Some unfortunate things as a Teenager... READ!

Since I have no computer to post at home, I use the computers in the school library after my homework (which I do).
I think a big reason for all my stuff being taken away is because my dad thinks I'm on drugs. Lots of my friends are, and it's quite popular in my area of Florida. I have honestly never done anything of this sort, but am still getting my room searched every few days.

I never did in high school, but my mom thought I did...I guess you really do just need to try to sit down and have a serious talk with him about who you are and who you want to be.

Maybe he just doesn't understand you very well, and he might perceive you as a kid who is a druggie wannabe musician that doesn't want to do anything with his life, and you need to make it clear in an assertive way without being aggressive. He's your dad, so he's got to want the best for you in the long run.

I wouldn't know, I never knew my dad.

I never did in high school, but my mom thought I did...I guess you really do just need to try to sit down and have a serious talk with him about who you are and who you want to be.

Maybe he just doesn't understand you very well, and he might perceive you as a kid who is a druggie wannabe musician that doesn't want to do anything with his life, and you need to make it clear in an assertive way without being aggressive. He's your dad, so he's got to want the best for you in the long run.

I wouldn't know, I never knew my dad.

I'll discuss this with him after dinner tomorrow night. I'll let you guys and gals know how it goes..

Dang...I thought this thread had finally died.

dawn_of_the_dead.jpg

This whole thread reminds me of my stepdad. Luckily, I didn't have a drum kit back in those days (I'm 37 now) but he seemed to love to take things away from me just to exercise his authority.

He would routinely take away my car (that I paid for) for weeks at a time for ridiculous reasons such as he thought I was sighing at him. He once accused me of putting a nearly empty bottle of steak sauce back into the refrigerator (I still don't know who did that) and got grounded for a month.

Also, my curfew throughout high school was 9:00; even on weekends.

There are many, many other issues that I won't discuss here. Suffice it to say, I'm glad he is no longer with us.

So hang in there, man. This will all be over before you know it.

This whole thread reminds me of my stepdad. Luckily, I didn't have a drum kit back in those days (I'm 37 now) but he seemed to love to take things away from me just to exercise his authority.

He would routinely take away my car (that I paid for) for weeks at a time for ridiculous reasons such as he thought I was sighing at him. He once accused me of putting a nearly empty bottle of steak sauce back into the refrigerator (I still don't know who did that) and got grounded for a month.

Also, my curfew throughout high school was 9:00; even on weekends.

There are many, many other issues that I won't discuss here. Suffice it to say, I'm glad he is no longer with us.

So hang in there, man. This will all be over before you know it.

Your mom allowed the stepdad to mete out punishment like that??

One thing that makes me very angry is divorced parents who chose their new partner over their own kids...

Yeah, I'm thinking it happens more often than I'd like to have thought when it was happening. Sad, but I feel like it'll make me a better parent.

That this young man may be being treated poorly is possible. I ran away at 8 for a bloody good reason. I was worried about my survival. Parents and certainly step parents can be monsters.

As far as I can see there are two obvious choices. 1, visit the authorities. But this entails its own problems. 2, run away.

I ran to the bush. But I had already learned how to hunt and fish. I was lucky. I also had a pristine country to escape within. And a slack government that never cared to chase me. This was 1972 Australia after all.

Were I to run away today I would call cattle stations and search out jackaroo positions where a live in position was offered. There must be something like this in the US.

That this young man may be being treated poorly is possible. I ran away at 8 for a bloody good reason. I was worried about my survival. Parents and certainly step parents can be monsters.

As far as I can see there are two obvious choices. 1, visit the authorities. But this entails its own problems. 2, run away.

I ran to the bush. But I had already learned how to hunt and fish. I was lucky. I also had a pristine country to escape within. And a slack government that never cared to chase me. This was 1972 Australia after all.

Were I to run away today I would call cattle stations and search out jackaroo positions where a live in position was offered. There must be something like this in the US.

I'm sorry for what you had to go thru but I can't see telling any kid to run away as a good idea. If there really is a problem, he needs to reach out to someone...police, social services, guidance counselor or teacher at school, friends parents, someone. I worked as a School Resource Officer in the schools for 4 years and I know every kid who came to me with a problem was taken seriously. There was more than once I called social services to do a check and make sure the child was safe so I know there are people out there willing to help.

Running away, as you most certainly know, can cause horrible problems within itself. I surely hope he finds any help he needs and someone who can guide him in the right direction.

In the case of over-protective parents that would be extreme, in the case of purely malicious parents, well, that is a different story.

Family should care for you, they don't, there was a baby found still alive half buried in a flower bed with its head in a plastic bag and umbilical cord still attached recently. Graphic I know, for that I'm sorry, but not all parents are saints.

In this particular case, I'd like to hear an angle other then Joey's before offering real advice, I don't doubt that he has serious issues, but kids exaggerate and kids tell their version of events which is often quite different from actual events, even if there is some truth to it.

In this particular case, I'd like to hear an angle other then Joey's before offering real advice, I don't doubt that he has serious issues, but kids exaggerate and kids tell their version of events which is often quite different from actual events, even if there is some truth to it.

I'm experiencing this now in regards to my daughter's boyfriend's family. There is no doubt that this family is totally disfunctional, with medical problems, addiction, unemployment, kids out of wedlock, etc. So I hear outrageous stories about the authorities coming to take away small children, eviction from housing due to not paying rent (money spent on drugs instead), brothers threatening to beat up family members, power turned off for not paying the bills, etc. I have come to the point where I realize there is some truth to the stories, but I always take them with a grain of salt, because the stories morph over time, and I don't know who or what to believe most of the time.

Yes it is hard to know. Internet forums are a very limited medium.

Children can exagerate, but it is not always so. I distinctly recall my mother's hands around my throat as she tried to strangle me. I also recall living with a broken arm, aged 5, for 6 weeks before anyone bothered to take me to a doctor.

My 2 sisters were abused for years.

My brother suffered terribly.

Often escape is a valid option.

Yes it is hard to know. Internet forums are a very limited medium.

Children can exagerate, but it is not always so. I distinctly recall my mother's hands around my throat as she tried to strangle me. I also recall living with a broken arm, aged 5, for 6 weeks before anyone bothered to take me to a doctor.

My 2 sisters were abused for years.

My brother suffered terribly.

Often escape is a valid option.

While you have my sympathies and your story is touching through it's personal manner, it is probably not the most relevant example to this case. Not to undermine the pain you went through or the reality of terrible parenting, even less extreme cases can leave severe mental scars, it is worth remembering that adolescent minds are highly impressionable. You wouldn't want to insinuate a comparison between what you went through and having a paranoid father freaking out due to the media.

Frost I agree totally. I post the extreme so the OP can see that some situations are, shall we say, over the top. As mine were. And there is much more. But also some funny times. Especially while working as a fisherman in Victoria. But that's another story. :)

Back