DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 04-19-2018, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Is Yamaha Stage Custom an upgrade over Sonor Safari?

Quote:
Originally Posted by incrementalg View Post
If you’re talking about spending $1,000, then I recommend this...

https://www.drumcenternh.com/gretsch...ano-black.html

Beautiful piano black laquer birch drums. I’ve seen these in person and they’ll knock your socks off soundwise.
Looks beautiful. But it’s literally $999, so out of my price range. For now....
Old 04-19-2018, 12:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jml View Post
Any info on what heads and mic you used on your Safari BD?
I believe at the time I was using an Evans EMAD.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post

I gigged with a 16" Sonor Safari bass drum for several years, and I got nothing but massive complements on the tone. A decently tuned 16" bass drum, a well placed decent BD mic, and a good PA can create Any bass drum tone. Any.
I used to have a Sonor Bop kit (18" kick, 12" rack, 14" floor, and steaming pile of dog excrement for a snare drum).

That set sounded awesome out front, but sounded like garbage sitting behind it. I could never get used to it, so I ended up trading it for a set of Pearl Sessions in bigger sizes. I felt more "at home" with the Pearl.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
I wonder how many people who diss 16" bass drums actually gigged with one with PA support.

I gigged with a 16" Sonor Safari bass drum for several years, and I got nothing but massive complements on the tone. A decently tuned 16" bass drum, a well placed decent BD mic, and a good PA can create Any bass drum tone. Any.
Agreed. I play more gigs with a Breakbeats kit than anything else lately, and the BD tone sounds great.
Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juGzheC2NLY
Old 04-20-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo_CR View Post
Agreed. I play more gigs with a Breakbeats kit than anything else lately, and the BD tone sounds great.
Check it out:
Nice job! That’s a bigger crowd than I would ever play in front of, and the 16” BD and whole kit seem to be holding their own. I guess the lesson is - a 16” BD can do what a larger BD can do, but depending on the venue, it may need to be miked.
Old Yesterday, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo_CR View Post
Check it out:
Your kit sounds great in that clip. I've heard plenty of small bass drums mic'd at larger venues, so I know how punchy they can sound. Yours had a thickness to the tone; care to share your head choice/ tuning? Also, these little kicks can obviously sound much larger mic'd through a big PA, but was wondering what your take is on the throne tone from a small kick in a large room and what your setup is to hear that kick better in a big room.
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jml View Post
Nice job! That’s a bigger crowd than I would ever play in front of, and the 16” BD and whole kit seem to be holding their own. I guess the lesson is - a 16” BD can do what a larger BD can do, but depending on the venue, it may need to be miked.
Thanks! Yes, I was impressed from the start the sound of with this little kit, and the 16" kick can hold its own if miked - it's needed with this rock band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gish View Post
Your kit sounds great in that clip. I've heard plenty of small bass drums mic'd at larger venues, so I know how punchy they can sound. Yours had a thickness to the tone; care to share your head choice/ tuning? Also, these little kicks can obviously sound much larger mic'd through a big PA, but was wondering what your take is on the throne tone from a small kick in a large room and what your setup is to hear that kick better in a big room.
Thanks! This is the stock batter head (which is a Remo UT PS3 - I have a 'real' PS3 waiting for when it wears out) and an Aquarian Regulator reso. I tried a few combinations but this was my favourite. Reso is JAW, batter is a little higher.
The kick sounds pretty good from the throne in my practice room, but when gigging with a PA the monitor does help to hear the kick a little better - but this is the case for my other kick too (22"), not just the 16".

Last edited by Bonzo_CR; Yesterday at 08:28 PM.