DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:27 PM

Default Too old...?

So... I'm currently a bass player - gigging with a band and have a great time. But... for some of our tracks we could do with a drummer, and we don't currently have one. After thinking about it a lot I realise that I'd really like to play drums perhaps more than just as an occasional stand in.

I can't play a beat at the moment and I'm a relative late starter (46) - any advice? Am I too late to become good at this? Where do I get a kit from, are lessons worth it?

Help! :)
Old 10-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Too old...?

Never too old. I started at 44 not having a clue on how to even properly hold a stick. A year and a half later and I'm doing okay. You'll have an advantage being a bass player already. Go for it! Find a good teacher and have fun!

And welcome :)
Old 10-05-2012, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Hi. There must be something about being in your mid 40s and taking the leap into drumming world. I'd suggest your local Craigslist for a use drum set. Could go wrong with a Yamaha Stage Custom. I'd start there. For cymbals it's a bit tougher being a newbie and finding used cymbals. I'd just spend $450 and get a Zildjian A cymbal pack. That is, if you're rather serious. Have fun.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:33 PM

I don't think that the notion of "too old" (or too young) apply to those artistic endeavours like music. If you feel like hitting a wooden barrel with a small wooden dowel is what you would like to do (I love it), go for it. The skills will come in time. There's quite a lot of people whom are self-taught, and quite a lot who got lessons. Depends on what you want to do.

Welcome to percussion!
Old 10-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like you're in an outfit without drummer. But you need a beat.
Go for it. All you need is a snare, bass drum, hi hats and a ride cymbal, learn how to use it and you have 80% of drumming. There is so much on the net and DVD to learn quickly from now.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:40 PM

Hey - thanks for all the comments/advice - friendly lot :)
Old 10-05-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Hi. There must be something about being in your mid 40s and taking the leap into drumming world. (snip). Have fun.
Mid-life crisis perhaps? Realising that time is running out and not wanting to look back and regretting not doing those things you really wanted to do?
Old 10-06-2012, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

Ahhh yes.Next comes the Harley chopper,tatoos and staying up late at night.

There's nothing wrong with taking up playing drums in your 40's.It's not too difficult learning simple beats at first.As a bass player you already understand time,so that's something you won't have to struggle with.It just takes time and as much practise as you're willing to put in.

Welcome to the forum,and the club.Cheers:)

Steve B
Old 10-06-2012, 01:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdowner View Post
Mid-life crisis perhaps? Realising that time is running out and not wanting to look back and regretting not doing those things you really wanted to do?
Coincidentally the band I'm in is called Mid Life Crisis (MLC)
:-)
Old 10-06-2012, 01:09 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Hey - thanks for all the comments/advice - friendly lot :)
Yes, the brotherhood on the forum is very friendly and full of seasoned players which gives very good advices :)

No, you're not too old and it's not too late (it's never wrong to make the right decision, lol)

Start with simple beats, find a good teacher (he'll put you in the right track) and you can find a good secondhand kit on e-bay or craig list.

But be careful... drumming is a very addictive instrument, once you've started it's like a drug, you can't give it up :)

Welcome to the best drum forum on the planet :)
Old 10-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Hi. There must be something about being in your mid 40s and taking the leap into drumming world. I'd suggest your local Craigslist for a use drum set. Could go wrong with a Yamaha Stage Custom. I'd start there. For cymbals it's a bit tougher being a newbie and finding used cymbals. I'd just spend $450 and get a Zildjian A cymbal pack. That is, if you're rather serious. Have fun.

2 things stand out here - I think you mean to say 'Can't go wrong with Yamaha Stage Customs', and you have really good prices in PA - Zildjian A packs are usually $650 to $699 around here.

About age - IMO, as long as you can still fog a mirror, it's not too late to try taking up almost anything.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Yes, the brotherhood on the forum is very friendly and full of seasoned players which gives very good advices :)

No, you're not too old and it's not too late (it's never wrong to make the right decision, lol)

Start with simple beats, find a good teacher (he'll put you in the right track) and you can find a good secondhand kit on e-bay or craig list.

