Stewart Copeland

I think there is a hint of double bass work in "Oysterhead", but I think double bass work would be out of place in the landscape of the Police.

But listen to "Voices in My Head" from Zenyatta Mondatta and you will hear fast bass work done gracefully with just one pedal.

He is an outstanding musician IMO. He gives the songs so much drive! He is both powerful and elaborate. Some drummers I really love listening to, and he's definitely one of them... to say he's "tasteful" would be a massive understatement.

Hey I'm new here and I was wondering has anyone ever seen Stewart do an open solo....I think hes an incredible groove master but I've never seen him solo...not that it takes away from his skill but he does do alot of hi-hat overdubbing in the studio and though it sounds good live its not the same....

I remember reading an article with him saying that he hated taking solos and had never done one in his career, but I here's something close. Im pretty sure this video has already been posted on here, but it's cool anyways. http://www.stewartcopeland.co.uk/videomonserratst.html
He does some slick stuff in the beginning, I really admire his approach.

I picked up the 1984 Police Synchronicity Live DVD last night and it was awesome. I have always loved his playing and new got to see them live, but I was amazed at how hard he hit his kit I loved it. I love watching drummers lay into their kits but do it in a way were they are composed and playing great stuff. I love his grooves and the sound of his kit!

Yeah, that's an awesome dvd, I love when they play the theme from "Bonanza".

CheeseCake said:
I remember reading an article with him saying that he hated taking solos and had never done one in his career, but I here's something close. Im pretty sure this video has already been posted on here, but it's cool anyways. http://www.stewartcopeland.co.uk/videomonserratst.html
He does some slick stuff in the beginning, I really admire his approach.

Thanks man....
I love his power and speed but I don't think he's much of a solo player...

Copeland boggles my mind with all of his shuffling and rim clicks. I havent really heard any amazing bass drum work but his hands compensate.

does he perform drums on a regular basis. i know that the police have broken up and that he composes soundtracks for movies, videogames, etc. I think it would be really cool to see him play. does anybody know if will ever perform publically anytime soon. that would be cool if he did.
PS. when i mean on a regular basis, i mean does he perform publicly on a regular basis (in front of an audience) i'm pretty sure he practices his ass off in privacy.

Love this guy, fantastic drummer... first time i heard the police i was hooked. bring on the night i think it was. live track.. i love the deepth of HIS octobans live.. why is that his octobans are so deep live, on the new live dvd, and on driven to tears live from france, compared to others octobans?

Can anyone tell me what the snare pattern is that Stuart plays at the beginning of No Time This Time? Too fast for Igor to pick out.

Igor

hi,by overall stewart still the main influence.actually the police sound always new,the first thing i've loved is his flams with this high tuned snare and his ride sound,very penetrating swing and infinitly musical.this is rare for me to heard swing on the ride in rock like we get in jazz.what's interesting is the space between the notes,the place according to each note especially on the bass drum;always though the swing.he wrote an half of reggatta de blanc and still the best album that is the much sold.what make something to art is how it can be universal,it can get everyone and through the years.i think that what he has done.

Anybody know how his MD fest 06 performance went??
Hope it comes out on DVD...

Love this guy, fantastic drummer... first time i heard the police i was hooked. bring on the night i think it was. live track.. i love the deepth of HIS octobans live.. why is that his octobans are so deep live, on the new live dvd, and on driven to tears live from france, compared to others octobans?

It may be backline gear...rented from a music store or he may have had more than one set of octabans. One of my friends was a Tama endorsee and he said that it was incredible the amount of gear they used to give him. This is mostly due to the rigors of the road. If you have a snare stand break, you can't really down to the music store at 10:00 pm and get another one while in the middle of a concert.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw

For those in the UK, Stewart is currently judging a singing reality TV thing..called 'Just the 2 of us' or something. It's where b-list celebs sing in pairs blahblahblah. I was disappointed he went on the show..its just cheesey crap...they must be paying him a bundle.

**edit
QUOTE]
Man that is how I felt when Jason Newstead did the whole Rock Star show. I can not look at him the same....at least he got some cred back by leaving the band before the tour. At least Stewart is judging and not playing the drums for a crap ass tv show band. Copeland still rules!!!

Back