DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:23 AM

Default Beginner wants help avoiding drumming clich'es

I am a 43 year old guitarist who just bought a Roland td-9 (dw 9002). I want to know if there are any major drumming clich'es to avoid.

James
Old 12-16-2011, 07:07 AM

Default Re: Beginner wants help avoiding drumming clich'es

What exactly, do you mean by "clich'es"? Like, who's the guy that always hangs out with musicians?The Drummer!
Just kiddin'. I assume you mean the difference between e-kits and acoustic? If so, i have both. My only major caution is to understand that the e-kit is very "forgiving" in that with every strike of the pad you get a great sound everytime. Where as an acoustic kit is less forgiving in that way. You just have to be careful of technique in switching between the two. E-kits are great in that you have so many sounds to work with that could not be possible on a normal acoustic.
Welcome to the drumming world (away from the dark side) :) Hope you find it enjoyable!
Old 12-16-2011, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

Agree with fixxer re: e-kits.

As for cliches, it depends on the genre. If you're playing classic rock, smooth jazz, pop or blues then you'd better have your cliches handy :)

If you're playing progressive rock you might want to avoid overusing these devices - 16ths roll down the toms, fills or variations at the end of every 4 bars, playing the same beat every other song ...

Those devices might work in some spots but they're boring when overused. Ultimately, you can aim to be the drummer you wish you had when playing guitar in bands. When you play guitar what did drummers do that bugged you?
Old 12-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Silver Member

Diddo about the ekit making you sound good. One thing I'd suggest you do is to go under the pad settings on your drum module and switch from "beginner" which is the stock setting, to "dynamic". It may say advanced tho instead but it's the same thing. If you don't want the pads to be too dynamic then you can switch it to the "medium" setting which is in between.

Also I would turn up the gain atleast 2 or 3 clicks on each pad, maybe a bit more on the bass drum than the others as well. Acoustic drums are naturally loud when you hit them firmly and with the gain turned up you can keep some of that dynamic on the ekit. It will help your development for sure.

Another good idea is to play them with the drum module and headphones off completely to get a different perspective to how you sound. It kind of has the practice pad effect in that you can hear every little thing you do, good or bad.

Cheers,
Old 12-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

Hmm. I think you have to go through the cliches anyway. It's like any language - you can't say anything new until you know what's already been said, and prove that you can also say it just as well - otherwise no one would want to play with you because you don't play what they expect to hear. No gettin' around that.

I'm sure as a guitar player, there are more than a few cliches that students latch on to until they get it out of their systems. I think the same thing applies here. I would look at playing anything on a new instrument as all part of the musical growth, and be happy with whatever I could play. When I earnestly try to play guitar, I'm so happy to be able to play that I-IV-V progression, even though there are a million tunes written around that chord progression. Learn how to play Wipe Out correctly, then when you've mastered that, do it with your feet, or split it between one hand and a foot.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
(...) Ultimately, you can aim to be the drummer you wish you had when playing guitar in bands. When you play guitar what did drummers do that bugged you?
I agree with everything said. But Polly's above statement is really spot on! Chops are great but be careful ;-) I'm a guitarist myself and seems I've learned my lesson (it took a while). Recently a drummer listened to some of my orig. material and among what he liked he also mentioned 'restraint', haha. Made me very proud. I got into drumming 15 months ago. In fact, I've readjusted my perspective on songwriting and have somewhat reduced my focus on the guitar since then and I feel better now!

It's great to look at things (=music) from various perspectives. The guitarist doesn't have to be Eddie van Halen all the time (for some songs, Keith Scott might be a better choice, haha). But having experience with/playing one instrument and then taking up another is a great benefit to make the music more 'musical', functional, reasonable, mature, and ...enjoyable (to those with mature ears). Now that you're coming from another instrument you can trim down everything which is 'over the top' or just not beneficial for a given music context both referring to guitars _and_ drums. Also (I assume) you have a better understanding of harmonic relations as most drummers and it's easier to come up with music on your own which already incorporates dimensionality (parts for several instruments, or full song arrangement).

I think that one benefit of starting _not_ at, say, age 12 is that your music preferences have settled and you know what you're going for. This is the straightest path to learn the stuff you really need (want) on another instrument. No distracting experiences needed any more. Also helps to decide which guys to work with and which to avoid.

BTW, I think the TD-9 is great bang for the buck.

Last edited by Arky; 12-16-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

I also started late (37) and I consciously try to avoid making huge purchases along the lines of drums and cymbals to suit my "style" because I think it will take me another year or so before I have a clue of what I am really doing (1 year in so far). Not that I cant play a beat but every lesson and hour of practice is such an eye opening experience that I want to wait until that is a little more in the past before I go buy a new, expensive drum kit.

I think what I am saying is, if you can afford really nice stuff, dont just go buy it to have it because your taste and talend may/will likely grow in a different driection and I think that having gear that is waaaay nicer than your talent says the wrong thing about you as a musician. If you only play in your basement alone then spend away.