PVC drums?

drummerboy_1365

I've been interested in building my own drum set for a long time; however, do to financial issues i doubt i will ever be able to buy shells and the tools needed to build my own custom kit. I'm talking about buying pre-factory drum shells, no holes drilled and no edges cut.

Not long ago while i was doing research into building my own kit, i had the interesting idea of buying PVC pipeing and using that to build my own kit.

Its an interesting idea but it poses several problems the greatest of which, in my opinion, being the issue of shells strength. PVC is a fairly durable item but i imagine that it wouldnt take long to break a drum kit made from it. Anyways, it was just a thought i had and i wanted to share it. If it sparks a thought or an idea feel free to share it!

The hardware is kind of the most expensive component, so I'm not sure how much you save by using PVC- if it's even available in the size and quantity you need- dealers who carry 20" pipe may not be eager to sell you just a 16" segment. Maybe you can find some at a salvage place, but it won't be pristine. 3/8" PVC should be strong enough that it won't collapse or flex, or have the hardware rip out when you tension a head.

Building a drum set is not expensive- it should not cost a lot more than buying an OK used set. Being able to afford it is usually a matter of priorities.

The hardware is kind of the most expensive component, so I'm not sure how much you save by using PVC- if it's even available in the size and quantity you need- dealers who carry 20" pipe may not be eager to sell you just a 16" segment. Maybe you can find some at a salvage place, but it won't be pristine. 3/8" PVC should be strong enough that it won't collapse or flex, or have the hardware rip out when you tension a head.

Building a drum set is not expensive- it should not cost a lot more than buying an OK used set. Being able to afford it is usually a matter of priorities.

I did manage to find a company that sells pipe in sizes large enough to accomodate proper shell sizes but they will only sell sections of pipe at leaset 10 feet long.
But i will clarify, i do not plan on trying to make a PVC kit.Im just gonna save up and build it one piece at a time. . . out of wood.

I can't remember the name,but there was a company making snares out of pvc,and they were quite affordable,got a really good review in MD.That being said,if I was going to build a kit,I would try to buy a Tama rockstar used,or something like it that had quality hardware and lugs and make it a donor,then buy the best shells you could afford,and do a nice sanding job and finish it with tung oil,(easy to work with and cheap)

Yeah, This is kinda late but this is what I've discovered about the PVC drums...

Find a local plumbing company. The little town I live in is putting in a sewer system- and has a pile of pvc pipe ends of various diameters and lengths.....

I just asked "Hey, can I scrounge from that pile"? Of course they said no, but once I explained what I was doing (building a crazy ass "marimba sort of thing")- and showed them a pix, I had pipe! I actually use old car tire inner tubes for the drum heads and hold them on with metal band clamps. I tried using drum sticks but they didnt have enough force- so I made some drum sticks using big ol bolts and threaded bars.

I'm not a drummer, a used to be musician (back in the day), and just kind of a guy who will try to make anything.....

Back