SJC Maple/Acrylic hybrid drums

dtrushr30dw

Hey guys, I'm about to order one of these SJC Maple/Acrylic/Maple kits. Before I place an order, I have to ask if any of you have played one of these kits? I've only heard them in videos, on YouTube. I like the concept of the hybrid shell because you get the projection and cut of acrylic with the warmth/sensitivity of maple. What are your thoughts on this? I really could use some input before I submit the order.
Here are the specs so far:
8x10 - Standard hanging
9x12 - Standard hanging
16x16 - Brackets on shell
18x22
Hybrid shells
Maple - 10ply / 1/4” thick acrylic / Maple - 10ply
Black satin stain
Clear acrylic
1.5” Tube lugs - Inline
2.3mm hoops on toms
Revo hoops on kick - Black satin stain
Chrome hardware
SJC Chrome badges
Remo heads

6.5x14
Brass shell w/ Center bead
Black Chrome finish
Single tube lugs - Inline
2.3mm hoops
Trick throw off
x1 grommet vent
Chrome hardware
SJC Chrome badge
Remo heads

I think they are the coolest looking drums. Broken glass with coke bottle green acrylic stripes is a dream kit. Now having said that, I think they sound pretty mediocre, especially considering the price. Acrylic kits are all about looks and I've never thought they sound anywhere near as cool as they appear. Now you take a six,eight, or ten inch slice of it and stick it right in the middle of Keller maple shells. Absolute tone killer. But it will look fantastic.

I think they are the coolest looking drums. Broken glass with coke bottle green acrylic stripes is a dream kit. Now having said that, I think they sound pretty mediocre, especially considering the price. Acrylic kits are all about looks and I've never thought they sound anywhere near as cool as they appear. Now you take a six,eight, or ten inch slice of it and stick it right in the middle of Keller maple shells. Absolute tone killer. But it will look fantastic.

You're response scared me there for a second hahaha. But I'm really glad that you also think it will sound incredible. I've been blown away by the few kits I've heard on YT. Thanks for your input. I'll be ordering within the next 3 weeks... Anymore recommendations/warnings/reassurances? I'm pretty much set on the exact kit I mentioned in the original post.

Absolute tone killer.

They meant a tone killer in a bad way, not "killer tone". I agree with SunDog's initial assessment- 10-ply maple shells bisected with a chunk of acrylics is not something I'd categorize as "warm" or "sensitive". Could you point us to a video perhaps?

If you're looking for something like that kit in those sizes, I'd suggest just picking up a Mapex Saturn IV or a Starclassic Performer B/B- both come in near or exactly those sizes and, for my money, are the better kits.

Why exactly do you want to go with SJC for this kit? The sizes aren't anything you couldn't get from a major company, the performance probably isn't either. Now, the snare, I can understand- unique finish, maybe not so unique of a size but at least it will be a versatile & good-sounding snare. Again, though... maybe not the kit.

They meant a tone killer in a bad way, not "killer tone". I agree with SunDog's initial assessment- 10-ply maple shells bisected with a chunk of acrylics is not something I'd categorize as "warm" or "sensitive". Could you point us to a video perhaps?

If you're looking for something like that kit in those sizes, I'd suggest just picking up a Mapex Saturn IV or a Starclassic Performer B/B- both come in near or exactly those sizes and, for my money, are the better kits.

Why exactly do you want to go with SJC for this kit? The sizes aren't anything you couldn't get from a major company, the performance probably isn't either. Now, the snare, I can understand- unique finish, maybe not so unique of a size but at least it will be a versatile & good-sounding snare. Again, though... maybe not the kit.

OOPS I misread that.. that scares me a bit. I already have a DW maple kit and a PDP maple kit so this one is just for looks and fun more than anything. I'm going with SJC because I got a 35%-off endorsement. Here's the video I was referencing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybZdwMDZySg

Just be mindfull of the FACT,that the "endorcment deal".you're getting,really isn't an endorcment deal at all.They're just giving you a "discount",off of an already inflated price,which amounts to no discount at all.SJC,is a very small company,and like other small drum and cymbal companies,and offers "endorcment " deals,to ANYBODY,who'll take them....ANYBODY.

Small companies,simply can't afford to give away heavily discounted or free gear.If they did,they'd be out of business in no time flat.

I don't mean to piss on your campfire here,but that's the cold,honest truth,and somebody has to say it.I'm sure you're a nice guy,and maybe a good drummer,but real endorcment deals,are on graded system,according to just how noticable a drummers is,and his fan following.That sells drums for the company,not giving discounts to high school students,who just ask for it.....nothing personal ,just the truth.

Sorry man ,but that's just the way it is. I guess I'm kind of tired of these companies taking advantage of younger players,who don't have a lot of real world experience,and telling them,they're an "endorced artist" when all they're doing is using this tactic as a business model,to get your money.Nothing negative here......just TRUTH.

