digital drum tuner...

ecpietscheck

are there any available?
im really looking forward into numerical-precission tuning, which in this case will do me better since im always seeking towards perfection
if there are, would you please send me some specs, name, etc...?
thankyou guys!

I use the Cleartune app on my iPhone, which is great. Deathmetalconga does have a good point, though. An out-of-tune head will throw off so many different tones that a tuner can have trouble figuring out which note to display. You'll have to experiment with where/how close you hold the tuner, and you need to be able to tune the drum somewhat by ear. But it's great for fine tuning, tuning to specific pitches, comparing pitches of different tuned drums, and the like.

I have heard from many sources that e-tuners were useless for drums.
I never even gave them a thought because of that.
Do they work with drums? Is there a nack to making an e-tuner work with drums.
The vid that Les Ismore posted left me with many more questions than answers.
The resotune is $350! I have bought kits for much less than that!

Doesn't anyone read modern drummer???
http://www.drumtuna.com/pages/the-flip.php
Reviewed in the last issue of modern drummer. It's a digital tuner specifically for drums, and I will definitely be picking one up.
It's $70 I think, but considering the regular gauge tuners are about $60, it's definitely worth the money.

Doesn't anyone read modern drummer???
http://www.drumtuna.com/pages/the-flip.php
Reviewed in the last issue of modern drummer. It's a digital tuner specifically for drums, and I will definitely be picking one up.
It's $70 I think, but considering the regular gauge tuners are about $60, it's definitely worth the money.

It looks like a drumdial w/ a digital readout.
On a standard drumdial, a 2 ply head tuned to 75 will not sing the same note as a 1 ply head tuned to 75. I wonder how this device handles that fact. Do you input the head thickness?

It looks like a drumdial w/ a digital readout.
On a standard drumdial, a 2 ply head tuned to 75 will not sing the same note as a 1 ply head tuned to 75. I wonder how this device handles that fact. Do you input the head thickness?
Well no, but you will never be playing a half one ply half two ply head, so that doesn't really matter.

The purpose of this product is to get all the rods tuned the same. And although you can to tune it to a specific note, that is not it's main purpose, and a e-tuner may be able to give more a specific reading for that purpose.

I assumed that the readout was a note value not a tension reading. It's a drum dial, nothing new, except for the digital read out, right?

I assumed that the readout was a note value not a tension reading. It's a drum dial, nothing new, except for the digital read out, right?
Yes. And I now realize that the thread creator was aiming to get a specific note from a drum tuner, in which case that product wouldn't be very useful.

Silly me!

Bob, I use a tuner (Cleartune on my iPhone) for tuning my drums. It helps me immensely with fine tuning the drums, consistently tuning and retuning my drums, and checking tuning intervals between heads or drums. I can precisely tune to whatever pitch I wish, as well as retune back to that exact tuning a day or a month later.

There is a huge knack to using the tuner, though. When a drum is way out of tune, the tuner just doesn't give a useful reading, as it can't sort out all the tones and overtones. I've found I get the best luck making sure that all the oposite pairs of lugs are tuned to each other. By that, I mean that a given lug is aproximately in tune with the lug directly across the head. That minimizes the wierd overtones and let's the tuner get a reading.

You also need to experiment with where you strike the head (closer or farther from the rim), how hard you strike, where you hold the tuner (usually right above the head, but sometimes it works better holding the tuner close to a lug, below the rim), and how close you hold the tuner to the drum.

I'm sure some people will say something like, if you've already mostly tuned the drum by hand, why not just finish by hand. Personally, I have a lousy ear for pitch, so getting whatever help I can at any step in the process makes my life easier.

So a tuner doesn't perform miracles, and won't tune a drum for you. But it can be a valuable tool and help with the process.

yes!
that is exactlly what i was looking for: a drum dial with digital reader output
thankyou so much daredrummer! i really, really appreciate it!!!!!!

yes!
that is exactlly what i was looking for: a drum dial with digital reader output
thankyou so much daredrummer! i really, really appreciate it!!!!!!
Oh I thought you were looking for an actually tuner, that will give you a note (If that's the case then this tuner will NOT do that.)
But if you're just looking for the digital output than this is what ya need!
Glad I could help :)

Bob, I use a tuner (Cleartune on my iPhone) for tuning my drums. It helps me immensely with fine tuning the drums, consistently tuning and retuning my drums, and checking tuning intervals between heads or drums. I can precisely tune to whatever pitch I wish, as well as retune back to that exact tuning a day or a month later.

There is a huge knack to using the tuner, though. When a drum is way out of tune, the tuner just doesn't give a useful reading, as it can't sort out all the tones and overtones. I've found I get the best luck making sure that all the oposite pairs of lugs are tuned to each other. By that, I mean that a given lug is aproximately in tune with the lug directly across the head. That minimizes the wierd overtones and let's the tuner get a reading.

You also need to experiment with where you strike the head (closer or farther from the rim), how hard you strike, where you hold the tuner (usually right above the head, but sometimes it works better holding the tuner close to a lug, below the rim), and how close you hold the tuner to the drum.

I'm sure some people will say something like, if you've already mostly tuned the drum by hand, why not just finish by hand. Personally, I have a lousy ear for pitch, so getting whatever help I can at any step in the process makes my life easier.

So a tuner doesn't perform miracles, and won't tune a drum for you. But it can be a valuable tool and help with the process.
Thank you Soupy, You confirmed what I thought regarding e-tuners and drums. I will experiment with an e-tuner and my drums.

Thank you Soupy, You confirmed what I thought regarding e-tuners and drums. I will experiment with an e-tuner and my drums.

Glad to help. I'd suggest starting with a drum that you already have tuned and see what it tells you about it.

Back