DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:15 AM
Platinum Member

Default Someting that makes you go, "Hmm...."

So, with all the Supraphonic love Larry is spouting lately, I'd like to ask a theoretical question. Just to qualify, I've owned a couple of Supras, an Acrolite, and a black beauty, and I liked them all. But, do we all love the sound of the supra because it's a sound we've heard before and has become so ingrained in our minds because of all the recordings made with one, or is it really a good sound?

I find familiarity makes me love something more, and when I think about it, all those early radio hits were basically made by four people: Hal Blaine, Gary Chester, Earl Palmer, and Alan Jackson (I know there were others, but for sheer volume of output, these guys were the guys). I'm pretty sure they all played Supraphonics, so that snare drum sound was heard everywhere and has seeped into every budding drummers' sub-conscious mind. Plus Ludwig pretty much owned the educational market throughout the 50s through the 70s, so we've probably all played a Ludwig snare drum at some point as students.

What say you?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Someting that makes you go, "Hmm...."

What is the point of a thread where Travis Barker isn't mentioned?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
HAhahahaha!

Old 08-14-2012, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
THAT one is hilarious.

To the OP, I get your point,we like what we know or grew up on but I'd say there has been a an evolution somewhat in what snares sound like, to suit newer musical styles. The "fat" sound of the 60s and 70's Supra present in so many recordings is surely what many folks heard, but there seems to be a trend in the last decade, and plenty of room, to adopt to other snare sounds that the Supra is not known for. Snappy, poppy snares, say sounds of a 7 x 13 snare, or exotic woods, and so on. These are not in all music, but clearly those kinds of snare sounds were not popular in any 60's - 70's music in which the Supra reigned.

I also question how much 'myth' it is that the Supra was really used in all those recordings, or is the most recorded snare? Who documents this stuff? Do we really have solid proof, other than Hal Blaine used one and is one of the most recorded drummers?
Old 08-14-2012, 01:27 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah, it's kinda like how your vocals don't quite sound "radio ready" unless you record them with a U87. It's THAT sound.

I'm not a fan of the 14x5 Supra from the driver's seat, but it sounds good in the house. Even better is the 14x6.5 which sounds great from both locations. But, there are TONS of snares that I like the sound of much more than the Supraphonics/Acrolites.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 08-14-2012, 01:47 AM
Platinum Member

I never really got the whole Supra is best thing.
I have played them and liked them but I never saw them as the best.
My "Girl Friday" snare in my old Gretsch 4165 COB.
I have owned it for 36 years and I have never thought of selling it.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:06 AM
Platinum Member

For me personally, that's exactly the reason. Not so much the fact that they were so widely used on recordings, but certainly due to the fact that my old man played one. That sound, along with Zildjian A's became ingrained at a very early age as being :"what drums (and cymbals) sound like."

I love the sound in it's own right, but there's little doubt to me that a long "familiarity" with them has formed that opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
I also question how much 'myth' it is that the Supra was really used in all those recordings, or is the most recorded snare? Who documents this stuff? Do we really have solid proof, other than Hal Blaine used one and is one of the most recorded drummers?
My understanding is that it's no myth. But it's also worth remembering that the Supra gained that reputation back in a time when there weren't nearly as many snare drums on the market as there are today.....Dynasonics, Jazz Festivals, a few Gretsch snares and a select few others were about the only competition. "The most recorded snare ever" seems to be factual....but it's more by default than anything else.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:15 AM
Platinum Member

I do find it funny that I call my Tama Stewart Copeland snare a Rogers "Dynasonic Killer" - which it is - it sounds identical to a Dynasonic that I played in college. And oddly enough, my Tama Rockstar 6.5x14 snare sounds really close to an old Supra I used to own ;)

I'm sure if, like the new generations, I grew up with a Trick snare or an Ahead black brass snare, I'd think those were what all snares are supposed to sound like.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:39 AM
Platinum Member

I think part of the myth of the Supra is built on the drummers who famously played them, and the sounds they got using them. Bonham, Hal, and so forth - for a couple of generations, they pretty much dictated what snares were supposed to sound like. And let's not duck this point: Supras are great workhorse drums. A well-tuned Supra is a wonderful sound.

As mentioned in the other thread of late, now there's such an explosion of choice, it really is an individualistic choice as to what you want your snare to sound like. Not just snares, but heads, tunings, sizes...