In the end it's your money,and do what you want with it.I'm just letting you know what the REAL deal is.Don't take my word for it.There's a thread here written bu our own Bermuda ,who's a legit pro drummer and an artist what has legit endorcment deals with Ludwig and Sabian,to name a few.The thread WILL open up your eyes.Read it before buying those drums.

Steve B

I not trying to scare you off of them. Just trying to inform. They will sound good, definitely pro. Just don't get caught by the hype around these drums. They don't make anything. The acrylic is RCI, the maple ply shells are Keller, the solid shells are Vaughncraft. These are all good components but not better than others. And this idea of hybrid shells being the "best of both worlds" is just hype. Realistically you lose some of the good things that maple does and don't gain any good from the acrylic (if their is such a thing). They look stunning, and if your live shows use a mics on everything and a lot of production then they'll sound fine. Just know what your really getting for your $3200-$3500 (after discount).

Thanks guys for getting back to me. I'm already very aware of how these endorsements... "endorsements" work... I wanted an SJC kit and I just saw the endorsement as a way to save a little cash, not a lot, but some. I've reconsidered, and now I'm just going to just get the 6.5x14 brass snare. I know that it'll sound great and I'll still save some money with my "endorsement" on that.
With regard to the tone of the acrylic/maple/acrylic.. I was caught up in the hype and the looks, to be honest. At the end of the day, I want a kit that sounds good, more than anything. So thank you for guiding me in the right direction on this. You guys helped a lot! I'll place the order on the snare and stick with that.
-Jackson

I just watched a few of your youtube videos, and I have to say that DW kit is stunning! I can't see that SJC hybrid kit sounding anywhere near as good; if I were you I'd save that amount of money for something else.

-Jonathan

Thanks guys for getting back to me. I'm already very aware of how these endorsements... "endorsements" work... I wanted an SJC kit and I just saw the endorsement as a way to save a little cash, not a lot, but some. I've reconsidered, and now I'm just going to just get the 6.5x14 brass snare. I know that it'll sound great and I'll still save some money with my "endorsement" on that.
With regard to the tone of the acrylic/maple/acrylic.. I was caught up in the hype and the looks, to be honest. At the end of the day, I want a kit that sounds good, more than anything. So thank you for guiding me in the right direction on this. You guys helped a lot! I'll place the order on the snare and stick with that.
-Jackson

Jackson...you're not saving any money.Did you read my post?.They purposely inflate the price of the drums,that is,add on to the price,so when they give you that "endorcment" discount,theyre right back to where they usually sell for to start with to start with,endorcment or not.

In other words,say I have something ,that I want to sell you,and I want 90 bucks for it.So I say to you, ....the item,is 100 bucks,but i'll give you a "special 10% discount" and say..Jackson uses my stuff,on a website.So,I got you to buy my stuff,and I got the price I actually wanted for it.......,understand?

That's what's going on here.You're NOT saving any money at all.They're selling the drums to you,for exactly what they want for them..There is no endorcment discount.They're telling you what you want to hear.The "endorcment" deal is empty.Just words used to sell drums to younger players,who thing endorcment discounts are real.In your case my young friend....they're NOT.Just smoke and mirrors.

Steve B

Jackson...you're not saving any money.Did you read my post?.They purposely inflate the price of the drums,that is,add on to the price,so when they give you that "endorcment" discount,theyre right back to where they usually sell for to start with to start with,endorcment or not.

In other words,say I have something ,that I want to sell you,and I want 90 bucks for it.So I say to you, ....the item,is 100 bucks,but i'll give you a "special 10% discount" and say..Jackson uses my stuff,on a website.So,I got you to buy my stuff,and I got the price I actually wanted for it.......,understand?

That's what's going on here.You're NOT saving any money at all.They're selling the drums to you,for exactly what they want for them..There is no endorcment discount.They're telling you what you want to hear.The "endorcment" deal is empty.Just words used to sell drums to younger players,who thing endorcment discounts are real.In your case my young friend....they're NOT.Just smoke and mirrors.

Steve B

I get what you're saying, but I'm getting a semi legit deal.. I've done the research and I CAN tell you that they are giving me a bit of a deal. Maybe nothing huge, and yes they are still profiting, but I am getting something... For example: I looked up how much it would be to buy one of their 5 piece kits from a dealer.. The dealer told be $4,000 (With shipping) SJC was going to send me the exact same kit for $3150. SO I was getting a bit of a deal, I accept that a lot of it is marketing and gimmicks to get clueless buyers, I've done the research and I know that I'm not getting 100% screwed over, so I'll take my chances. Anyways, I'm only going to be buying the snare, so if I get a bit screwed on the price, so what? At least I'm still getting a quality drum and my name on a website, as well as some promo help -- an example of that would be them sharing one of my drum covers/bands on their Twitter or Facebook. George at SJC said he can share my videos on Facebook if I'd like. SO, I'm not going to bash the company, they have to make money somehow. I know for a fact that with my deal, I'm not getting completely screwed, so I'm going to still get this snare, but most likely nothing else.

Back