Newb question: Brooklyns or classic bops

Tomer

Hello all,
new to this forum and planning on getting a brand new kit!
I was looking at the Gretsch new classic bops at first but then my dad linked me some offers on the Brooklyn series and they caught my attention as well.

I have NO idea if these two sets are even from different tiers.

Needs: mainly Jazz and some Funk, 3 pc.

I'm wondering whether the Brooklyns are significantly better than the Classic bops since they are priced differently.

P.S: i'm getting a Ludwig BB too just in case it matters. (help with choosing their best BB model would also be very much appreciated)

Brooklyn's are made in the Ridgeland, SC factory. New Classics are not USA made. Not sure where? Taiwan or China prob. Still great tubs. I love the Brooklyn's. Warm with a nice big spread. Maple and poplar hybrid shell. Same hardware as on the USA custom line. New Classics have proportionately sized shells. Maple shells. Tube lugs on all the drums that are brass I believe. They're both great kits. Gotta get your limbs on them to work them out

Thanks for the reply!

any one else has got any more insights, both facts and personal preferences (price wise, setup wise etc...)?

I'm about to buy a Brooklyn 3 pc shell kit. Done a lot of research here and elsewhere. The consensus seems to be that Brooklyn's are a less pricey way to get the Gretsch USA Custom build & Hardware. I've heard them in my local shop, and they are super sweet sounding (and beautiful looking).

This is a bop kit I saw online that looked really nice...

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...-brooklyn-4pc-bop-kit-12-14-18-5x14-mahogany/

I also think Catalina Clubs can't be beat for value/performance. Those are great kits for funk and jazz. I love mine.

I'm about to buy a Brooklyn 3 pc shell kit. Done a lot of research here and elsewhere. The consensus seems to be that Brooklyn's are a less pricey way to get the Gretsch USA Custom build & Hardware. I've heard them in my local shop, and they are super sweet sounding (and beautiful looking).

Have you tried the New classic bops though?

I own a New Classic in 10 12 14 16 20, and absolutely adore it. I also own a Catalina Club in 12 14 18, but in fact I'm looking to upgrade that to a Brooklyn in those sizes in the near future. I think the Brooklyn's really lend themselves well to the jazz tunings, as they are more open sounding. Not played one myself yet, but I have no doubt from feedback and recordings I've heard. Because I have the Catalina Club at the moment, I've not had the need to tune my New Classic for specific jazz. I have no doubt it would do it well, but if the Brooklyn is affordable for you over the New Classic, I'd go for that!

In my excursions, it seems that the Brooklyns and the New Classics are basically in the same ball park price wise. If I were choosing I definitely know which one I would buy.

Hint, the one made in USA.

Dennis

They are both great kits. The Brooklyn has thicker hoops and it will sound slightly different than the New Classic.
Personally I would probably go with the Brooklyn.
You should take your time and make your mind up based on what you like.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for everyone's replies!!!
All your comments really do get me an idea of which set to choose.
Anyhow, I like hearing as many opinions as possible so anything else is more than appreciated.

AGAIN does any one know which Ludwig BB model is best, or at least what are the characteristics of each one?

Thanks again you guys! :D

Oh another important issue is the sizes. Only this year the 14X18 bass drum was released so many stores do not hold onto the 14's. Personal opinions about that? does it drastically matter? (again Jazz&Funk)

The New Classics are nice, but I would go with the Brooklyns. They are hand-built right alongside the USA custom line in South Carolina, with all the same hardware as the USA Customs. Just be aware there is a 4-5 month wait time (as I just recently learned while ordering mine). Good luck.

The New Classics are nice, but I would go with the Brooklyns. They are hand-built right alongside the USA custom line in South Carolina, with all the same hardware as the USA Customs. Just be aware there is a 4-5 month wait time (as I just recently learned while ordering mine). Good luck.

What?! 4-5 months?.... that's really a long wait time, not to mention the extra time due to international shipping. Is there any way to speed up that process?

I would go with the Gretsch Brooklyn series, for many of the reasons already stated.

The 16" isn't a bad idea, Its just a matter of personal choice. I like the look of 14" deep bass drums over 16" I really can't tell much difference in the sound.
Pick the size that you prefer.

Last edited:
Though I don't own Brooklyn's, I do own a New Classic and USA Custom bop set
Both are incredible instruments. I would not discount the classics because they are not made in the USA. Infact, I enjoy the New Classics so much, I just recently bought a New Classic snare to add to the two USA Custom snares I have. These are magnificent drums.

I'm confident that the Brooklyn's are incredible instruments as well. Just please do not eliminate the New Classic because they are made in Taiwan.

Can any one relate to the 16X18 vs. 14X18 bass drum issue? Is getting the 16 a bad idea?

I've started a thread last week on that exact question - take a look if you like! It should be "kicking" around somewhere recently (pardon the pun).

I also second the point about not giving the new Classic's a shout because they aren't USA made like the Brooklyn's - they are still perfect quality and faultless - make your decision based on which sound you prefer - not "Made In ..... " snobbery!!

Regarding the Black Beauty, I have a 14x6.5 model, not hammered. I do love it, and it plays every genre well when tuned suitably, but I would use my 400 Brass Edition over it for those genres. Maybe just because that is how I have them tuned and it makes more sense to grab one than retune the other! But to be honest, you really can't go wrong with a quality Ludwig snare drum - there's a reason they have been the industry standards for decades!! You'll love any of them! I haven't played the hammered BB's by the way, but neither have I ever actually seen anyone play one compared to the standard one. Must go to say something about which is more suitable for most music!

I've started a thread last week on that exact question - take a look if you like! It should be "kicking" around somewhere recently (pardon the pun).

Thanks for linking me to your thread, helpful! though it didn't quite help me really determine which's better for me (I'm counting on the web since trying out kits around here isn't as simple as it is in the US let's say...).

I've been looking at numerous stores yet haven't found a 14''... Can anyone link me a store which has those + is known to ship internationally? I'd be really thankful!!

Btw, I've seen people discussing mounting a rail mount by themselves.
Risky? recommended to be done on a 14''?

A million thanks for all the help guys!

Thanks for linking me to your thread, helpful! though it didn't quite help me really determine which's better for me (I'm counting on the web since trying out kits around here isn't as simple as it is in the US let's say...).

I've been looking at numerous stores yet haven't found a 14''... Can anyone link me a store which has those + is known to ship internationally? I'd be really thankful!!

Btw, I've seen people discussing mounting a rail mount by themselves.
Risky? recommended to be done on a 14''?

A million thanks for all the help guys!

Google Steve Maxwell's and I believe he can get you either of these.

Thanks for the suggestion. Isn't that store kind of a rip off though? I've seen Brooklyns for under 2k and he's selling the set for about 2.3, not to mention he owns only two finishes.

Any other known sellers?
Maxwell's is not a, "Rip Off" store. Steve Maxwell specializes in selling vintage drums that are accurately described and retail priced according to their condition. In other words, you get what you pay for at Maxwell's. They also stock modern kits that have vintage features that they either special order or add in house.
When you buy from Steve M you are not buying from Guitar Center.
Call them and ask for a quote.
I bought a 68 Ludwig kit from them a few weeks ago, I paid for a collector condition kit, and I got one.
I am 100% satisfied. The drums are in the exact condition that was described.

Back