What's the most challenging groove, fill or lick you know?

Play a simple money beat or 4 on the floor for a whole song and dont add a single extra snare/kick hit or fill.

After that, 16th note triplets on the kick (keeping them even). Havent really worked into the flams so that is next.

I've been stuffing around with the Sol Niger Within Medley for a while, I can play it well enough but I'm only just starting to make it feel good.

Same with Meshuggahs "In life is death/In Death is death". The patterns in that song are so interesting and addictive. I'm nowhere near learning the whole thing but I get so much inspiration from it.

And Matt Halperns work with Periphery...

I could learn this stuff alot faster if I just tabbed it out but I don't really enjoy that kinda thing and at this stage I just take what I want from it.

I love djent stuff.

After that, 16th note triplets on the kick (keeping them even). Havent really worked into the flams so that is next.

.........16th note triplets with my hands have always come pretty easy, but always had a problem when I incorporate my feet (F - L - R - F - L - R)......just playing them is no issue whatsoever, it's when I try and play them in the context of a song.............no idea why, just always been hard for me

.........16th note triplets with my hands have always come pretty easy, but always had a problem when I incorporate my feet (F - L - R - F - L - R)......just playing them is no issue whatsoever, it's when I try and play them in the context of a song.............no idea why, just always been hard for me

Same here. Been working on improving them, but in a song context, when I'm playing along with something, they just fall apart, lol.

getting through the full 5 stroke roll rudiment (with above the line measures included) while playing a bossanova beat with the feet. sounds so good when you do it though.

Same here. Been working on improving them, but in a song context, when I'm playing along with something, they just fall apart, lol.

Keeping the quarter with the L foot on the hats really helps, but is of course another layer of independence.

I've been stuffing around with the Sol Niger Within Medley for a while, I can play it well enough but I'm only just starting to make it feel good.

Same with Meshuggahs "In life is death/In Death is death". The patterns in that song are so interesting and addictive. I'm nowhere near learning the whole thing but I get so much inspiration from it.

And Matt Halperns work with Periphery...

I could learn this stuff alot faster if I just tabbed it out but I don't really enjoy that kinda thing and at this stage I just take what I want from it.

I love djent stuff.

You. I like you. That Sol Niger Within Medley is super fun! Morgan Agren is a boss! Meshuggah and Periphery's stuff is fun to play too; I actually just saw Matt Halpern yesterday at a clinic!

Keeping the quarter with the L foot on the hats really helps, but is of course another layer of independence.
Right on, great advice. If you don't have the internal time, it'll be tough to play any fill creatively and openly.

Most challenging? Any groove or fill that isn't in my muscle memory or that I'm trying to play using the wrong technique. Really, once you have something in your muscle memory it's never difficult.

But I guess the most difficult groove that I know is from the song sound of muzak. Both the chorus and verse are pretty difficult, at least for me but I'm still practicing them and I probably will continue to do so for a long while.

Most challenging? Any groove or fill that isn't in my muscle memory or that I'm trying to play using the wrong technique. Really, once you have something in your muscle memory it's never difficult.

But I guess the most difficult groove that I know is from the song sound of muzak. Both the chorus and verse are pretty difficult, at least for me but I'm still practicing them and I probably will continue to do so for a long while.

"The Sound of Muzak" is really fun to play, it grooves super hard. Gavin Harrison definitely plays some difficult stuff. Check out "Slippin' Away:" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuSCrkLzQt8

A bar of improv.

I'm finding the chorus harder than the verse personally. The verse is sounding good for me at the moment. The chorus has those triplets on the ride which seem to clash with the bass drum pattern for me (I sometimes end up playing the bass drum pattern off)

It really is a good tune for building independence. I think it's one song to learn that is really worth the effort.

Personally, I was messing around the other week and tried to play this latin hybrid. Has anyone tried putting a cascara hand pattern over the samba foot pattern? I couldn't manage it myself. I don't know if its a done thing in latin music. The gaps in the cascara pattern made it challenging I felt.

Back