As I mentioned in the other thread, I play a cheap Supra knockoff made in Japan or China or some such, not because I'm necessarily enamored of the Supra sound (although I am), but because it just sounds so darn good I don't feel strongly enough about getting anything else. Yet. But when I do, it almost certainly won't be a Supra.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:56 AM

The Supraphonics and the Black Beauty hold the quality that I look for when I look into a snare drum, and that's versatility. I can think of snare drums I used (both expensive and budget aimed) that would go with a certain genre that I'm playing. But the Supra and BB sound good with just about everything. You can tune a Black Beauty and go sidestick your way through a waltz, or you can tighten it up and go sit in with a Metallica tribute band. The Supraphonic is the same way.

I recently found an 80s Tama Swingstar at a Goodwill, I threw new heads on it, and polished off the surface rust, and for and inexpensive drum, I can tune it to sound good with just about anything. I don't really have the money to spend on any sort of drum equipment, and the times when I can make a big investment are few, and far between. So for me, mid-level equipment is a big deal.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:51 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Hmm...

... looks like an H is missing in the title of this thread, I wonder if Travis Barker would notice...
Old 08-14-2012, 04:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
... looks like an H is missing in the title of this thread,
I think it's in honour of our Irish members.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:46 AM
Platinum Member

I had a 5x14 Supra briefly about 20 years ago that I wasn't blown away by, and picked my first 402 a few years ago and I just really like playing it. It's just so easy to make it sound good and i like the way it sounds more than any other snare I've owned - even more than my more recently acquired BB.

On most of the recordings they've been on over the years, I don't think they're often all that distInct. I'm sure that has more to do with muffling, though, as too much of that will make most snares sound the same.

My Band
Old 08-14-2012, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
And oddly enough, my Tama Rockstar 6.5x14 snare sounds really close to an old Supra I used to own ;)
I would never have admitted this until you put it out there, but I too love that stupid rockstar snare. It's like my dirty little secret. I have a more expensive snare sitting in the closet most of the time, because I just like the sound of the cheap tama drum.

Frankly, the whole kit is really nice sounding for both what they cost new and especially what I paid for it second-hand from a craigslist mom selling her kid's kit they never used. If memory serves they are mahogany/birch, and they sound great, nice and warm and pleasant in the tone department.

I gig them because I don't have to worry so much about a ding here or there when it's not my nice lacquer finish, just a rockstar wrap that I can replace if I need. Nobody's ever bad-mouthed them. On the contrary, in fact.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hmm...

... looks like an H is missing in the title of this thread, I wonder if Travis Barker would notice...
Details, details.....jeez.....
Old 08-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I would never have admitted this until you put it out there, but I too love that stupid rockstar snare. It's like my dirty little secret. I have a more expensive snare sitting in the closet most of the time, because I just like the sound of the cheap tama drum.

Frankly, the whole kit is really nice sounding for both what they cost new and especially what I paid for it second-hand from a craigslist mom selling her kid's kit they never used. If memory serves they are mahogany/birch, and they sound great, nice and warm and pleasant in the tone department.

I gig them because I don't have to worry so much about a ding here or there when it's not my nice lacquer finish, just a rockstar wrap that I can replace if I need. Nobody's ever bad-mouthed them. On the contrary, in fact.
It's ok to come out about it, man. It's all good ;)

Actually, mine is 1990's made out of that cheap steel, and mine has rust on the inside, and my bottom hoop cold definitely use a replacing since it's rusty, but the drum has character, and it does everything I need it to do - my Copeland stays with my nice kit but I don't play those that much even though both my kits are set up next to each other.

For some reason, having beautiful women dance in front of you all night loving the groove sure beats the heck out of some nerdy guy gushing over my expensive snare and trying to talk to me about other drummers ;)
Old 08-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SticksEasy View Post
The Supraphonics and the Black Beauty hold the quality that I look for when I look into a snare drum, and that's versatility. I can think of snare drums I used (both expensive and budget aimed) that would go with a certain genre that I'm playing. But the Supra and BB sound good with just about everything. You can tune a Black Beauty and go sidestick your way through a waltz, or you can tighten it up and go sit in with a Metallica tribute band. The Supraphonic is the same way.

