Yamaha Hex Rack System

Hi Metallo,

In general (understand: a part from a few exceptions), whatever rack you get you'll have to buy boom arms and clamps to attach them.

Concerning the Hex Rack, I'd avoid buying one right now. They are being discontinued and it is virtually impossible to buy the HXTC clamps needed to hang anything on them because stocks are out.

But you can get the new clamps as they come out (and they will and have to make them fit to the Hex ;) )

Alos the older Super Rack clamps work perfect on the Hex.

And yes you need booms and arms or you're cymbals and toms (just like with most rack manufactures)

That's true Wess, you do make a point. But one has to consider a few things considering we are talking about a very expensive rack.

Nobody knows when these new clamps will be available. So for all anyone knows you could have a Hex Rack and be waiting a year before you can do anything with it.

Nobody know how these clamps will fit the Hex Rack. The now unavailable HXTC clamps look very nice on the Hex, but some people might not like the aesthetics of the Super Rack clamps (how much do they cost and are they even available in stores?) or even the new ones (again we know nothing of them at all at this point).

I know you can still find HXBC clamps quite easily and can substitute the HXTC. But these cost about 50€ - approximately 20 more than the HXTC and twice the price of clamps for the more common brands (Pearl, Gibraltar) racks.

I think it does take some thinking about. But if the above is not bothering to someone then why not?

Just my two cents on the matter...

thanks for the replies..

still think the hex rack looks pretty cool..

im thinking of the yamaha natural wood, SC birch with the hex rack..

sweet.

Hi Metallo,

In general (understand: a part from a few exceptions), whatever rack you get you'll have to buy boom arms and clamps to attach them.

Concerning the Hex Rack, I'd avoid buying one right now. They are being discontinued and it is virtually impossible to buy the HXTC clamps needed to hang anything on them because stocks are out.

Are you freakin kidding me? Yamaha Hex Racks have been discontinued? Is this information in print somewhere? If this is true, I'm tempted to stock up on replacement parts while I can. I love my Hex Rack.

Are you freakin kidding me? Yamaha Hex Racks have been discontinued? Is this information in print somewhere? If this is true, I'm tempted to stock up on replacement parts while I can. I love my Hex Rack.

No joke - this is true.Yamaha are being a bit secret about it (some stores even believe that they can still order parts) but high profile endorsers have announced it on their Twitter account just as other smaller endorsers here and on other forums. I have also had confirmation directly from Yamaha Europe via mail. In short Yamaha have problems with their supplier who also hold the hex shape patent. This is why Guitar Center in the US had big price drop offers on them.

Good luck on stocking up replacement parts - there already isn't much around. Yamaha's R&D are already working on a replacement that should be compatible with the Hex Rack but we have absolutely no idea when it will be available. If you search on the boards for Hex Rack threads you will find discussions about it. The actual news broke out first on the Pearl Drummers Forum.

No joke - this is true.Yamaha are being a bit secret about it (some stores even believe that they can still order parts) but high profile endorsers have announced it on their Twitter account just as other smaller endorsers here and on other forums. I have also had confirmation directly from Yamaha Europe via mail. In short Yamaha have problems with their supplier who also hold the hex shape patent. This is why Guitar Center in the US had big price drop offers on them.

Good luck on stocking up replacement parts - there already isn't much around. Yamaha's R&D are already working on a replacement that should be compatible with the Hex Rack but we have absolutely no idea when it will be available. If you search on the boards for Hex Rack threads you will find discussions about it. The actual news broke out first on the Pearl Drummers Forum.

Thanks for the link. There was a lot to digest. Those two idiots arguing back and forth was kind of unnecessary, though.
I hope Yamaha is able to work through the issue they're having and pick up where they left off.
It will be interesting to see if some other company starts to market the Hex Rack like the one idiot was saying. I would prefer Yamaha parts but if the only thing available is through another manufacturer, I'll buy that.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything at all about Yamaha's plans introduce a new version of the Hexrack. What about original supplier of the Hexrack? Has anyone seen it released under a different brand?

Just about every day I look around the web for Hexrack parts. I check ebay and craigslist as well as all over google. Though I only want a couple more clamps, I've come very close to buying another entire rack just have extra everything.
The other day I was looking through google images and saw a picture of some hexrack parts. When I went to the corresponding web site, I got the impression that maybe they would be able to make molds and fabricate the clamps for the Hexrack. It seemed like they may have done it before. I thought it was a shot in the dark but I called them anyway. The person that I got told me that he was not able to produce Hexrack parts but that he was the principal designer of the Hexrack. I told him to get out but he reassured me that he really was the guy.
He told me all about how the company he worked for (who also does the Roland drums racks) happened to be in Japan and stopped by Yamaha Drums. They asked if there was anything Yamaha needed and the folks at Yamaha told them about their current rack at the time and that it wasn't selling well. They wanted something that was way more advanced, something that would be competitive in the market. Yamaha basically gave them a blank piece of paper and told them to build something completely new from the ground up. In a matter of months they gave their first presentation where they showed off the hex shaped bars and the ball clamp. I guess the room fell silent and all of the sudden everyone from Yamaha wanted to take a smoke break. They all went outside for a cigarette, talked and returned completely sold on the concept.
I guess the company he worked for negotiated a deal where they also did all of the manufacturing as well. Yamaha did hold them to some pretty tight specs. Apparently the finish on all of the Hexrack parts is very expensive to produce. I asked him if that was why the Hexrack was so expensive and he told me that it was between that and the fact that his company made a good chunk of profit on the front end. Also, this company shared in the patents with Yamaha.
Everything was going fine for a while until the company in question got bought out by another larger company. Whatever happened, this new management didn't get along very well with Yamaha and jerked them around enough that Yamaha said screw it and pulled the plug on the whole deal. Not too long after that, the guy left the company in disgust. The funny thing is that both this company and Yamaha have the legal right to manufacture the Hexrack. The guy told me that he wouldn't doubt that his old company will put it out on the market under their own brand. He also told me that Yamaha is definitely manufacturing the Hexrack and that according to some people he's talked to who are in the know, parts are already starting to hit the suppliers here in the states. He doesn't know when they will be available to the general public but suspects mass availability may coincide with Winter NAMM 2011.
The entire time I was raving about the Hexrack and asking all of these questions. He was really down to earth and very nice. I feel lucky to have caught him at a moment in his day where he had time to talk and actually felt like talking. It was a pretty cool experience. I now have renewed faith that Hexrack parts will become available again soon. Hopefully they will be more affordable since Yamaha won't be splitting the profits with another manufacturer.

Hey guys. I'm selling my 3 sided hex rack rack on eBay. It includes the rack and six clamps (no tom arms or cymbal booms). I just have too many components and can't find the rack clamps anywhere. Plus I have a boat load of really nice stands, so I think I'm going to stick with a traditional set up.

Here's a recent pic. I only have it set up as a two sided unit since I used all of the clamps on the right side arm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300514595781&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

If you message me through eBay and tell me you saw it here, I'll discount the shipping as much as I can (I estimated a little high just in case). Thanks!

Attachments

• drums1.JPG
    drums1.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,667
  • drums2.JPG
    drums2.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,139
I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything at all about Yamaha's plans introduce a new version of the Hexrack. What about original supplier of the Hexrack? Has anyone seen it released under a different brand?

I posted this question on another forum (for Yamaha to answer) and just saw (from a Yamaha rep.) where they responded:

"The hexrack follow up is being worked on and will be compatible with current model.
NAMM report to follow after the show"

so hopefully we'll have more details soon....

Back