My Son's First "Gig"

ChappyEight

My son is 8 yrs old and started lessons about 16 months ago. We randomly went to his instructor's band's performance and they called him up on stage to play Superstitious by Stevie Wonder.

It's pretty basic and there are some timing issues in there, but this was his first time ever playing with a band and, being impromptu, he was pretty nervous. Oh, and he normally plays on a Ludwig, Jr. kit with 13" sticks. He'd never played on a full size kit with full size sticks.

Really cool of Mike (his instructor) and Russ (the band leader) to let him do this.

Anyway, proud papa moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQp4s9wBCHY

- Chappy

I should take some lessons from your son!! :)

He's really got the crash cymbal down doesn't he?

Keep up the good work, Chappy!

Haha! Yes, he loves that fill. As someone who hasn't played an instrument since I was in 8th grade (36 yrs old now), it's been neat to see the boy be so interested in music.

How cool is that?! No fear...just play that funky music white boy!

Major props! It got me smiling this morning, thanks.

Fun times! Something he will probably remember for the rest of his life. I've done that with some of my students before. You know they won't play it perfectly, but usually the crowd doesn't care because it is a kid. I have to say, he did a lot better job than I've seen some gigging drummers do.

Your son did a great job! I'm amazed, that was his first time with a band on a full kit in front of people, and he was cool as ice! Hopefully this is an important moment in his life that fosters a lifetime love of music.

That is super fun. Love seeing kids dig into the instrument, and when called upon, deliver. Doesn’t get any better than that.

GREAT stuff!... I love to see kids take up music!
Yeah, it's been neat to see him get passionate about something.

How cool is that?! No fear...just play that funky music white boy!

Major props! It got me smiling this morning, thanks.
haha! Yeah man, he loves that old rock.

Fun times! Something he will probably remember for the rest of his life. I've done that with some of my students before. You know they won't play it perfectly, but usually the crowd doesn't care because it is a kid. I have to say, he did a lot better job than I've seen some gigging drummers do.
Very kind of you to say. I have no delusions of him being an all-star (you know, little league Dad of drumming) but I was definitely proud of the boy.

Your son did a great job! I'm amazed, that was his first time with a band on a full kit in front of people, and he was cool as ice! Hopefully this is an important moment in his life that fosters a lifetime love of music.
He was absolutely BEAMING when he came off stage. If he wasn't hooked already, that did it for him. One of the things that has surprised his mother and I is exactly what you said, he has no fear behind the kit in front of people.

This was him last spring at his 2nd grade talent show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpPjO7cusSA

Again, some minor flubs, but his classmates loved it and he thought he was a legit rockstar, lol.

That is super fun. Love seeing kids dig into the instrument, and when called upon, deliver. Doesn’t get any better than that.
Agree!

That's a lifetime memory right there. AWESOME!!
Exactly right, he still hasn't stopped talking about it and it was a month ago.
------------------------------

Really appreciate all the kind comments. I'll shoot you straight, I posted because I was pretty proud of the guy. So, your nice comments are appreciated.

Now we're trying to transition him into a true percussionist. He's still working on "money beats" and rock grooves but we just got in touch with the local junior high instructor and he's going to start working with him on music reading, rhythmic studies, pitch readings, etc. Then, we'll let him still do stuff like this for fun. He was working on trying to learn Highway to Hell last night.

Anyway, more info than ya'll care to know but, sincerely, thanks for the kind words. I'm certain as he grows I'll have more questions!

- Chappy

Back