But be careful... drumming is a very addictive instrument, once you've started it's like a drug, you can't give it up :)

Welcome to the best drum forum on the planet :)
I am so glad to know Im not the only human being to- ow my ears are ringing- I should get better ear equipment- be addicted to drums!
Old 10-06-2012, 02:00 AM
Silver Member

Once you get going on the drums, try not to be overly critical of your bass player! Seriously,
this does happen when drummers switch to bass and vice versa. Have fun on the drums!
Never too late to get going...the fact you are a bass player already will help a lot.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:47 AM

Never too late (or too old)...

If you decide to give it a try, may I suggest:

www.mikeslesssons.com

for relatively cheap ($20/mo) lessons from a phenomenal quality teacher. I am not suggesting that this approach is better than 1 on 1 lessons in person with a professional teacher but you will gain quite a nice vocabulary of beats and fills as well as have your questions answered in his live online lessons. A GREAT deal of info for $20/month.

Good luck!
Old 10-06-2012, 03:01 AM
Administrator - Mayor

I am 64, Will you still need me, will you still feed me, and have been playing for about 5 years, after a 32 year hiatus. I am so glad I started over and can say I am better now than then especially drum set. if you don't try you will never know. You don't have to go broke buying new stuff, as was mentioned try the used market. Best of luck.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:04 AM
Platinum Member

You're never too old until you're too old. I'm 59 and I'm just taking up painting, something that takes years to master, and I have those years.

So do you.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:54 AM

Never too old mate, I bought my first kit 2 years ago at 50, now 52 and quite happy I can hold a groove.... will never be a flat out double kick , crazy fill kind of player..... but dont care I always wanted to play and now live in a house where the neighbours are far enough away not to have complaints.

I actually found to my surprise because I didnt care about being cool, and being happy to learn different styles that when I "test" gear at a shop I get complimented on my tecnigue and theyre often surprised how long ive been at it for....... a lot to be said for an old head I think, and a willingness to learn and experiment.

This forum is great because your exposed to so many different opinions and styles...you get to appreciate theres many paths you can take and ways of playing...and its friendly ( and funny) as well.

Hope you love playing and enjoy being here as much as I am !!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:05 AM
Silver Member

I would definitely suggest getting a good teacher. You can learn on your own but with one on one instruction you just get more out of it. It will also help having someone identify your weaknesses and helping you when you struggle with things.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrocker View Post
I would definitely suggest getting a good teacher. You can learn on your own but with one on one instruction you just get more out of it. It will also help having someone identify your weaknesses and helping you when you struggle with things.
I've already sent a few emails out to potential teachers locally so I'm on my way.. :)
Old 10-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

Never too old! I always tell students (and anybody willing to listen) that all it takes is the right amount of desire. Hell, you already know that since you already play an instrument, so what are you asking us for? Get on it!

From time to time I get hit with a bug to learn something completely new, and ever since I saw Tony Levin playing Chapman Stick back in 1979, I've always wanted to learn how to play one. Unfortunately, it's not an instrument that you can find at any ol' music store so for the last 33 years, I've dreamed about it.

That would be an interesting thread: How do you temper your desire to learn something completely new? How does the 'want' get translated into 'doing'? How long do you plug away with no good results? Hmm....
Old 10-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
One person told me I was having a mid life crisis because I took up the piano and violin at 34, and some others gave me funny looks. Screw 'em; if you want to do it just do it and have fun. Of course it is not too late. With every new instrument its like discovering a whole new world to get lost in. I've drawn the line at 3 though, otherwise I wouldn't be able to give each one the attention it needs, plus can't think of anything else I really want to learn!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

I think every person who feels too old should start something new.

Get a pair of sticks and a practice pad to start.

Get some lessons...feel humble...learn to learn again...or possibly for the first time!

Get a set...get some new friends...play some music...laugh.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:15 AM

Never too old. I am 54 and just started piano lessons. So fun.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:42 AM

all it takes is the equipment and the passion
Old 10-08-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I think every person who feels too old should start something new.

Get a pair of sticks and a practice pad to start.

Get some lessons...feel humble...learn to learn again...or possibly for the first time!

