Mapex Falcon problem

arcitemetal

Hi everyone,

Just registered on this forum as I'm having a major problem with my new Mapex Falcons. "Upgraded" to them after using Iron Cobras for years with only a few minor problems. Love the Cobras to bits but wanted to improve my technique a bit and just try something new.

Guy from Devildriver endorses these Falcons and every review I have read (and I've read em all!) have been positive so I'm assuming I've just got a duff set of pedals or I'm doing something wrong.

There is a nut underneath the cam that you use to adjust the angle the cam/footboard and the actual head on it is so damn small that a drum key struggles to get any grip on it so it is easy to loosen up to adjust but really hard and irritating to tighten up. Cobras used an alan key to tighten so they never came loose.

Now when I'm playing (after spending a good 5 - 10 mins furiously turning these nuts but the drum key gets very little grip on them due to the head being smaller than the regular drum nut) they loosen up and the footboard drops to the lowest angle possible and obviously effects my playing and means the footboard keeps smashing off the metalwork on the bottom of the pedals...I've noticed on the screws that are supposed to keep the cam tight to the pedal have 2 washers on them. One which looks like it is split (there are several of these on the pedal) and another normal one. Maybe this is causing it? Any thoughts? I'm taking them back to the shop on Saturday anyway, just wondering if anyone else has this issue.

When they don't loosen up they're perfect, can achieve some really high speeds with them and have a good feel. So annoying though.

Cheers

Me thinks you are doing something wrong. I have two singles. Let me help you. What are you trying to do. If you want to raise and lower the footboard, you loosen the one hex screw on the cam that faces the footboard. If you want to rotate the beater angle you loosen the last hex bolt I just mentioned, we will call it the cam bolt, and the hex bolt on the outside of the pedal on the cam that holds the spring. Lets call that the spring cam bolt. Then you just rotate the beater, and shaft as a complete unit. It sounds like you tried to loosen the allen bolt, at the bottom of the beater assembly. You have to tighten that up with the supplied allen key, if you did indeed loosen this. That should be left alone.

Thanks for your help! I don't think I've explained myself very well.

I am trying to raise the angle of the footboard which in turn also adjusts the angle of the cam. I am only loosening the cam bolt. The problem I am having is I can't get them to tighten up properly, it keeps on coming loose whilst playing and the angle of the footboard lowers itself whilst playing because it isn't tight enough.

The drum key isn't getting enough grip on the cam bolt to tighten it because the cam bolt head is smaller in height compared to the bolt heads on the rest of the pedal. Everything else is tightened up just fine!

Don't go anywhere. I am taking a pic of my bolts.

OK. Here are a couple of pics. All my hex bolts are exactly the same. I could put a torque wrench on these babies! :)
IMG_3327.jpg
IMG_3328.jpg

I will bet you the head on your drum key is too large. Are you using the Mapex one that came with the pedal?

Thanks for the pics man, this is pretty weird! The bolt heads on my cam are a lot shorter on mine so the drum key doesn't fully slot onto them...will take some pics when I get in later and upload them. Maybe I've been given a duff pair of bolts?!

Are there any washers on your bolts? I have one normal circle washer and another one on top of that which looks like it's split?!

And yes I am using the key that came with the pedal!

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics man, this is pretty weird! The bolt heads on my cam are a lot shorter on mine so the drum key doesn't fully slot onto them...will take some pics when I get in later and upload them. Maybe I've been given a duff pair of bolts?!

Are there any washers on your bolts? I have one normal circle washer and another one on top of that which looks like it's split?!

Yes there is a smooth washer for rotation when tightening, and a split lock washer, to keep it put. Are you using the supplied key. There is no way that my pedal cam will rotate after I tighten that hex bolt. Just make sure that your key will go inside the recessed hole for the bolt. If not, then the bolt continues to disappear but you loose the head for tightening purposes.

Some drum keys have thicker shoulders on the tightening head. I would almost put money on the fact that you are using a key that does not fit into this recessed area, which is why you are running out of hex bolt head to grab.

