The Phenomenal Massimo Russo - Please Watch This

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
Hi all,

It brings me great pleasure to show you this. This is a very good friend of mine, Massimo Russo, with whom I studied in Vibo Valencia, Italy. This is his performance at the Nottingham Drum Fest last night, which I had the privilege to open for, record, and watch from the front row.

http://youtu.be/yTRhbw547aY

I implore you to watch the whole thing, as it's an absolute master class in latin drumming. He has studied extensively in latin percussion, as becomes abundantly clear in his solo in the middle. He is a rising star, and I'm certain he will go all the way. To top it off, he is a thoroughly nice person, and I'll be enjoying his company for dinner tomorrow night.

For those interested, my own performance opening for this show can be seen here: http://youtu.be/6K1M0DgsSJ4

Thanks all,
J

Wow, very nice and original, this guy certainly has something to say!

This is a very good friend of mine, Massimo Russo, with whom I studied in Vibo Valencia, Italy.

Sorry, I'm just curious: what did you study with Massimo Russo in Vibo Valentia? Music or drumming? Now, that would be really interesting: Vibo is certainly a nice place with an important and long history, but I would never had thought somebody would go there from England to study music or drumming!

Wow this guy is just so rhythmic! Very refreshing approach to the set. I don't have the stones to do a solo that long, but his was entertaining from front to back. Thanks for posting Jonathan

I studied drumming with him. I went over there for private tuition with him after seeing him at a clinic locally.

Am I stupid: I understood you and Massimo went to Vibo to study in some music school! I did not realise - language problem? - that Massimo was teaching in Vibo and you were one of his students! Actually I never heard of Massimo before, and I was not aware he was also a teacher (and what a teacher ...). Anyway: thank you very much for letting me discover a drummer with a strong personality and an original voice!

Sorry for the miscommunication. Looking back, I can see why what I said is ambiguous. He is FROM Vibo Valencia, and offers intensive private tuition.

I stayed at his house for six days. He put me up, fed me, showed me around, and we did all day every tuition. All I paid for was the tuition itself, and the flight to get there. It was fantastic, and I'm so glad you all like his playing.

Back