Get a set...get some new friends...play some music...laugh.
This....................
Old 10-08-2012, 03:13 PM

Deal done, kit ordered (Odery shells, Tama hardware, TRX DRK cymbals)... Now starts a long slow road to learn...

My first lesson was so much fun though - it's already addictive! :)

Next lesson thursday...
Old 10-08-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Deal done, kit ordered (Odery shells, Tama hardware, TRX DRK cymbals)... Now starts a long slow road to learn...

My first lesson was so much fun though - it's already addictive! :)

Next lesson thursday...
Well done and welcome on board. Get a practice pad and go through stick control and rudiments each day, read, listen, and talk to other drummers here and else where. It's a fantastic journey that never ends. One day you will find the snare that has the sound that you've always been looking for, and that is a wonderful day.

Paul
Old 10-08-2012, 04:40 PM
jackie k
This message has been deleted by jackie k.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:19 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Two words, brain plasticity. Drumming is one of the best anti aging things out there. I think it should be prescribed by doctors for depression as well. It could be one of the best choices you ever make. I can't say enough about it. It is a constant challenge, if you want it to be. It's a constant source of pleasure, if you want it to be. It can be an outlet for frustration, aggression and depression, if you want it to be. It can soothe you and make things all better. It can be anything you want it to be. I truly feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have something in their life, other than loved ones, that is as fulfilling as drumming is to me.

Playing drums and being able to create groove....Not everyone who plays drums can groove, all I can say is that it's a great goal, to be able to groove. It doesn't take monster technique either, but more technique is always a good thing, used wisely anyway. It's more about how deeply you feel things. I think it's fair to say I am completely obsessed with drumming. I had a gig last night with my newest band. We did this song...OMG it grooved so hard that 2 of the band members commented to me right after the song was over how that was the deepest groove that song was ever in. You talk about your feeling of fulfillment....it's amazing how a few words and knowing smiles from my mates can make me completely fulfilled. I love that feeling. It lasts for 2 days with me.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 PM

if you already play bass then you have a good start. You should already understand groove, and if you've played with drummers at all you should probably know the basics like 1&3 on kick, 2&4 on snare (depending on the style), ride on either the hihat or ride cymbal, etc... Definately not too old to start. As a drummer who also on occasion plays bass, I will tell you that learning another instrument, ESPECIALLY another instrument that goes so hand in hand with your main instrument, will make you a better bass player, just as playing bass makes me a better drummer, because you'll have revalations and come to understandings you never knew before. Best of luck and welcome to the family! :)
Old 10-08-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesporter View Post
if you already play bass then you have a good start. You should already understand groove, and if you've played with drummers at all you should probably know the basics like 1&3 on kick, 2&4 on snare (depending on the style), ride on either the hihat or ride cymbal, etc... Definately not too old to start. As a drummer who also on occasion plays bass, I will tell you that learning another instrument, ESPECIALLY another instrument that goes so hand in hand with your main instrument, will make you a better bass player, just as playing bass makes me a better drummer, because you'll have revalations and come to understandings you never knew before. Best of luck and welcome to the family! :)
thanks for that :)

I'm off to pick up my new kit tomorrow and I honestly can't wait!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Two words, brain plasticity...
.................................................. ...................................
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
Coincidentally the band I'm in is called Mid Life Crisis (MLC)
Do you play FNM's song by that title? :D
Old 10-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

I'm always a bit mystified by these "too old" posts.

Give me a break. It's music. You're only too old when you physically can't do it anymore. If you're imposing some artificial "I have to be a virtuoso at some point" goal on yourself, then maybe it is wrong for you. Just play music and don't worry about what other people can or can't do. Play for you.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:56 PM

No one is too old to learn any instrument. If you think you like the instrument, try it and find out if it fits for you or not!

<a href=http://www.facebook.com/adoneyrocks target=_blank>www.facebook.com/adoneyrocks</a>
Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
Do you play FNM's song by that title? :D
No...we want to play originals, and only have 3 covers at the moment, which we are working on phasing out (but they are soooooooo much fun to play bwuhuhuh).

Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
thanks for that :)

I'm off to pick up my new kit tomorrow and I honestly can't wait!
Great stuff.
Enjoy...