recording session

Mike, just out of interest what practice/exercises would you suggest he does to help him sort out the issues that you pointed to?
I would suggest exercises that promote continuity of playing. Running over rudiments would help with this since 16 16th notes will be required for each bar of 4/4. This will go a long way toward understanding the sticking required to make sure fills add up properly. Learning to read charts will help to visually cement the idea that structure and a certain predictability is important. And in this case, it's probably not a bad idea to put on some headphones and start playing along to some covers until they can be done without a huge number of mistakes.

It just sounds to me like there's this drumming going on that doesn't have any direction and at this point I can't conceive of a musical genre where it would be fitting. But like I said, I think there is some potential there - I just don't think he needs to be reinventing the wheel as much as he is. Studios are an unforgiving environment. Once you commit something to tape, it's there for the ages. You really want to put down drumming that's not only to the best of your ability, but that meets the needs of the music.

Last edited:
Jakester.

Dont sweat it. If you and the rest of the band are happy with the way you all play, just go for it.
We cant all be pro or session drummers. The main thing is to enjoy the process. If you go in full of tension cos you are not used to a click, then dont use one, cos you wont have time to practice enough with a click to get used to it before hand.
Stay in your comfort zone.
Have you done any band rehersal recordings? If you like the feel of them then just go with that feel. If you try to change too much in a short space of time the wheels will come off.

If the studio is booked, do your songs the way you feel comfortable. Check them out over the next few weeks, then decide what you want to mix/keep.
If you then feel timekeeping is an issue you can then do as the guys below advise and practice rudiments and work with a click till you are comfortable. Then give it another go.

Best of luck, and ENJOY.

I would suggest exercises that promote continuity of playing. Running over rudiments would help with this since 16 16th notes will be required for each bar of 4/4. This will go a long way toward understanding the sticking required to make sure fills add up properly. Learning to read charts will help to visually cement the idea that structure and a certain predictability is important. And in this case, it's probably not a bad idea to put on some headphones and start playing along to some covers until they can be done without a huge number of mistakes.

Thanks Mike, that makes a lot of sense.

I could say that a punk rock band doesn't need a click, but then Green Day (for example) always uses one.

I'll point out that as far as "punk" goes, GD currently has some of the most stale, over-produced, pop-y, un-punk feeling music out there.

I'll point out that as far as "punk" goes, GD currently has some of the most stale, over-produced, pop-y, un-punk feeling music out there.
First off, that's entirely subjective and we could debate the merits of GD elsewhere. But more importantly, there are tons of "punk" bands that have used clicks and gotten away with it. GD was only used as an example because they're famous enough for most on here to have heard them and to provide context.

First off, that's entirely subjective and we could debate the merits of GD elsewhere. But more importantly, there are tons of "punk" bands that have used clicks and gotten away with it. GD was only used as an example because they're famous enough for most on here to have heard them and to provide context.

Call me bitter, I kinda grew up on GD as a local band, back when they were good and they weren't playing crap pop music to the very people they claimed disdain for.

Call me bitter, I kinda grew up on GD as a local band, back when they had more angst than talent and they weren't playing pop music showcasing a sense of growth and maturity as songwriters to the very people they claimed disdain for.

^^^Fixed it for you ;)

I'll never get why "real punk" has to sound like a Guitar Center after school lets out. I've liked and listened to many musically unpolished "real punk" bands and I never saw it as a bad thing if maybe they'd practice a little bit and learn to play their instruments.

I've liked and listened to many musically unpolished "real punk" bands and I never saw it as a bad thing if maybe they'd practice a little bit and learn to play their instruments.
Back in '88 someone had the decency to turn me on to Scratch Acid. Wow, great players (drums and bass especially). They're on tour right now. If you can, see them before they give up the ghost for good.

Back