Busking is Awesome!!!!!!! Finally out there with my suitcase kit!!!

robertondrums

Hello fellow drummers!

Thought I would post this thread just to say thanks to all the drummers that helped me to get started busking and for all their advice.

I've been busking now for the past few months and it is amazing. Nothing like cheering the people up in the streets, seeing kids dance to your music and people actually having a laugh. I found an old hundred year old suitcase and turned it into a drum kit. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GioSNXUFBCo

Thats my bro on the lap slide. Just released a CD too. Check that out if you want.

http://www.street.echotown.co.uk/

Hope you enjoy the vid and the music we play. Thanks.

Robertondrums

I'm working on making a drum set that I can carry on my back! Its gonna be so much fun, I can't wait! Just out of curiosity, do you make any money? I'm willing to do it purely for the fun of it of course, but a little money would be nice... :D

The main thing that makes me a little apprehensive about busking is the volume. I see you had what looks like a regular snare, cymbals and a couple of mini timbales (?). They'd be pretty loud, no? Were you playing outside of shops or anything like that? You looked to be giving the drums a fair thwack.

This is definitely something I want to try though

So you just go out and play? Is it all improv? This looks like real fun, but i don't have the skills nor the equipment to do so. Maybe one day, my local mall is the perfect place.

Nice job! Love that suitcase kit!

pretty cool! it looks like you're playing bass drum but i don't see a bass drum. are you using a pedal to play the suitcase itself?

You guys are great ...

Reminds me of Richard Johnson on Beale street here in Memphis ...

Check his "trap" kit, he usually works as a total one man band!

RichardJohnson.jpg

You can hear him on YouTube ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=749f1i4-k8Q&feature=related

I'm working on making a drum set that I can carry on my back! Its gonna be so much fun, I can't wait! Just out of curiosity, do you make any money? I'm willing to do it purely for the fun of it of course, but a little money would be nice... :D
WOW!!! that sounds interesting!!! you will have to post a thread with some vids of you using it or pics, really interested in seeing it. As far as money goes, check out the vid and have a look at the guitar case on the floor. We open it for tips. Put it this way you can make a good living off of tips. Thats very dependent on what you do and were you play. And some days you can do really well and others barley have enough to have a subways sandwich. We now sell CD's too. Thats were the money is. Check the CD out if you want.

Thanks for the comment mate. Hope all goes well with your ideas.

Robertondrums

The main thing that makes me a little apprehensive about busking is the volume. I see you had what looks like a regular snare, cymbals and a couple of mini timbales (?). They'd be pretty loud, no? Were you playing outside of shops or anything like that? You looked to be giving the drums a fair thwack.

This is definitely something I want to try though
Ye somtimes volume is a problem. I do use a regular snare, and tama steel mini tymps. It really depends on were you play. I also make a habit of making friends with the local shop keepers, telling them how long we intend to stay ect. Also the harder you hit the louder it is, so keep it nice and gentle. Unless the area doesn't have a problem with you thwacking it. LOL

Thanks for the comment.

Robertondrums

So you just go out and play? Is it all improv? This looks like real fun, but i don't have the skills nor the equipment to do so. Maybe one day, my local mall is the perfect place.
I'd say 90% of it is improv. That tune thats on the vid is actually one of our songs but we just tend to improv around our songs. We try our best not to repeat stuff as that tends to annoy the locals. We do tend to play our songs on the CD, and on the upcoming CD, and yes it is great fun!!! Best thing you can do is just give it a try, it's weird because I never get nervous on the street.

Thanks for the post.

Robertondrums

pretty cool! it looks like you're playing bass drum but i don't see a bass drum. are you using a pedal to play the suitcase itself?
Ye I'm using a bass pedal. I was puzzling on how to attach the pedal then my dad, the genius that he is, walked in the room with a door hinge. We attached the door hinge to the suitcase and then the pedal attached to the door hinge. GENIUS on my fathers part. Hahaha.

Thanks

Robertondrums

Love it. Love the playing, love the kit. Mad keen on slide guitar too. You guys really got the magic going when you turned off the snares and your brother went Eastern.

That suitcase does the job just fine for busking - and then you just pack everything in it! All very sane.

Rob, is the suitcase kick like this one? http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60170
Thanks very much for you comments mate. Really glad you like pal! Thanks. The suitcase is awsome!!!! It's nothing like the one in the pics. Altho the one in the pics is very very impressive. My padal is simply attached straight to the suitcase. So all the sound is from the suitcase. Sounds really powerful in the streets. We put a piece of wood on the case for the beater to hit as it was starting to wear a whole in the case from a constant hammering from the pedal.

Thanks for the great comment.

Robertondrums

Back