...for the jazz cats ...

I'm sure when we play it for the gig the band will just play the head form....at least I hope...hahaha.....not too worried about it

yeah that is totally what they are doing....riding the B 2 extra times .....thanks 8

but it seems that in Miles first chorus they don't hit the 3/4.......am I losing my mind ?

I found this great live version

very interesting what they do to the form....I love it

it seems in this version under solos they play 6 measures of 3/4 and just 2 measures of 4/4 in the B .

I for the life of me cannot make sense of the form change and when the B hits under the solos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o40smfOyIso

Yeah, I totally hear what you mean!

Sounds like 6 measures of 3/4 and 2 measures of 4/4 during the B. That's exactly what I think is going on.

I do hear the 3/4 in Miles 1st chorus. It starts at 1:23. But as you say, it follows the altered B form you mention. It seems like the rest of the solos follow that as well.

Yeah, I totally hear what you mean!

Sounds like 6 measures of 3/4 and 2 measures of 4/4 during the B. That's exactly what I think is going on.

I do hear the 3/4 in Miles 1st chorus. It starts at 1:23. But as you say, it follows the altered B form you mention. It seems like the rest of the solos follow that as well.

can you figure out where the B comes in under the solos?

is there an extra A?

it is definitely not landing where it lands in the head

can you figure out where the B comes in under the solos?

is there an extra A?

it is definitely not landing where it lands in the head
I hear one extra A right before Miles' first chorus. I'm checking the rest of the tune now (this is fun)

Another extra A in the second chorus.

But I didn't hear an extra A during Wayne's first chorus.

Or maybe I'm fuzzing out now and missed it :)

I hear one extra A right before Miles' first chorus. I'm checking the rest of the tune now (this is fun)

it is a blast

I must be getting old because I love doing this stuff

...and this form under the solos is throwing me for a loop right now and I must concur it

:)

and I think that A before Miles is just the last A of the AABA form ....no?

I got it 8

it is exactly what we said it was

under the solos the B is tripled but with 6 measures of 3/4 and 2 measures of 4/4

so very interesting

so the head is AABA and under the solos it is AABBBA with the altered Bs

(wipes sweat off brow)

I would still be struggling to figure this out without your help brother ....thanks

they disguise that 3 very well at points

I got it 8

under the solos the B is tripled but with 6 measures of 3/4 and 2 measures of 4/4

so very interesting

Aha! Man, that is some beautiful sh**. It makes for great tension, doesn't it?

Aha! Man, that is some beautiful sh**. It makes for great tension, doesn't it?

I've just fallen in love with this tune all over again in a whole new light

that is some smoking ish right there ....my goodness

I got it 8

so very interesting

so the head is AABA and under the solos it is AABBBA with the altered Bs

(wipes sweat off brow)

I would still be struggling to figure this out without your help brother ....thanks

they disguise that 3 very well at points

Awesome. Lots of fun, thanks for putting this one out there.

Yeah, they disguise the 3 well indeed. The shift between 4 and 3 and back, effortlessly, is one of the things I love most about this band.

That live clip is SICK. God, I loved that group.

Just wanted to say that "jazz artists guild" link provided in this thread was amazing! What a group!

Hate to pull the subject away from this fascinating Miles discussion, but been grooving to a wonderful album I found a few years ago.

51ZMQqxgaTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If you'e unaware of the great Sonny Stitt, check him out. Legendary player.
Kenny Dennis is the drummer featured here.

Elvis

Stitt is amazing. Just ridiculous. Here's a fave of mine from his catalog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld92Fa9sn6g

I love those Haynes and Rollins clips. Wow. It just blows my mind what musical experiences those cats have had. I mean, recalling a session from 1948. That's like 20 years before I was f***ing BORN. And they were making historic music. And hanging around now, talking about it. And they're still sharp, remembering those dates. Especially Haynes. He sounds like a young man.

Stitt is amazing. Just ridiculous. Here's a fave of mine from his catalog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld92Fa9sn6g

I love those Haynes and Rollins clips. Wow. It just blows my mind what musical experiences those cats have had. I mean, recalling a session from 1948. That's like 20 years before I was f***ing BORN. And they were making historic music. And hanging around now, talking about it. And they're still sharp, remembering those dates. Especially Haynes. He sounds like a young man.

I wish there was still that whole buzzing scene like there was back then .....everyone swapping gigs and supporting each other

just doesn't happen much today

Back