Ahead or Pork Pie BBB snare

I'm having a hard time decide between the pork pie, the ahead and the pearl sensitone elite. I wish the ahead came in 6.5. Is there any sound difference between the three? If there isn't than i can just save my money and buy the pork pie?

There's not much difference between 6.5 and a 6.
The 6 might be a little less deep sounding if you tune down, but with the fatness of the S-Hoops...
I haven't heard anything bad about the Ahead snare, just good.

The PP is a fine snare, but there isn't anything different from it than any other seamed BB copy snare. It's the same shell used by everyone else.
The Ahead's shell doesn't have a center bead, which will make it a little different, the S-Hoops are really nice hoops, and it has a better throw and butt plate than the PP too.

Just my 2 cents.

I had a 1979 Blue & Olive badge Black beauty. I took it to a shop and played the Pork Pie Big Brass along side it. In a blind test we couldn't choose between them, no matter what heads or how they were tuned, so I bought the Pork Pie and sold the BB for a nice profit. It's a great drum at a great price and if it got damaged or stolen at a gig it wouldn't bother me... can't say the same for the BB. The Ahead has more features but, to my ears, a harsher tone.

for that price you can get a pearl free floating, which is more versatile because you can use it afterwards with other shells

I use either a coated Ambassador or Vintage A on top with clear ambassador snare side.

Thanks yeah good set up, I'm contemplating getting a die cast for the batter head, but not sure if its worth the 100$ to find out. I've heard it brings more tone, especially on the brass.
Thoughts?

Thanks yeah good set up, I'm contemplating getting a die cast for the batter head, but not sure if its worth the 100$ to find out. I've heard it brings more tone, especially on the brass.
Thoughts?
Die cast won't so much bring out more tone; they'll dry out the ring, focus the attack, and give you killer rimshots.

I put S-Hoops on my brass Sensitone and they get closer to a die cast stiffness and focused attack for only 1/3 what die cast would cost. But maybe the best thing about S-Hoops is how they feel when you play on them. They fall into the "stick saver" category, but could as easily be call "wrist savers." I just bought another pair for my Supra.

Die cast won't so much bring out more tone; they'll dry out the ring, focus the attack, and give you killer rimshots.

I put S-Hoops on my brass Sensitone and they get closer to a die cast stiffness and focused attack for only 1/3 what die cast would cost. But maybe the best thing about S-Hoops is how they feel when you play on them. They fall into the "stick saver" category, but could as easily be call "wrist savers." I just bought another pair for my Supra.

Thanks Mike I'll look into it, I also have a 402, you say it makes it sound better as well?
I may just outfit both my metal snares then. I looked at the prices and it seems I can do both the pp and the 402 for about one diecast.

If you really want a Black Beauty, save a few more bucks and get a Black Beauty. I got a 6.5X14 hammered BB with Imperial lugs from eBay for $400. I see them on eBay regularly at around the $400 mark. It's a lifetime investment.

If you really want a Black Beauty, save a few more bucks and get a Black Beauty. I got a 6.5X14 hammered BB with Imperial lugs from eBay for $400. I see them on eBay regularly at around the $400 mark. It's a lifetime investment.

The BB are nice but with all the affordable knock offs out there now then, I'l buy one of them and put the rest to better pedals or hats etc. The BB are outstanding, and 400 is a good deal, but looking on ebay, the cheapest one I ever see there is 500 plus bucks.

Last edited:
Back