrate the point. A lot of it is irrelevant to me, because I just don't possess the skills to augment the way Simon does, or even find myself in a playing situation where it's of use, but I do take the principals to heart, because that's a useable lesson for every time I play :)

Dude, that was awesome. What a beautiful and groovy sounding piece.

And at around the 2:00 mark, I think we have the conclusive evidence we've been looking for that everyone needs a double bass pedal.

Simon is soooo good at getting odd signature stuff to groove, & in this video clip, he explains how.

Yes, Simon's a master in odd time groove, again the consistent and repetitive hi-hat pattern is the key, he use this hi hat concept quite often in many styles, even in 4/4 stuff, usually when he plays a fairly complex or syncopated groove, this trick just makes the groove flow so much better, but it's difficult to lock such a pattern while other pieces of the kit/limbs are going crazy :)

Take this 33/8 piece, as played (masterfully) by Simon...

Oh man... when Simon released those vids in the early 90's, I watched them at least a 100 times, I think even my wife knows the drumming by heart, lol.

As for the Virgil clip... I couldn't keep a straight face :) I just remember when Michele Drees took Virgil into a demo Guru drums room and both Andy and I had no idea who we were talking to... until later when he was gone, haha.

As for the Virgil clip... I couldn't keep a straight face :) I just remember when Michele Drees took Virgil into a demo Guru drums room and both Andy and I had no idea who we were talking to... until later when he was gone, haha.
You've got nothing to worry about Henri, I was the "hack" that demonstrated a kit to him (very badly), & subsequently found out who he was :( Oh boy, did I feel stupid!

Some recent footage from the Tama 40th Anniversary Drum Festival with Simon, here he tackles most of what discussed in this thread, odd time signatures, brilliant use of dynamics, consistent hi hat patterns and finishes with the Space Boogie shuffle in 7/8, this guy genuinely never cease to amaze me :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrbI0tmOgq8

His set up also never changed for the past 40 odd years too, except now he has 3 snares, lol.

His set up also never changed for the past 40 odd years too, except now he has 3 snares, lol.

Not quite true. He used to have three floor toms, but in that video he only has one, with the other two mounted as rack toms up higher.

Not a huge change, but pretty noticable since it happens so rarely :)

simonphillips750.jpg

I seem to remember reading that his left-side china is the very same one he's had there since the 70s.
Edit: Can't find anything verifying this china cymbal claim, so I'm probably wrong. Don't want to spread rumours :)

Last edited:
Not quite true. He used to have three floor toms, but in that video he only has one, with the other two mounted as rack toms up higher.

Not a huge change, but pretty noticable since it happens so rarely :)

I seem to remember reading that his left-side china is the very same one he's had there since the 70s.
Edit: Can't find anything verifying this china cymbal claim, so I'm probably wrong. Don't want to spread rumours :)

I remember he had an 18" bass drum in addition to his double 24"s, in 1998. ("Another Lifetime" album and tour).

Also, the 10" closed hat and 22" China (both right side) are gone.

And at around the 2:00 mark, I think we have the conclusive evidence we've been looking for that everyone needs a double bass pedal.

Well, I see your point. You now have conclusive evidence that in order to play that song the same way he did, you need 2 bass drums.

I couldn't agree more Naige, & two perfect examples to illustrate the point. A lot of it is irrelevant to me, because I just don't possess the skills to augment the way Simon does, or even find myself in a playing situation where it's of use, but I do take the principals to heart, because that's a useable lesson for every time I play :)

I see what you mean Andy.The way Simon just fludily weaves what he's going to play in an very odd time signature.Simon never ceases to amaze and impress me,with everything he plays,how he listens,and the dynmaics of just how,he expresses himself on the kit.The sound he gets ,also amazes me,and any volume.

On that Tama 40th aniversary vid,,his 4 independance was jusy amazing,and how his dynamic went from pianissimo to forte,..... lighting fast was impressive.Blazing hand speed.He's been one of my favorites since I saw him with the Who in 89 with that huge red Tama Artstar kit.

Steve B

I have a total man-crush on Simon. Friggin' genius. And I don't throw that word around lightly. Not to mention, a very bright, erudite cat. The total package. Love him.

I have a total man-crush on Simon. Friggin' genius. And I don't throw that word around lightly. Not to mention, a very bright, erudite cat. The total package. Love him.

It sounds like you wouldn't be so enthused if you were a Bulgarian farmer, though. I mean, the guy would know a bit too much about your wife.

It sounds like you wouldn't be so enthused if you were a Bulgarian farmer, though. I mean, the guy would know a bit too much about your wife.
Did you check out Jeff's link Doc? If I was a Bulgarian farmer, I wouldn't give a flying f*&^%k what influence Simon had over my wife. I'd be happy with the crumbs off the table ;)

Back