In need of another drum set

HatedRonnie

I am at the point where I am in need of more drums. I have a old pearl forum kit that lives in the practice spot that is hammer but does the job. I need another kit for home/shows (would look nicer), I know this is opinion but some help in picking a set would be huge.
If I can cap the price around $1000 that would be great and because my hardware is hammered along with my shells I would like new hardware too but don't need cymbals. I play simple punk rock and other than that I really dont know what I am looking for. Thanks a bunch.

Sage advice, you hear it a lot here... buy a good set used.

If you by a 'new' $1,000 set, guess what? In 4/6 months its going to be a used set, and not as good as a hi(er) end set you may have gotten for the same amount of money.

@MJD I was looking at the Imperialstar, the hardware that it comes with looked good and cant beat the price.

Cant beat Tama hardware. And their drums sound really good to boot. I dont play Tama kits anymore(though i have in the past and have nothing but good things to say about them) but i kept the hardware and still use that. It can take a beating that's for sure.

Sage advice, you hear it a lot here... buy a good set used.

If you by a 'new' $1,000 set, guess what? In 4/6 months its going to be a used set, and not as good as a hi(er) end set you may have gotten for the same amount of money.

This is also great advice.

Shop used. For $1000, you can find a good used kit. Here's a Saturn for $850. http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pc-Mapex-S...ultDomain_0&hash=item43b2bd9ccb#ht_500wt_1203 Took me all of about 3 minutes to find. Deals are out there.​

+1.Buy used.The deals are out there,but you have to put the time in to find them.Classifieds,CL,Ebay,various drum forums and guitar center used adds.There is NO shortage in used gear,it's just not as easy point,click,and sit back and wait.

Steve B

Mapex hardware is just as good as any other quality hardware manufacturer.

Ironically, I think this month's (or last's) of DRUM magazine has an in-depth article of 5 complete kits for under $1000, with some honorable mentions. Check it out. I believe they test drove a Sonor, Mapex, Pearl, DW's new Concept series, and a Yamaha.

I haven't seen a mapex yet that had hardware to see if it looked nice. The wraps that Mapex uses are awesome looking.

Their laquers Meridian are even better. You might also want to consider their new Meridian Black RAVEN. Super fat and heavy bottom end on theses maple/birch kits -- and listing under a grand. Mapex Hardware is solid -- I've been treating mine poorly for a few years now and it's holding up great.

http://www.musicradar.com/gallery/news/summer-namm-2012-mapex-unveils-the-raven-drum-line-552837/1

I would suggest Yamaha, but their lower line stuff isn't good and their higher end stuff is great -- but will put you in major debt.

Back