Well I'm using the supplied key that came with the pedal and it tightens every other bolt on the pedal and the rest of my kit just fine...I'll try using some other keys later and if still no joy then I'll take it back. It's annoying because there are some nasty dents on the base of my pedal now where the bottom on the pedal has hit it when it has come loose. Typical!

Sticks has already explained the 'split' washers. But I know what your talking about with the smaller nut, this must be on the double pedal only! but I don't find it to be an issue, use the drum key that comes with the pedals, and push the beater forward so that the nut is more exposed, make sure its slotted on properly and it should be fine! mine don't budge at all, but I did find it weird that they are smaller!

Hope this helps!

TM

Well I'm using the supplied key that came with the pedal and it tightens every other bolt on the pedal and the rest of my kit just fine...I'll try using some other keys later and if still no joy then I'll take it back. It's annoying because there are some nasty dents on the base of my pedal now where the bottom on the pedal has hit it when it has come loose. Typical!
When you get home, take a good look and compare it to my pics. If it differs, put some pics up of yours. We will work this out. I am always around. :) The worst it could be is just putting in the proper hex bolt. Very easy fix.

Sticks has already explained the 'split' washers. But I know what your talking about with the smaller nut, this must be on the double pedal only! but I don't find it to be an issue, use the drum key that comes with the pedals, and push the beater forward so that the nut is more exposed, make sure its slotted on properly and it should be fine! mine don't budge at all, but I did find it weird that they are smaller!

Hope this helps!

TM
Sorry! Did not realize you were talking about Double pedals. You never said. :) Thanks Table for jumping in. :)

Haha yeah my bad, it's the double pedal version. Really weird that they are smaller bolts, I do like to slam on my pedals when playing the slower stuff but they shouldn't loosen up like they do. Wish I had room for two kick drums!

TM, do you find you get a good grip on the bolt with the key when turning? Mine just seems to slip around, it probably is the key.

If the bolt is on the right angle, I do get a good grip yes. I'd say try a different key or make sure you havent rounded it off! and if you have you might have to find a spare or steal one from an old pedal :p

I hope you manage to sort it, they are really great pedals :)

TM

Hey Table. Can you take a pic of the cam and bolt for me. I would love to see it up close, so I can see why he is having trouble. Tried to find a good pic on line, but couldn't.

This whole thread really puzzled me, I'm intrigued and curious of the outcome as I didn't have a single problem with the falcon, and I tried every possible options, and more than once...

Hey Table. Can you take a pic of the cam and bolt for me. I would love to see it up close, so I can see why he is having trouble. Tried to find a good pic on line, but couldn't.

I'm not around my kit at the moment, and won't be until saturday (Sad Face)

But I do have a picture where you can make it out:

kjbbbb.jpg

1- shows the normal size nut at the top and 2- shows the smaller size nut, it literally is half the length of the top nut, and the base is slightly rounded so its hard to get the key on unless you move it so its facing at 90 degrees to the floor. If that makes any sense at all!

TM

I'm not around my kit at the moment, and won't be until saturday (Sad Face)

But I do have a picture where you can make it out:

kjbbbb.jpg

1- shows the normal size nut at the top and 2- shows the smaller size nut, it literally is half the length of the top nut, and the base is slightly rounded so its hard to get the key on unless you move it so its facing at 90 degrees to the floor. If that makes any sense at all!

TM
Did you draw that picture! LOL :)
Have you upgraded your phone lately? :)
I kind of get the idea. Is the head of Bolt 1, the same size as bolt 2, just recessed?

Did you draw that picture! LOL :)
Have you upgraded your phone lately? :)
I kind of get the idea. Is the head of Bolt 1, the same size as bolt 2, just recessed?

Haha! Yeah yeah... It's an iPhone 4 and I had to zoom right in and cut that segment out so it wasn't massive, and! I had my fisheye lens on aswell! :p

No the top of the bolt is half the length, it's not recessed, but you know how on your pedals the top bolt isn't square to the lip? Instead of being an L shape its rounded? The smaller one is the same so you can't push the key all the way down to the base it gets stuck on the rounded part

TM

Back