Mounting Ludwig Hardware?

ludwigtrap

Looking for any info, specs or tips regarding mounting hardware to a new Ludwig Legacy kit?

• Are there some type of specs or measurements for drilling a 14x26 to install a 70's Ludwig rail consolette and cymbal L-arm? Also drilling the 10x14 for a bracket.

• Any tips for minimizing chipping while drilling 3-ply drums?

I'm not looking to start another drill or not drill debate. I will be drilling regardless. Just looking for any advise for those of you who have done this.

Also if anybody knows of an experienced drum tech in the Chicago/Milwaukee areas that have experience doing this that would be great.

Thanks.

Steve Maxwell has a new Rail Mount that looked pretty dang awesome at the Chicago Drum show in May.

Also, consider using one of the new ATLAS mounts to mount the tom.
They will be in stores in a couple weeks. It just replaces a lug and will mount as usual, saving you from drilling. Unless you want the full vintage thing.

I would have Maxwell's hook it up.

• Any tips for minimizing chipping while drilling 3-ply drums?

I saw a guitar luthier drill a hole into a guitar, and to keep the wood from chipping, he first drilled a small 1/16" hole using a Dremel tool, and then pulled out what I think he called a "step bit". It looked like a long drill bit that started very small and eventually went up to the size he wanted. Very cool because it gradually cut the wood bigger and I guess caused less strain on the wood so it didn't chip. You can probably find these at Lowe's or a pro woodworkers' shop.

+1 on the New Ludwig Atlas tom mounting system.No drilling required to the tom,but you'll have to drill the bass if you intend to use a rail consolette.

The alternative is to use a cymbal stand to mount your tom,and forgo drilling your bass drum.

Using blue painters tape and a step drill bit,will decrease the chance of splintering or tearout,should you decide to mount a consolete rail mount.

The current Ludwig mount or the excellent Steve Maxwell consolette tom mount have a different mounting pattern that the standard consolette mount,and both come with drilling and layout instructions.

Steve B

Thanks for all the input.
I'm probably over thinking the whole thing considering it's just 8 small screw holes total. But the thought of royally messing up a brand new kit has me a bit paranoid.

Those new Atlas mounts are a cool idea but they're certainly a bit odd looking. Seems to be a lot of buzz about those and the new cast badges so I imagine they'll go over well.

Back