I recently found an 80s Tama Swingstar at a Goodwill, I threw new heads on it, and polished off the surface rust, and for and inexpensive drum, I can tune it to sound good with just about anything. I don't really have the money to spend on any sort of drum equipment, and the times when I can make a big investment are few, and far between. So for me, mid-level equipment is a big deal.
This is the reason that though the rest of my Swingstar kit is long gone the snare has stayed with me through all my kits. The steel swingstar snares were good for everything. I never took to the wooden version the same way but then again i never really took to wooden snares. Well, i like wooden marching snares.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Silver Member

I think if I felt that a Supra was the ultimate snare drum, I'd probably own one. Regarding Larry's: I just really liked the tone he got out of it, even though it was through that Zoom. Whether or not that's a Supra™ tone, I don't know, but it just sounded better to me than the other snare drum.
Also, I think kids in 20 years will have no problem accepting an Ahead snare drum [or otherwise] as standard, as they will likely have heard it a lot and had it's tone ingrained in their auditory memory.
But then, I don't know.....what would Travis Barker think?
Old 08-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhanson View Post
I think if I felt that a Supra was the ultimate snare drum, I'd probably own one. Regarding Larry's: I just really liked the tone he got out of it, even though it was through that Zoom. Whether or not that's a Supra™ tone, I don't know, but it just sounded better to me than the other snare drum.
Also, I think kids in 20 years will have no problem accepting an Ahead snare drum [or otherwise] as standard, as they will likely have heard it a lot and had it's tone ingrained in their auditory memory.
But then, I don't know.....what would Travis Barker think?
Travis Barker? Who cares? What does Wailin' Smash and Jenns Hannemann think?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Silver Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I like Black Metal and Jazz and play a double-kick cocktail kit. My influences are: Wailin Smash, Drummer At The Wrong Gig and Amazing 7-year old drummer. I use old drumsticks as floor tom legs. Will this affect my tone?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
I use old drumsticks as floor tom legs. Will this affect my tone?
Hi Mikey, welcome to the forum.

No, it won't affect your tone, your voice will remain the same.

But, if you use old floor tom legs as drumsticks, it will affect your bank account.

Good luck and happy drumming.

Travis
Old 08-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Good luck and happy drumming.

Travis
Wow! All the greats hang out here! Travis Parker OMG!!1
I have your signature golf bags / stick bag combo!

Guys, what's my drums worth? It's a basic 5-piece with symbols that I got from my dad's attic...CB700 or Craviatto or something. I'd put up a pic but all I have is my Canon D-1 and can't get the ƒ-stop right. The one drum has wires on it.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
I have your signature golf bags / stick bag combo!
Nice one mate, yes it's a cool bag design, but be careful when picking drumsticks though... my bank account is very poor at the moment.

The drum has wires? hell, take them off, they're causing a lot of rattle, really annoying, everytime the Banana Split Drum County send me a new kit, I have to remove mine, what a nuisance.

Travis
Old 08-14-2012, 03:30 PM
The Old Hyde

I love my supra, but I don't know if there is one sound. Compare Alex Van Halen to Bonham. Two completely different sounds out of an LM402.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

I heard that new guy Travis Bonham uses a solid unobtainium supra made by Ringo Starr.And he has 27 custom Paistezildjinan crash cymbals,and rides on all of them at the same time,and has have his lungs re inflated after every song because of the sound pressure.I also heard his drum tech is Chuck Norris.

Can I get those cymbals in black for metal,and can I get the new depleted uranium hardware????? Can I,can I?

Steve B
Old 08-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

I LOVE Travis Bonham, especially his work with Bonham and Bailey Circus. As a drummer, he's a real philatelist! I saw him at the X Games, kissing casts, signing babies and doing paradribbles. I saw him do two pair while slamming a red bull.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
It's ok to come out about it, man. It's all good ;)

Actually, mine is 1990's made out of that cheap steel, and mine has rust on the inside, and my bottom hoop cold definitely use a replacing since it's rusty, but the drum has character, and it does everything I need it to do - my Copeland stays with my nice kit but I don't play those that much even though both my kits are set up next to each other.
I think mine is 91 or 92, pretty close. In good shape though, no rust, and the nickel color plate on the outside is still in good shape.

I tend to take it back and forth from my kits, though. Something about that snare's qualities and I get along great.

I need a cheap snare lover's support group.