DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:22 AM

Default Cracked head during show

So my bass drum is cracking and it got me thinking, what would someone do if they were playing a gig and their snare or bass head broke during the show and didn't have a back up. Is there any quick fix that someone could do so they wouldn't have to finish the set without a bass or snare?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Re: Cracked head during show

Take an extra snare and some tape for the bass drum
Old 10-08-2012, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member

I broke a snare head once and didn't have a back up snare.....thankfully I was smart enough to at least have a speare head. I finished the song off just playing rhythms on the hats, cymbals and toms. The band then swung into some banter, followed by an accoustic number while I high tailed it offstage to do a quick head change.

Valuable lesson learnt. I never gigged without a back up snare again. If you don't have one, at least carry a spare head.

I've never broken a bass drum head but LarryAce has a great idea there. Carry a couple of sheets of clear contact to patch over any hole. It's only a quick fix but it will get you through the gig.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:33 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Thanks Jules. 8 x 11 clear plastic laminating sheets. Peel off the backer and stick it over the tear. You can use 2 if you are worried. Or 3. Pretty quick fix if they are kept handy.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:43 AM

I tore thru a kick head at a gig once when the beater head snapped off the beater rod of the kick pedal. Had no extra kick head that night, but did have an extra beater and taped the head on both sides with duct tape. It held great and still sounded suprisingly good. Crisis averted.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

You can survive a bass head breaking... but better yet is to just go cough up the bucks and get it replaced if it looks that thrashed.

Snares - YES. If you break a snare head, game over. You can survive nearly any other head breaking, but the snare is what people expect to hear out of you.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:38 PM

for breaking a snare head, best to have a back up snare. I use two snares, one main 14x5.5 snare and a 13x3 piccolo snare. If my main snare breaks I can just go to the piccolo for the rest of the set and then I have a spare snare head I can throw on during a break. For the kick head, this HAS actually happened to me on a few occasions. Duct tape is your best friend in this case lol. That and an extra Remo "falam" kick pad. I also carry a spare kick head that I keep in the trunk of my car so in that case I could change it out during a break as well. The duct tape will sound like poop but it will get you thru the set. When it happens in the middle of a song, I play the kick drum parts on the floor tom thru the end of the song.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Duct tape is your friend.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:30 PM

I always carry a used spare snare head in my snare case. However, if I was caught without a spare, I always have 2 backup snare heads on my 14" floor tom...single (reso) or double ply (batter), take your pick.

I'd much rather be out a floor tom than a snare, so I don't care to steal one to make it through a show. I guess I would just move the 14" out of the way and slide my 16" FT in its place.

I also placed a used spare 22" BD head in our bands' equipment trailer, but a small patch of tape or contact paper would last until I could retrieve and change it out.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:42 PM

Yeah so i guess if you don't have an extra snare or head your pretty screwed...can't use tape for that. For the bass i did just watch a video where some guy used packaging tape. Probably makes no difference if its packaging or duct tape though.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

One time this stupid venue owner told us that a drum set was "too loud" and that I would have to play bongos. I really wanted to crack his head, but I've still never had that happen.

But in seriousness, the one time we had a bass drum head split on us was a house kit. Took some cheap tape and taped a cardboard drink coaster over the hole. It worked really well actually, it sounded kinda better than before it had a coaster on it... Rebound was good, and attack was much improved.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Have seen people do the duct tape on both sides thing. I guess it's a decent last resort.

I thought I was covered carrying a flam pad with me but was at a jam night the other week and the drummer (who is fortunately a good friend of mine) was pushing his luck with the head on a spare kit he uses for jams. I was the lucky one who went though it which really surprised me since he has such a heavy foot. I pulled the flam pad out of my stick bag and discovered it wasn't big enough to cover the hole. This head had worn though leaving about a 2" hole in the middle. Fortunately he knew right away what happened and ran to his car for the new head he had waiting. Probably should have put it on before the gig but starving pros tend to push their luck with gear on small time gigs. We both had crank style keys on hand and working each half of the drum got it changed in a couple of minutes. But this got me thinking.

The plastic laminating sheet sounds like a good idea. Doesn't take up much space and can save the day.

I always carry two snares. Typically a low tuned one for the beginning of the night and a louder one for when things get rolling. If something went wrong, I could always use the other.

In my guitar playing days, I always had a spare guitar tuned up and ready to go. I can change a string pretty quickly and have done it in the middle of songs in between the important parts, but with a floating tremolo on a Strat, once you break a string, the whole thing goes badly out of tune. So you can't even finish the song playing on the remaining strings.

The thing that scares me is the hi-hat stand. A spare kick pedal doesn't take up that much room in the car but I don't know how many folks carry a spare hat stand. When the pull rod on my DW5000 stand came apart on me I was stunned. Fortunately it happened after a gig, in the first 5 minutes of practice the next day. When I took it apart, I was surprised at the inherently weak design. It's gone and I have a Pearl double cam stand now which seems better made. But while I have a lightweight one I use with my Safari kit, I don't carry it around to gigs.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
One time this stupid venue owner told us that a drum set was "too loud" and that I would have to play bongos. I really wanted to crack his head, but I've still never had that happen.

But in seriousness, the one time we had a bass drum head split on us was a house kit. Took some cheap tape and taped a cardboard drink coaster over the hole. It worked really well actually, it sounded kinda better than before it had a coaster on it... Rebound was good, and attack was much improved.
That's funny, we also get told we're too loud at every gig (we don't play mic'd)...
Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerfLad View Post
That's funny, we also get told we're too loud at every gig (we don't play mic'd)...
I hadn't even started to play yet. I was loading in my bass drum and he got a worried look on his face... I asked if everything was okay and he said "drums are too loud; do you have some bongos or something?"

Once I assured him it would not be "too loud" he let us play, but I kinda did want to crack his head right then... I mean, he called us for a gig... He aught to know who he's calling.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:51 AM

I'm pretty sure during a video of The Who. Keith broke a bass drum head, someone had to come and switch it. haha, well luckily he used two bass drums, but still.